Dial-up connections dialogue box

JTrader

Hi

once my windows XP has loaded and everything has settled down, the dial-up connections dialogue box for Internet Explorer has started automatically appearing. It did not used to, but has done in the last few days :confused: :confused:

I use virgin broadband by the way.

How can I get rid of this?

Many thanks and a happy new year!

jtrader.

PC intermittently Resarts when I select Turn Off

At the same time, and on an intermittent basis, when i have been shooting down my PC by selecting turn off, it has beeped and resarted, and i get a windows error reporting message saying that windows has recovered from a serious error.

I did find 2-3 vius'-trojan horses within a .zip file with nero 6 during a virus scan the other day. I have removed Nero completely. A virus scan now does not show any infections.

This is beginnig to sound dodgy, and the next thing will probably be a blue screen of death :devilish: :cry:

The only other thing I can think of is that I started using limewire over christmas and have downloaded 150 music files. But limewire is active when it is open (as far as I know)

Does anybody have an insight?

Thanks again

jtrader.

Limewire is pretty chock-full of bits and pieces that might not ness. help - I tend to avoid using it when I can. PestPatrol always pulls up about 70 "adware" files within the LW directory.

I seem to recall from memory that there is an auto-connect-on-windows-startup option in LW that may be the cause of your dial-up box popping up as LW tries to make the connection as its loaded. Try using msconfig to disable LW from loading on startup and see if that stops the pop-up.

me too

jtrader said:
Hi

once my windows XP has loaded and everything has settled down, the dial-up connections dialogue box for Internet Explorer has started automatically appearing. It did not used to, but has done in the last few days :confused: :confused:

I use virgin broadband by the way.

How can I get rid of this?

Many thanks and a happy new year!

jtrader.

Hi Jtrader,
I have the same problem with XPpro following the installation of a TV card application.
I'll investigate further. No virus probs. on last scan.

If I can sort it I'll post here again.

Cheers,
Neil

A useful trick I have discovered (but may shed no light on your problem) - use Alt-Ctrl-Del to open Task Manager and see the processes that are running listed. Refer to the process list at processid.com to check which are not necessary but have been uploaded from other programmes, games etc. and which are either causing side-effects or absorbing CPU resources.

Thanks

limewire doesn't seem to be the problem, as it is not set to startup when my PC does. However, connecting to a P2P network may be asking for trouble! I've noticed that limewire downloads a load of pdf's and places them in my library with the downloaded music files. These pdf's seem to be album covers for artists whose music I've downloaded, though I don't know why it automatically gets the pdfs.

msconfig sounds like a good idea. Onlyt trouble is, I don't know what the dial-up connections box code/short name is in order to disable it at startup, and www.processid.com is offline.

I've found 22 items of spyware using adaware and spyware doctor, probably due to using limewire, as previously, these searches weren't returning any problems.

I've also tried restoring my PC to several previous times, but it will not allow it to complete.

My PC is still restarting when I try to shutdown :confused:.

Cheers

jtrader.

Last edited:
These problems disappeared without a clear explanation, just as they arrived.

Perhaps they disappeared after i removed some music files from limewire, ran windows update, etc. etc.

Touch wood, my PC is in a healthy state.