S&P 500 & other indexes - intraday. Plus chat

Rolling, rolling, rolling....

You staying on the 09's forever?

I just didn't get around to switching to December today, saw the trade set-up and just took it. Sept was still thick enough so it didn't really matter.

Will do over the weekend and then move lines by 6.75 pts.....

Mon Sep 17

12:01am GBP Rightmove HPI m/m -0.6% -2.4%
All Day JPY Bank Holiday
2:30am AUD New Motor Vehicle Sales m/m 3.6% -1.1%
9:00am EUR Current Account 10.9B 12.7B
9:00am EUR Italian Trade Balance 1.97B 2.52B
10:00am EUR Trade Balance 10.2B 10.5B
1:30pm CAD Foreign Securities Purchases 11.3B -7.89B
1:30pm USD Empire State Manufacturing Index -1.9 -5.9

LONDON, Sept 17 (Reuters) - European stocks and the euro both eased on Monday, beginning a new week in cautious fashion after chalking up strong gains in the previous session following the launch of fresh U.S. economic stimulus.

German Bunds, up 13 basis points, clawed back some of their sharp falls from Friday when markets across Europe (Chicago Options: ^REURUSD - news) reacted to news the U.S. Federal Reserve planned to pump $40 billion a month into the economy until the jobs market improves.

Sentiment in all three markets remains broadly unchanged, however, with tests of new multi-month highs expected in the coming weeks for stocks and the single currency.

At 0722 GMT, the FTSEurofirst 300 index of leading European stocks was down 0.26 percent at 1,117.25 points, pulling back from a 14-month high hit in the previous session. World stocks, meanwhile, were down 0.12 percent.

Asian stocks were generally higher overnight, with the MSCI Asia ex-Japan (EUREX: FMJP.EX - news) index hitting a 4-1/2 month high, although Tokyo markets were closed.

"There is still good upside potential for stocks as we are re-pricing the 'non-break up' of the euro zone. We've just started to realise all the downside that came from the debt crisis," Louis Capital Markets trader Jerome Troin-Lajous said.

"Now, the main signal we need that would fuel this rally won't be coming from the economic outlook, it will come from the investment flows. A lot of foreign investors have been strongly 'underweight' European stocks and should start to switch out of bonds and out of U.S. equities and into European stocks."

The single currency, meanwhile, was down 0.05 percent to 1.3121against the dollar in early deals, while the greenback was unchanged against a basket of currencies.

@ The Toaster. Do you remember a post you made about a conversation you'd had with a trader mate of yours? It went along the lines of," if a person can't make money, by using only the natural ebb and flow of market price, on a 1:1 risk:reward basis, then they probably never will make anything."

Well, anyway, i think about that post quite often, and i personally believe that the statement holds a lot of credability.

Is 1:1 r:r, the true yardstick of any traders ability? I'm inclined to say that it is.

@ The Toaster. Do you remember a post you made about a conversation you'd had with a trader mate of yours? It went along the lines of," if a person can't make money, by using only the natural ebb and flow of market price, on a 1:1 risk:reward basis, then they probably never will make anything."

Well, anyway, i think about that post quite often, and i personally believe that the statement holds a lot of credability.

Is 1:1 r:r, the true yardstick of any traders ability? I'm inclined to say that it is.

You hollow sweatbag.

There was no reason for me to say that btw.

The quote was for someone that's telling people how to get something from the order flow. So many people try to use something new but still look @ what they had before. Same with the order flow. So - to get it off pat, you should really turn everything else off and try scalping the flow.

You don't have to become a zen master at it but to try to use order flow WITH charts is tough if you can't use it without them.

Of course, this is just one school of thought. I think you could apply it to other areas of trading though.

September 17th

Asia up, Europe down.
No News
Volume below average

YH – 1468, YC 1459.25, YL – 1449.50
ONH – 1459, 1454

Expecting a rotational day that goes nowhere today.

We got through Dec 2007 high, so the next reference up is the Nov 2007 high just short of 1500 – 1494 to be exact.
Last weeks high was 1468, so that’s going to be important.

Overnight range is very small – just 5 points @ 8:15
Opinion unchanged since last week – I think we’ll mark out a range here, so I’m waiting for that to happen, we do have a potential range from 1449-1469 but I’m no playing that yet

In terms of deciding if we’ll stay at these levels or drop down to the 1430s & below… I’m looking @ Thurdays VPOC @ 1453.25 to be a possible reaction area but for Thursdays low to be the real test – 1449.50, then below that I have areas @ 1446.50, 1442.50, 1443.25

Longs – 1453.25, 1449.50, 1442.50, 1423.25
Shorts – 1500, 1468, 1459.25

Last edited:
The quote was for someone that's telling people how to get something from the order flow. So many people try to use something new but still look @ what they had before. Same with the order flow. So - to get it off pat, you should really turn everything else off and try scalping the flow.

You don't have to become a zen master at it but to try to use order flow WITH charts is tough if you can't use it without them.

Of course, this is just one school of thought. I think you could apply it to other areas of trading though.

Makes sense. Where's Rob...?:)

Yup - the absorption @ 1455, right? I got long there too but got out a while before it came back.

It came back again and I considered getting back in but there wasn't really anything to play off at that point.

Didn't we break the record a few weeks back for the lowest range non-holiday day (at least for many years) - I think we are close to it again!

4.25 points...

Yup - the absorption @ 1455, right? I got long there too but got out a while before it came back.

It came back again and I considered getting back in but there wasn't really anything to play off at that point.

Didn't we break the record a few weeks back for the lowest range non-holiday day (at least for many years) - I think we are close to it again!

4.25 points...

It was a bit drawn out wasn't it.

I thought it wasn't going to hold, then it held on the low as it pinged it 3 times, then it had 2mins of rallying and I just thought that this was building for a bigger move. Got long, got disappointed, got out.