Reliable dial-up internet access

JTrader

Hi

unfortunately i may be without virgin broadband for a week while i move addresses.

I may therefore be forced to use 56k dial-up internet access for a week :eek: .

The last time I used (tiscali) dial-up, the connection was disconnected every two hours, as a standard thing. Is this the case with all dial-up ISP's?

Can anyone recommend a "good" dial-up ISP whose service3 is not disconnected at set intervals such as every 2 hours as was the case with tiscali?

Many thanks
JT.

Hi JT,

Not sure if this is useful information for you, but if you only need to be online for 1 to 2 hours at a time, then you could use a wireless-enabled laptop to connect to a broadband hotspot in a cafe or hotel reception.

I do this a lot using BT OpenZone and it is normally very reliable and secure. I have accessed Interactive Brokers and placed trades at hotspots on numerous occasions and it seems to work fine. I don't think there is a time limit for how long you can be connected, but of course you have to pay for what you use.

Could be an option for you just for the week.

Thanks

Damian

Thanks Damian

I need to be online from 8am-4pm, preferably without any disconnections. Having to reconnect every two hours is not acceptable for me, as the market can move in that time.

It's a real pain in the **** moving your broadband account to a different property, virgin.net take 10-15 working days to do so...........Guess i might have to ring round a few to see whats on offer.............

If you have to go on dial-up for a while I would suggest choosing one of the past ISPA winners in the "best dial-up" category (winner in 2006 was BISCit Internet, winner in 2005 was Tesco).

Hi JT,

Given your trading style, I would actually be inclined to not trade for a week until you can get your broadband back. This is probably the least riskiest option rather than rely on a dial-up connection.

I agree whole-heartedly that moving broadband between properties is a real pain.

Thanks

Damian

damianoakley said:
Hi JT,

Given your trading style, I would actually be inclined to not trade for a week until you can get your broadband back. This is probably the least riskiest option rather than rely on a dial-up connection.

I agree whole-heartedly that moving broadband between properties is a real pain.

Thanks

Damian

seconded. seems like the best idea.