S&P 500 & other indexes - intraday. Plus chat

robster970

Veteren member
Encouraged by Flash in his live calls thread and valuing the advice I get when I do post my botched trades up, especially those where I entertain my desire to average/scale in, I thought I'd post the odd trade up here.

So there will be no real regularity to it, it will probably cover my losers more than my winners although sharing how I do take money off the table with people could improve that process too.

I am discretionary. There is no mechanical method to it so I will give you a blow by blow account of what I can see and why I took the trade, how I managed it, and how I got out.

It is largely based upon looking at higher TF charts for context but really operating off 5m/1m chart, DOM and T&S. I also like MP or the FT71 variant of it for framing what is going on.

I only trade ES. I also fix myself to 1 trade per day to force me to take the best shot. I am prone to overtrading so I control myself this way.

I completely ignore news although I am conscious of when news is out. I don't give a sh1t about editorial opinion. I just trade what I see. This took me a long time to learn.

Anyway, bless you all.

130312d1330074496-averaging-down-losing-position-mean-reverting-situation-bishop-john-gives-his-blessing_articleimage.png

Last edited:
re: Intra day S&P 500

First one here, winner today:

a. Ready for open, overnight high 1405.75, overnight low 1398.75
b. Opened in range, 345k CBAVOL - moderate pre-mkt volume, nothing to write home about
c. Conclusion is that nobody outside RTH thinks value has changed. Intraday, 1H show consolidation.
d. Open, takes out gap close almost immediately. Bounce from here.
e. Climbs, stalls at (1) - 1401.50 - watch this level - same as yesterday's high. RTH participants selling here.
f. Pushes down to overnight low (2) - rejection, note small buying tail on MP at that level. Buyers relatively serious here for now and have been active overnight.
g. Climbs again - (3) watch for re-test of 1401.50. Delta not giving anything away.
h. Stalling around this level. Short, market order, 1400.75 at (3), 13:40 GMT
i. Sit on hands, goes a bit offside but nothing unusual for me. MAE about 4 ticks.
j. Looking at viable targets, can feel the gravitation and re-test of overnight low at 1398.75 as an obvious with the possibility of a naked VPOC at 1397.25 from yesterday.
k. It goes south - good.
l. I see signs of buyers coming in on the DOM at the overnight low, get out with a market order at 1398.25 (4) at 13:54 GMT
m. 9 ticks profit before commissions.
n. MAE 4 ticks, MFE 17 ticks (53%).
o. Evaluation of best trade opportunity - this one but could have taken more off table by waiting for base to build around 97 level with sellers shut off by buyers.

Attachments

• ES210321.png
    ES210321.png
    43.4 KB · Views: 643
Last edited:

Just logging in to wish good luck.
I wish I could stick to one trade a day,Id need a rigid method to do that,something Im always looking for.

Just logging in to wish good luck.
I wish I could stick to one trade a day,Id need a rigid method to do that,something Im always looking for.

I liken it to taking a penalty. The focus it creates significantly improves my performance. It means I don't get complacent about the trade. I treat it as an event and something to do to the best of my ability. It works for me on many levels. It also means I can walk away afterwards and enjoy living my life.

First one here, winner today:

a. Ready for open, overnight high 1405.75, overnight low 1398.75
b. Opened in range, 345k CBAVOL - moderate pre-mkt volume, nothing to write home about
c. Conclusion is that nobody outside RTH thinks value has changed. Intraday, 1H show consolidation.
d. Open, takes out gap close almost immediately. Bounce from here.
e. Climbs, stalls at (1) - 1401.50 - watch this level - same as yesterday's high. RTH participants selling here.
f. Pushes down to overnight low (2) - rejection, note small buying tail on MP at that level. Buyers relatively serious here for now and have been active overnight.
g. Climbs again - (3) watch for re-test of 1401.50. Delta not giving anything away.
h. Stalling around this level. Short, market order, 1400.75 at (3), 13:40 GMT
i. Sit on hands, goes a bit offside but nothing unusual for me. MAE about 4 ticks.
j. Looking at viable targets, can feel the gravitation and re-test of overnight low at 1398.75 as an obvious with the possibility of a naked VPOC at 1397.25 from yesterday.
k. It goes south - good.
l. I see signs of buyers coming in on the DOM at the overnight low, get out with a market order at 1398.25 (4) at 13:54 GMT
m. 9 ticks profit before commissions.
n. MAE 4 ticks, MFE 17 ticks (53%).
o. Evaluation of best trade opportunity - this one but could have taken more off table by waiting for base to build around 97 level with sellers shut off by buyers.

Nice one.

I have a similar journal, come and join when you wish.

Today's trade. Missed the open.

a. ONH 1400.75, ONL 1386.25
b. Opened out of range to the downside bashing through the 92-93 level that has held up for the last few days.
c. Implication of this is that overnight participants believe that value has changed to the downside with an open at 1387.00
d. Interesting place to open, gap close at 1398.00 is quite a way away, NVPOC at 1398.50 also. Would have to see some pretty big movement from OTF to bring it back up to there so emphasis bearish today. NVPOC to downsde at 1377 - feel this is where it might head to.
e. At 14:10 GMT, 367k CBAVOL, low considering this also covers overnight activity and 40mins of trading
f. Struggling to make it past 1390.75, gradual grind up is running out of steam, low volume, delta negative (1)
g. Starts selling off, gradually and then boom
h. Hits ONL - volume spike, boom, long, market order 1387.25 at 14:18 GMT. Aware of trading against bearish tone (2)
i. Reckon it will retrace back to VPOC at 1388.50 before doing anything else up or down.
j. Out at 1388.25 with a market order at 14:21 GMT (3)
k. 4 ticks profit before commissions
l. MAE 2 ticks, MFE 5 ticks (80%)
m. Best trade, probably short at second attempt at RTH high around 1390.75 for the ride down to ONL/RTH low confluence at 1386.50 area for 16 ticks. Had not tuned in enough to take this trade.

Attachments

• ES210322.png
    ES210322.png
    41.1 KB · Views: 529
Last edited:

Nice one.

I have a similar journal, come and join when you wish.

Why not put the link up Mike? Maybe as you're signature or something. We could all do with some stuff to look at when the markets are quiet and we're twiddling things to stay entertained.:)
Good luck with it.(y)

Good luck with this robster. I used to limit myself to one trade a day but then i graduated to one loss per day instead and sometimes having two or three wins before the loss gives you a good nights sleep. I understand the need for the self discipline though. I don't trade ES myself but good luck.

Good luck with this robster. I used to limit myself to one trade a day but then i graduated to one loss per day instead and sometimes having two or three wins before the loss gives you a good nights sleep. I understand the need for the self discipline though. I don't trade ES myself but good luck.

Maybe that will change in time but I enjoy the work/life balance it creates for now.

No trading for tomorrow. I try to hit my weekly (soft) target before Friday. If I don't then I trade the Friday.

You'll also notice that I only trade the US morning session. I do monitor the entire session though, especially the lunchtime doldrums and finally the last hour leading to the close. Other monitoring points outside RTH are DAX & FTSE open/first hour of trading (7am to 9.30am GMT) and then ES behaviour when news is around at the 12:30/13:30 GMT/BST, mainly to gauge whether people think value has changed rather than the trading opportunity news itself presents.

Finally for today, you might have noticed that I don't trade with a stop or mention a stop. This is because I rely on a view of how the market is behaving based upon constant evaluation of it's state. Risk mgmt and trade mgmt are contextual to what is going on and are not fixed rules for me.

Rob your trading and idea generation seems to be as chaotically organised (but far more frequent) as mine. Dunno whether I should take comfort in that lol.

1 trade a day is all you need, frankly. If you master taking the best shot in a liquid market like ES you can just take on bigger and bigger positions as you feel comfortable.

I like your trading style, are you by chance a fan of futurestrader71? Your method has a lot in common with his.

Edit: I didn't read your first post, I see you are a fan of his. Good thing too, he knows what he's talking about.

You might like the presentation Peter Steidlemeyer did last summer if you haven't watched it already. Search for "volume strips" on the cme website. It's a bit hard to follow but he's basically talking about the volume profiling method.

Why not put the link up Mike? Maybe as you're signature or something. We could all do with some stuff to look at when the markets are quiet and we're twiddling things to stay entertained.:)
Good luck with it.(y)

Splashy,

This is my first trade, like Rob I try to be very selective with my trades, audusd long:

She forms higher bottoms (2, 3 and 4), then she goes into range, and a top barrier at (A) with 11 touches, note that the 00 round number is just above (blue line).

She also forms a barrier above it (12 touches) to trap bulls (B) and pulls back to (6) with the bottom barrier already drawn (4and 5), shaking off the bulls that entered at barrier (B).

Once the barrier (B) is broken by one pip I enter at market, I was aware of the 00 number just above but took the trade anyway (first red line, 1.03996) because of the underlying strength.

She went up, crossed the 00 number, and nearly reached my target of 7 pips, but did not, she pull back at the 00 and went up again, at the formation of the double top I got out. (red line,1.04053)

My risk was 7 pips, 2%. Made 5.7 pips, +1.22%

Was I right getting out before my target got reached? NO, but trading is not about outcomes but probabilities.

Attachments

• 23:3 -1.png
    23:3 -1.png
    17.7 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:

1 trade a day is all you need, frankly. If you master taking the best shot in a liquid market like ES you can just take on bigger and bigger positions as you feel comfortable.

This is what I have realised. The flip side to this though is the validity of the method and it's longetivity as trading less frequently means less certainty in the statistical significance. As it is discretionary it makes it even more complex. I am slightly but not debilitatingly paranoid about my edge disappearing. I know for the hit rate that a series of 3-4 losers is unlikely so this is what I have in the back of my mind to make me re-evaluate.

I like your trading style, are you by chance a fan of futurestrader71? Your method has a lot in common with his.

Edit: I didn't read your first post, I see you are a fan of his. Good thing too, he knows what he's talking about.

It's probably a bit simpler to describe me as being a fan of auction market theory. Classic Market Profile analysis gives me the general market context I am operating in, especially having some context on who is generally in control (buyers or sellers). Dalton's book 'Mind over Markets' was like a revelation when I read it for the first time.

FT71 and noBSTrading (John Grady) is probably what I do for the practicalities of executing the intraday trades. I use the concept of the Naked VPOC's from FT71 as they are areas of liquidity that the market frequently returns to. I do like FT71's style but I don't always agree with his analysis of conditions these days. You are right though, he is a phenomenally good trader.

I think if I try and describe what I generally watching for, they fall into 4 categories:

1) The finish of the opening swing and catching this reversal. This is a very early play and it is normally accompanied on T&S with a complete absence of activity at that level (i.e. no counter-party wants to trade at this level) or you see the VPOC shift to this level (DOM reloading a level all the time) which tells me that buyers have shut off sellers(go long) or sellers have shut off buyers (go short). As it is early in the proceedings, the market then auctions back in the other direction.

2) Tests of key levels that form the low or the high in the first 0-90mins after the open (reversal again). These are generally reversal to the mean type trades with the target either being the VPOC or the other extreme of the range again. These reversals can be from the ONH, ONL, RTH-H, RTH-L, RTH-Open, etc, etc - basically some level you know is important to somebody right now. If I feel confident about the way T&S/DOM looks on the first test of these levels, I take the shot then. If it looks suspicious, I will wait for later in the session for the re-test.

3) On an OD/OTD/ORR kind of day, you don't really want to be trying to take a reversal, especially when the first 30m candle is v.long and has a strong directional conviction. I normally wait for a consolidaton/pullback and go with the trend.

4) Sometimes you can see accumulation for a breakout occurring through a level being blocked off and auction rotations moving progressively up. I will get positioned prior to the breakout and sell into the people who play the other side of the BO. This is a very late trade for me and happens infrequently.

So they are all fairly simple set-ups for want of a better phrase. The key to recognising them is screen-time and knowing when one opportunity has gone and another is presenting itself.

The most common cause of trade failure for me is when I take (1), it fails and then it actually becomes (2). I then have to make an executive decision on whether to hold the poor initial trade location or cut out. This post is a good example of this:

Failure to hold opening swing high

If there is a key level suitably close to the top/bottom of the opening swing then I will hold and assume a reversion to mean will occur. If it is too far away, I will bail and call it a day. How I define 'too far' depends on my conviction in the circumstances and this is tempered by all sorts of things like (i) did it open in or out of range, (ii) is this looking like I am the wrong side of an OD/OTD/ORR day type, (iii) are there any signs of OTF activitity, (iv) is delta giving me any useful information, (v) is there consistency in larger orders coming through on T&S, (vi) is the DOM thick/thin/odd, (vii) where is the VPOC in relation to where price is now, etc, etc

Last edited:

Rob your trading and idea generation seems to be as chaotically organised (but far more frequent) as mine. Dunno whether I should take comfort in that lol.

It is because it is assessing and reacting to what is happening in the 'now'. I can asure you the thinking is not chaotic though :p

Splashy,

This is my first trade, like Rob I try to be very selective with my trades, audusd long:

She forms higher bottoms (2, 3 and 4), then she goes into range, and a top barrier at (A) with 11 touches, note that the 00 round number is just above (blue line).

She also forms a barrier above it (12 touches) to trap bulls (B) and pulls back to (6) with the bottom barrier already drawn (4and 5), shaking off the bulls that entered at barrier (B).

Once the barrier (B) is broken by one pip I enter at market, I was aware of the 00 number just above but took the trade anyway (first red line, 1.03996) because of the underlying strength.

She went up, crossed the 00 number, and nearly reached my target of 7 pips, but did not, she pull back at the 00 and went up again, at the formation of the double top I got out. (red line,1.04053)

My risk was 7 pips, 2%. Made 5.7 pips, +1.22%

Was I right getting out before my target got reached? NO, but trading is not about outcomes but probabilities.

Hi mike/robster. Having strict trading rules and being disciplined enough to stick to them is one of the cornerstones of successful trading so if sticking to one rule per day or whatever helps you achieve that, then thats fine.

I couldn't find this price action on the chart so i don't know what happened...i would have been tempted to let it play out a little longer due to the triangle being formed (more often than not, they're continuation). Having said that, it may have stopped at the double top and come back - as you say its all about maximising probablities and we all have differnet perspectives.

I don't want to clutter up robsters thread but i'm curious about your money management though - there's no way i could make 2% with 7 pips without creative accounting and breaking some important money management rules. If the explanation is on your thread, i'll check it out.
keep up the good work.:clap: