questions about v8.0 for esignal

Kanpo

hello,

i have the opportunity to get v8.0 for esignal inexpensively. i want to develop simple systems and backtest. can i use non-esignal data feeds for historical and/or realtime data with the program itself or using addons? i don't think i can afford esignal right now.

also, can you enter money management parameters into systems?

thanks for you help in advance.

glenn

You can use many data suppliers for eod but not for realtime, i believe your stuck with esignal .

Kanpo said:
hello,

i have the opportunity to get v8.0 for esignal inexpensively. i want to develop simple systems and backtest. can i use non-esignal data feeds for historical and/or realtime data with the program itself or using addons? i don't think i can afford esignal right now.

also, can you enter money management parameters into systems?

thanks for you help in advance.

glenn
Not sure what you mean, as far as I know eSignal can be downloaded for free from their website,but then surely you need an account with them to use it.

Hi kanpo

You have Hquote I believe so historical EOD and historical realtime will be no probs, as you know its what I use, although I have an earlier version of metastock 7.03
You can if required download data throughout the day, although it is delayed without subscribing to livecharts which on last look was around $10 + real-time exchange fees from http://new.quote.com/

cheers

don

I stand corrected , but i thought you might need metastock for q charts or something??? think i tried this once but don't think it was satisfactory for some reason , use for esignal at mo , tried the new one for reuters own data ( real time ) and after a day of phone calls gave up as couldn't get to work , even for esignal it's fairly sticky and problematic for realtime (in my opinion) when compared to tradestation

henry766 said:
I stand corrected , but i thought you might need metastock for q charts or something??? think i tried this once but don't think it was satisfactory for some reason , use for esignal at mo , tried the new one for reuters own data ( real time ) and after a day of phone calls gave up as couldn't get to work , even for esignal it's fairly sticky and problematic for realtime (in my opinion) when compared to tradestation

Hello henry

No need to stand corrected, you are quite right in what you have said regarding streaming data. The solution I suggest to Kanpo is a cost effective way for system / strategy development and backtesting only, as the data is manually downloaded each and every time it needs updating and is not streaming, so would not be a good way to trade intraday with.
Once a trading plan and strategy are in place and if this strat needs a realtime feed then its time to move on and subscribe to esignal or whatever.

cheers

don

Last edited:
Thanks don, I do believe for developing a trading strategy especially when relatively inexperienced metastock is hard to beat , and has a lot of forums clubs etc to help, think there's one on yahoo and you can download formulas , be careful you don't over optimise though , you can get free end of day data i believe from "eod "or something , been a while , good luck, henry