esignal / IB setup questions

Grouch

Hi Everyone,

I've been lurking and reading for many months, but this is my first post!

I was wondering if I could get some advice on a few things. I have been practicing swing and daytrading US stocks since approximately April and have tried a few different charting programs and a few brokers and finally settled on esignal and interactive brokers.

Through most of my practicing I did not integrate the esignal to IB, because I read somewhere here (forgot where) that IB's order entry etc. was excellent. But after watching a video of the integration, I guess it looks much better to be able to trade from the chart screens using a mouse.

I was wondering if I could get opinions on whether or not to go with the integration.

Something else I've always been confused about was subscription data. I've tried a few things and everything seems to be working, but I'm not sure I've done it correctly. For example, I can add real-time streaming data to both esignal and IB. Do I need both?

Now I want to try daytrading futures also, and for example, with esignal, we can get the cbot/cme free, if we have IB and it's integrated 'sometimes'. But thru IB, it's 55$ / month for each cbot and cme. So I clicked on this to subscribe and I can see the charts in esignal and the quotes in IB. Just now, though, I unsubscribed to both 55$ / month cme and cbot in IB, but still can see the quotes. Does this mean that since I have all the data in esignal, I can unsubscribe to everything in IB?

Thanks in advance!!!

Hi Grouch,
I day traded U.S. stocks all last year with the same combo' as you and did everything via the eSignal platform and, for the most part, it worked very well. With regard to your other questions, I recommend that you send a PM to Richard Joyson ('Mr. Charts' here on T2W) as he's a very experienced pro' daytrader of U.S. equities and has used this very combo' of data provider and broker for many years. Here's a link to a popular thread he started. (I suspect he's taking a break from trading and T2W at the moment, so he may not reply immediately, but he will in due course.)
http://www.trade2win.com/boards/us-stocks/38036-how-make-money-trading-markets.html
Good luck with your trading and welcome to the forum!
Tim.

Last edited:
thanks Tim. I will try emailing him. I am just always reluctant to ask questions that are probably 'dumb', but could not find the answers to those anywhere I've searched.

I'm familiar with that thread - read it a few times and been following it for months. Nice!

I recommend that you send a PM to Richard Joyson ('Mr. Charts' here on T2W)

You will need to send an email and not a PM as Mr Charts has previously said that he will only answer email and not PM.

Paul

Thanks Paul, I knew he didn't answer one or the other and I got it the wrong way around! Grouch, as Paul advises, send an e-mail and not a PM. As for silly questions, there aren't any really and the only time members get any stick is when they enquire about a topic to which there are numerous threads offering very expansive answers and it's obvious that they've not bothered to do some very elementary research. Needless to say, that definitely does not apply to you!
Tim.

Thanks guys; I sent an email, recalling his instructions somewhere in his thread a while back.

I thought the IB/esignal was a popular combination. Anyhow, I found that I didn't need the cbot/cme datafeed in IB, but there are some symbols where the quotes don't come up. I guess I will eventually figure it out, one symbol at a time.