Qualifications

Hi everyone, I am a second year student doing pure economics in London and is very keen to get a job in the banking/finance sector after I graduate.

I am targeting at the middle/back office probably operations and analyst kind of jobs. (and consulting is in my consideration too)

Would taking the IMC help? I have thought of doing CFA Level 1 but I don't meet the entry requirements.

Apart from exams, would learning certain computer programs help? Cause I got an interview from a bank a month ago and the securities manager asked if i know how to use any programmes.

Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Many thanks.

Hi everyone, I am a second year student doing pure economics in London and is very keen to get a job in the banking/finance sector after I graduate.

I am targeting at the middle/back office probably operations and analyst kind of jobs. (and consulting is in my consideration too)

Would taking the IMC help? I have thought of doing CFA Level 1 but I don't meet the entry requirements.

Apart from exams, would learning certain computer programs help? Cause I got an interview from a bank a month ago and the securities manager asked if i know how to use any programmes.

Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Many thanks.

IMO CFA is overrated and you can get it later in life, if you really need it (e.g., chief accountant), but learning/knowing how to code really helps. Not only you use it everywhere (excel macros, quick html/css/php), a lot of data mining and analytic goes side by side with such programming languages as python/ruby/JS.. I'd recommend you visiting code.org for inspiration and more information regarding where and how to learn to code.. Hope it helps ;)