Query re back-up devices

debs

Hi,

I wonder if any of you more experienced users or 'techies' can help me out with this backup query.

I heard that it is possible to buy a separate device (or hard drive), which I can connect to my PC via the USB port, and by simply pushing a few keys, it will backup the PC (or laptop) in its entirety i.e. data files, operating system, software applications etc.

I need to upgrade to XP SP2, but last time I upgraded, I ended up having to rebuild the PC and reload all the software plus restore the data backups that I had taken on CDs. It seems a much better solution if I could just have a 'mirror copy' of my system and reload it all instantaneously.

I have searched a few websites, but I am not very PC literate and I can't find anything that seems to do the above. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated ?

Many thanks
Debs

Sure,
get yourself a backup program - look on PC magazine cover disks, or save the effort and go to http://www.secondcopy.com ($29.95) - there are similar programs around elsewhere, I just happen to run this and am happy with it.

Nip down PC World (or order online from anyone you like - DABS.com, Simply.com, etc - I like Simply myself) and pick up a decent sized USB 2 external hard drive.... Simply have an Iomega one that's 80Gb for £80, I mention this as a price guide only, it's not a market that's diffcult to shop around in.

You can, obviously, save your hard disk to CDs or DVDs, but you need to be under 30 to do that as you won't finish before retirement age otherwise.

Dave

Done it

Debs

I installed a 2nd hard drive in my PC last week for this very purpose. Works fine althoguh even wiht a hard drive to hard drive back up, it can take some time so I shcedule it for overnight.

Downside would be if the PC "died" and I needed to move to another PC, I'd have to swap the hard drive across, upside is fast transfer time and I do a full back up. If yopu are doind to another type of device, you'll p;roably have to retrcit waht you bakc up - this shoud'nt be a huge provlem, as the OS plus most sotware will be on CDs anyway.

Good luck

Done it

Debs

I installed a 2nd hard drive in my PC last week for this very purpose. Works fine although even with a hard drive to hard drive back up, it can take some time so I schedule it for overnight.

Downside would be if the PC "died" and I needed to move to another PC, I'd have to swap the hard drive across, upside is fast transfer time and I do a full back up. If you are doing to another type of device, you'll probably have to restrict what you back up - this should'nt be a huge problem, as the OS plus most software will be on CDs anyway.

I tried the USB route but had problems getting it to work - may be ok for you.

Good luck

GCB -
I've done that in the past too - it's a cheaper option, but not by very much, and it isn't anywhere near as flexible. There is also the slight chance that physical damage to one drive , or a big 'think I'll destory your PC' spike in the mains etc will take out both. Then, as you say, it's a bit of getting in there with a screwdriver to install/swap, and a consideration is also that it's not uncommon to experience wierd shutdowns if your PC case power supply can't quite keep everything spinning at once - an external USB drive will cost marginally more than an internal, but an 80 Gb drive for £80 isn't that bad compared to internal drives and the flexibility I get from my external drive is way better than the old 'two drives in one box' approach imo.

Dave

By the way,
using something like 2nd copy (or any other program, as I say, this is what I use and I spent a while looking at different programs so I'm happy it's not likely to disappoint) you can select which folders you want to copy across, you can maintain a background copy schedule that just keeps things backed up without having to stop work, you can normally set these programs to only copy files that have changed (incremental backup) or "back this, this and that up every Friday at 2pm" and so forth.

The very cheapest route is indeed to fit a new internal drive, personally I don't consider that as flexible, and it's also prone to it's own problems as mentioned before - backup program for $30 (£15 plus change) and £80 for external USB 2 drive - which is plenty fast enough in use - is convenient, involves no surgery, can be shifted PC to PC easily, and generally washes whiter than white... extras that cost maybe an extra £40 or so? It all still comes in under £100, and from a security point of view you can store the external drive away from the PC so if the PC explodes or bursts into flames your backup is physically safe elsewhere.

Dave

External Drive

If you have already bought an internal IDE drive just buy a Driver Cage for it, then you can use it with a Firewire or USB connection. Only costs about £15-20 and you can use the second drive you have already got but with benefit of being able to take it from PC to PC or store it securely somewhere else (Having an internal backup is no good if some steals your PC or you have a Fire).

This page has a selection of drive caddies.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...n=c2hvd3N1YmNhdGVnb3J5X3BhZ2U=&subcat_uid=242

Irrespective of the 2nd drive configuration that you choose (UBS, internal HD, etc.) be sure that the software that you use to mirror the original drive is immune to loss of data in the event of power or hardware failure. Drive Image 7 is one such program.

Thank You

I would like to thank everyone for your very helpful responses and information. This is exactly the kind of info that I needed.

The very first post re 'mountainsolutions' looks like an ideal solution....I like the sentence on their website about it being "designed for the non-technical".

DaveJB: - I know what you mean about 'being under 30' to use the CD backup option. This was one of the reasons I decided to look for an alternative. I had already decided to get an 'external' device as I like the extra precaution of being able to store it in a separate location.

I'll have a look at 2ndcopy and the Iomega drives on the Simple website. In the past, I haven't found the people at PC World to be that knowledgeable and the service has been hopeless. But perhaps I just got the wrong person, on the wrong day.

Once again....thank you all very much for your responses..........kind regards, Debs