USB Mass storage device issues

wasp

Legendary member
Howdy,

I have a Toshiba TE2300 with XP Pro SP2.

I also have 2 hard drives from toshiba tecra M2's.

I have here also, a 2.5 External sub system so the tecra hard drives can be transferred onto the laptop.

These aren't mine by the way, but the owner is even less computer literate than me. Somehow he decided I could help :eek:, anyhow.....

When I plug in the MSD the laptop pops up a balloon with.....

Power Surge in Hub Port
A USB device has exceeded the power limits of its hub port.
For assistance in solving this problem, click this message.

Of course, clicking this balloon gets the attatched picture but doesn't actually help.

So, we took it to the shop and he plugged it into his system and all okay, it works perfectly. We bring it back, and nothing. Same message.

Really can't be bothered to take it back again as it was bought quite far away but cannot fathom why it won't except it.

Also, any other device, ipod, camera etc plugged into the USB is fine. Plus, when plugged in without the hard drive attatched, it doesn't recognise anything in the USB at all.

Any ideas...........?

Attachments

• powersurge.gif
    powersurge.gif
    148.9 KB · Views: 7,020
  • USB.gif
    USB.gif
    71.7 KB · Views: 7,558
Last edited:
How stupid do I feel... His sister just came in, unplugged it, made a cuppa, came back, plugged it in and now working! :eek:

Now, to top it all of, we can't access the information on the drives because they are access denied. I assume because they were under 'administrator' on his old laptops?!