S&P 500 & other indexes - intraday. Plus chat

Robster, was it the shift in VPOC that really threw that trade off? And were you not tempted to scratch it after it came back from 3 ticks onside? I guess that's easy for me to say, I imagine things move very fast on a 1 min chart!

Oh and here's a chance to win a 4 pack of Grolsch, just have to txt the number in the video: http://www.grolsch.co.uk/campaign/bigbold

Enjoy (y)

Robster, was it the shift in VPOC that really threw that trade off? And were you not tempted to scratch it after it came back from 3 ticks onside? I guess that's easy for me to say, I imagine things move very fast on a 1 min chart!

Oh and here's a chance to win a 4 pack of Grolsch, just have to txt the number in the video: http://www.grolsch.co.uk/campaign/bigbold

Enjoy (y)

Kind of. I use a move of VPOC to the area that I broadly entered as an indication that value has moved down towards me and a rotation is less likely to happen. Sometimes I trade out of it ok and today was one of those days where it didn't work out. There was a lot of heat down there today. Just got it wrong. :eek:

Kind of. I use a move of VPOC to the area that I broadly entered as an indication that value has moved down towards me and a rotation is less likely to happen. Sometimes I trade out of it ok and today was one of those days where it didn't work out. There was a lot of heat down there today. Just got it wrong. :eek:

These things happen. Tomorrow is another day, lets hope we get some better action than we did today.

Don't think I'll trade myself tomorrow though. Plan is to to keep my head down and get out of work as soon as possible! Then its off to Clapham for drinks with some old friends. If I'm not on again have a good weekend all.

Morning all Geckoes

12:30am JPY Revised Industrial Production m/m -3.4% -3.1% -3.1%
1:00am JPY BOJ Monthly Report
3:15am CHF PPI m/m -0.2% -0.2%
5:00am GBP CB Leading Index m/m 0.2%
Tentative EUR Italian 10-y Bond Auction 6.19|1.3
8:30am USD PPI m/m -0.5% -1.0%
8:30am USD Core PPI m/m 0.3% 0.2%
9:55am USD Prelim UoM Consumer Sentiment 73.5 73.2
9:55am USD Prelim UoM Inflation Expectations 3.1%

1:20pm USD FOMC Member Lockhart Speaks

Robster before breakfast ?

or

The Friday 13th Devil ?

Attachments

• Devil.jpg
    Devil.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 313
Ironically, the best pattern was pattern C on ftse which i've marked on the chart but haven't taken because it triggered after my cut off. The PA went through the days trendline and the same resistance line and then supllied me with a trigger which is usually a good sign.I'll be interested to see where it goes.

the above reached its target but the trigger was one period after my deadline - sod's law huh...:(

Anyone have any experience of Tom Demarks methods? I want something to finetune these breakouts and hopefully ditch some of the weaker ones and wondered whether there was any merit in his surmises. :?:

Does anyone think that the S&P 500 is led by any other index or commodity like gold ?

For instance today, gold has been in a steady ascent since 7 am this morning. The S&P has been going up since 11.00 am.

ES 09-12 (5 Min)  13_07_2012 1.jpg

Here's a more refined entry, still using the same auction prices. Refined doesn't mean to say that the outcome will be positive, but you can see that it allows for a greater degree of precision, trade management wise.

Does anyone think that the S&P 500 is led by any other index or commodity like gold ?

For instance today, gold has been in a steady ascent since 7 am this morning. The S&P has been going up since 11.00 am.

Dollar weakness should in theory feed through to $ quoted stock in the index through discount factors as price adjusts to compensate for the inflated opportunity cost of future dividend inflows and fx relative cost of stocks. I always end up thinking about how FX would influence the pricing mechanism through non-arb and relative value trading pertaining to ADRs and sector betas and mean reversion etc... Anyway I think it would be a dollar driver which would effect the commods too rather than commods driving in and of themselves.
Suppose in the shorter term though it would be the actual flows (e.g. rebalancing decisions, liquidations etc) that trump all of that in terms of affecting the prices, regardless of the rationale behind the moves. I could just be talking sh*t though and overcomplicating things as I tend to have a knack for both over my ability to trade :)

Anyhows, if you give me some closing prices I'd be happy to regress the returns for you and spit out a correlation coefficient. Need a decent sample size though. I'm quite bored.

I'm sure everyone hates the terms "risk on" "risk off" as much as I do, however, the reality of todays markets is exactly this.

Single instrument monkeys take note...your just gambling on an outcome, unless your taking into account the big picture.

My bad :eek:

I'm sure everyone hates the terms "risk on" "risk off" as much as I do, however, the reality of todays markets is exactly this.

Single instrument monkeys take note...your just gambling on an outcome, unless your taking into account the big picture.

My bad :eek:

All speculation is gambling, no matter what.