Fast & reliable ADSL ISP

dod said:
Jim,

Since you ask, it's because I'm a confirmed and hopeless cheapskate. I regularly walk an extra quarter mile to buy milk thats 15p cheaper a litre. After all, that saves me at least £20 a year ...

Nick

Hi Dod:
I know just the site to indulge ur cheapskate tendencies.....not necessarily 4 ur asdl answer (tho they do have a thread on that too I believe)
www.moneysavingexpert.com I have saved a fortune there using some tips/info, especially the www.call18866.co.uk phone one @ 1/2p per min ..24/7 ..uk and 1p per min ..24/7 most of rest of world :)

Hampy,

That's worth knowing, especially as Wanadoo is a 12 months fixed as opposed to monthly contract. By the way, if you're paying for your technical calls to Pipex, you might check the site I mention below for an alternative freephone number ...

Alliance,

I know both those sites well! I can't stop my wife phoning abroad now she knows it only costs 1p a minute.

Another satisfying site is:

http://www.saynoto0870.com/search.php

You put a company name in that usually requires you to call an 0870 number (the scandel of these numbers is that the company you call at 7p a minute actually receives half the money) and lo and behold it supplies an ordinary geographical number or better still a freephone one.

Nick

:cheesy: Thx dod, I already use it but it's useful info for other members I'm sure.
BTW, I believe that 0870's will increase to 10p per min in the near future making it even more useful

Although it is off the topic, thanks anyway for the tips about money saving.

The 18866 information is particularly useful as I make international calls on a regular basis. I wonder whether some of you have used it. If so, how do you feel about its reliability? Is it clear?

clylbw said:
Although it is off the topic, thanks anyway for the tips about money saving.

The 18866 information is particularly useful as I make international calls on a regular basis. I wonder whether some of you have used it. If so, how do you feel about its reliability? Is it clear?

Yeah, sorry I took this off topic, but thot some members might benefit.

I have used 18866 for approx 7 months and have had no probs whatsoever. Register online, pay by credit card (u only have to give them ur details once), and away u go. I also make overseas calls to mobiles @ 15p per minute, to uk mobiles @ 10p pm, (2p @ weekends). You can also register ur mobile number and make calls from uk mobiles to overseas mobiles from 14p pm! All 24/7! The ONLY thing that has happened since I joined them 7 months ago..is that the prices have COME DOWN!!!

Hope that helps cly!

(btw, I have no connection (pardon the pun) to Call18866)

hampy said:
Dod, Been hearing some bad things about Wanadoo. Attract loads of customers by undercutting the opposition, but not be able to handle the numbers- poor connection and poor customer service.

Been with freeserve/wanadoo for 2.5 years now and it only went down about 2 times on me. I share it with people in my house and we're pretty heavy users of it. I use it for my trading/charting/surfing/email/everything and one housemate is into photography so the traffic is always pretty heavy. No problems or complaints :D

That would be unlimited usage would it, Minx? Not the 2GB (or 15GB) limits?

dod said:
That would be unlimited usage would it, Minx? Not the 2GB (or 15GB) limits?

Yup, but like someone said its only another £10pm and its split between us all......

Hi Lynn,
I've been with BT adsl for more than three years and it failed once for about an hour on a Saturday in 2002 when the local exchange flooded.
Best wishes,
Richard

FWIW - Am with Eclipse and have been for over a year. Not the cheapest, but no complaints and more importantly, excellent support when needed.

They are also one of the few (any others?) to offer a 512K 20:1 contention ratio which compares very favourably with a 1MB connection at the standard 50:1.

Martin's Money Tips offered the following:

CHEAPEST BROADBAND INTERNET (includes provider loophole): Superfast broadband internet isn’t now much more expensive than normal phone access. Existing broadband users can cut their costs by up to £160/year. Those wanting to upgrade to broadband can find an all-in unlimited package for £18/month. New Article: UK’s cheapest broadband (http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/viewnews.cgi?newsid1092034925,22928,)

Alex