S&P 500 - Incredible Performance On Tuesdays

HarryHindsight

A while ago ZeroHedge brought it to my attention how incredible the performance of the US Stock market has been, in recent months, on Tuesdays specifically! Strange, right?

http://harryhindsightnews.com/2014/03/18/18-march-2014-whats-so-special-about-tuesday/
What do you think? A valid strategy to buy on Tuesday open and sell at End-Of-Day?

I thought it would be nice to see the performance on each individual week-day too:

Attachments

• S&P500_Days.png
    S&P500_Days.png
    925.3 KB · Views: 420
A while ago ZeroHedge brought it to my attention how incredible the performance of the US Stock market has been, in recent months, on Tuesdays specifically! Strange, right?

http://harryhindsightnews.com/2014/03/18/18-march-2014-whats-so-special-about-tuesday/
What do you think? A valid strategy to buy on Tuesday open and sell at End-Of-Day?

I thought it would be nice to see the performance on each individual week-day too:

Welcome to the 'Turnaround Tuesday' club. Its like any pattern its works until it doesn't.
If you were cynical (who me?) you might think punters were being groomed in a pavlovian way and the next big crash will happen on a Tuesday! ;)

As you can probably tell I read too much zerohedge, I'm a prepper and I lose lots of money buying physical gold. :LOL:
On a more serious note if it makes money more than 50% of the time and you have good money management skills, do it. (y)

One of these days I'd like to repeat the study but on a 30-min basis.
e.g. looking at the first 30 mins of every monday, then the second 30 mins, and so on, for all days.
I just wonder if there is a similar tendency on an intra-day basis, if that makes any sense?

Fully agree there's every chance we'll create our own Black Tuesday !

I trade the FTSE and Tuesdays are on average more profitable than any other day of the week. The Least profitable day is Weds too - Fridays when then go well are some of the most profitable of all (I guess because of NFP and other announcements). It did do a study of profitable times of the day and the only conclusion I came to was to close the position(s) around 4:15 and not wait until 4:30. This does increase the return approx10%. The period 10-12am are the least profitable only for the reason there's little movement at these times.

Obviously these results are purely dependent on my trading system and other systems will give different results!

Last edited:
great thread, we need a Tuesday alerter, someone to warn when Tuesday is approaching

Attachments

• 28-04-2017 09-44-58.png
    28-04-2017 09-44-58.png
    102.1 KB · Views: 280