Certificate advice for an MSc Graduate

hkmt

Hello Everyone

I am planning to get a certificate in investment management but I am struggling to choose the most suitable one for me. I have an BA Economics and MSc International Management degree from University of London. Currently I work as an Accounts Payable Assistant in a tourism company but I am passionate about investment management. I would like to improve my qualifications by getting a certificate but I don't really know which one should I go for. At the moment I have three alternatives; IMC, CFA or CISI Diploma. Someone told me that CFA requires 4 years of relative working experience, is that true? As I have only a year experience of AP assistant.

Which one do you think would be the most useful one for me? On the other hand feel free to recommend any other certificate programmes if I have missed any :eek:

Last edited:
To get an entry level job you'll probably need to be RDR ready so you'd need the IMC + CFA level 1 whereas if you want something more senior, the full CFA and CISI are (I think) the standard paths but neither are a cake walk and will take a fair bit of time to complete. Better to call up both and see if you can get any exemptions as I doubt either will really matter in practice... it's gonna be more about how your CV looks as you have no practical experience.

As for the 4 year thing, it's the same (or similar) with any royal chartered professional body. You'll become an affiliate after you pass the exams but you need to have demonstrable practical experience before they allow full charter status.