Puzzles

CYOF said:
1. A man looks at a picture of a man on the wall and says:
"Brothers and sisters, I have none; but that man's father is my father's son!"
Who is the man in the picture?
firewalker said "My son" and you said that was wrong. Are you sure about that? The man in the picture is the son of the man who is looking at the picture (just in case there's some confusion over who is "me" in the phrase "my son", i.e. it's not firewalker's son!)

blackcab said:
firewalker said "My son" and you said that was wrong. Are you sure about that? The man in the picture is the son of the man who is looking at the picture (just in case there's some confusion over who is "me" in the phrase "my son", i.e. it's not firewalker's son!)

Yes I thought some time more over that riddle, but "my son" still seems to fit the question...?
Obviously not MY son, but the son of the person speaking that riddle.

CYOF said:

A man looks at a picture of a man on the wall and says:

"Brothers and sisters, I have none; but that man's father is my father's son!"

Who is the man in the picture?

The man who made it never used it, the man who used it never saw it!

What is it?
Answers:~

1. Himself

2. A recording.

How old are the children?
A man walks into a bar, orders a drink, and starts chatting with the bartender. After a while, he learns that the bartender has three children.

"How old are your children?" he asks.
"Well," replies the bartender, "the product of their ages is 72."
The man thinks for a moment and then says, "that's not enough information.".
"All right," continues the bartender, "if you go outside and look at the building number posted over the door to the bar, you'll see the sum of the ages.".
The man steps outside, and after a few moments he reenters and declares, "Still not enough!".
The bartender smiles and says, "My youngest just loves strawberry ice cream.".

SOCRATES said:
Answers:~
1. Himself
That would mean, if we call him Tom, that Tom's father is Tom's father's son. The answer is his son, not himself.

SOCRATES said:
......Thought I would give you a bit of help...

the ducks...

Answer= 36

The Einstein problem= The German has the fish, he drinks water, smokes Prince and lives in the last house on the extreme right, painted white.

And the zb riddle...

the top figure is 101
the middle figure is 91
and the bottom figure is 10

The balls riddle :

Take only 8 balls out of the 12...thus splitting them into two groups of 8 and 4.

you may be lucky and the 4 balls are of the same weight...but in any event...split the 8 into two groups and weigh 4 against 4....if the balance is even, the odd ball is in the group of 4.

now proceed as follows;~

weigh the first group of eight (4 against 4 ) to see if they balance...if they do...then the odd ball is in the other group of 4...if not...it is in the group of 8.

take the heavier side, split into 2 and 2....balance them...see which two are heavier...then...take the two on the heavier side and balance them one against the other...thus the heavier ball can be detected.

...going back to the hens and the eggs:~

the calculation is as follows:

1.5 divided by 1.5....= 1...multiplied by 6...=6...multiplied by 6 = the answer = 36.

...a doddle really...:cheesy:

I don't mean to be a pain in the ass, but wrong wrong and wrong again :-0

firewalker99 said:
Try and obtain 24 using only the numbers 1,3,4,6 once each and only the operations +,-,/,*.

There are no tricks, no bases, square roots, moving numbers around like making 13 out of 1 and 3... You can use brackets to change the order of computations but you must use each number exactly one time (so don't say 6x4=24 that's leaving out 1 and 3).

If you got the answer, PM me. Each time I asked somebody to answer this, I bet a EUR that they couldn't find it within 15 minutes. Most of them actually never found it and gave up after an hour... Very interesting, because all it takes is a little creativity...

I had better bet some money on this one, as nobody has come forward with a solution yet :cool:

firewalker99 said:
I don't mean to be a pain in the ass, but wrong wrong and wrong again :-0
Don't overlook the (original) Socratic method - questions are more helpful than answers. You could interpret deliberately wrong answers as challenges as questions. Or maybe not; who knows?

SOCRATES said:
......Thought I would give you a bit of help...

the ducks...

Answer= 36

The Einstein problem= The German has the fish, he drinks water, smokes Prince and lives in the last house on the extreme right, painted white.

And the zb riddle...

the top figure is 101
the middle figure is 91
and the bottom figure is 10

The balls riddle :

Take only 8 balls out of the 12...thus splitting them into two groups of 8 and 4.

you may be lucky and the 4 balls are of the same weight...but in any event...split the 8 into two groups and weigh 4 against 4....if the balance is even, the odd ball is in the group of 4.

now proceed as follows;~

weigh the first group of eight (4 against 4 ) to see if they balance...if they do...then the odd ball is in the other group of 4...if not...it is in the group of 8.

take the heavier side, split into 2 and 2....balance them...see which two are heavier...then...take the two on the heavier side and balance them one against the other...thus the heavier ball can be detected.

...going back to the hens and the eggs:~

the calculation is as follows:

1.5 divided by 1.5....= 1...multiplied by 6...=6...multiplied by 6 = the answer = 36.

...a doddle really...:cheesy:

Socs,

The odd ball is either lighter or heavier.

new_trader said:
A man walks into a bar, orders a drink, and starts chatting with the bartender. After a while, he learns that the bartender has three children.

"All right," continues the bartender, "if you go outside and look at the building number posted over the door to the bar, you'll see the sum of the ages.".
The man steps outside, and after a few moments he reenters and declares, "Still not enough!".

I remember from a long time ago that you could write any problem that consists of a multiplication and a sum in the form of x square + bx + c = 0... but this doesn't help me very far here as I don't know what the sum is... hmm... I suppose that last sentence is a hint but I can't see how...

blackcab said:
Don't overlook the (original) Socratic method - questions are more helpful than answers. You could interpret deliberately wrong answers as challenges as questions. Or maybe not; who knows?

I'm confused lol :confused:

aha-erlebnis

new_trader said:

got it... I just wrote down all possibilities from numbers that make up 72 (like 4x3x6 or 8x3x3) and I made the sum of the numbers of each series. It appears we have two series with equal sum (3x3x8 and 2x6x6) but the bartender says "my youngest" so there must be one child younger than all others, making the youngest 2 years old (and the others 6 years of age)!

new_trader said:
I never doubted my solution because as someone always used to say to me: "Maths never lies"

How you going with the 12 ball thing?

Does anybody want some hints?

I believe I found it, but it's not as long as half an A4...
you start of by dividing them in three parts (4 each).

1) Weigh 4 against 4 If they balance => the odd one is from the remaining 4 => goto A)

A) The odd one is one of the remaining 4.
-> Now take three out of these and weigh them against three of the other 8 where you are sure of that they are normal and all the same.
-> If they balance out, you've found the odd one, it's the one that you left out and now all you have to do is find whether this one is actually heavier or lighter. This can be easily accomplished by putting the odd one on the balance with any of the normal balls and see which side goes up or down.
-> If they don't balance out, you'll know that any of those three (from the odd group of 4) has the odd one between them. We have one final weigh left. Suppose the balance went to the side of the normal balls then we would know that the odd ball is a lighter one, if it balanced towards the side of the odd balls then we know we have one heavier ball. Now which one is it? This last weigh is the easiest one: 1 on 1. If it equals out, we know the remaining ball is the odd one, if it doesn't, all you is pick the ball from the right side, depending on your previous weigh-in where you found that either the ball was heavier or lighter...

I'll continue later on... I thought this was going to be shorter
.. perhaps it is an A4 after all :-0

firewalker99 said:
I believe I found it, but it's not as long as half an A4...
you start of by dividing them in three parts (4 each).

1) Weigh 4 against 4 If they balance => the odd one is from the remaining 4 => goto A)

A) The odd one is one of the remaining 4.
-> Now take three out of these and weigh them against three of the other 8 where you are sure of that they are normal and all the same.
-> If they balance out, you've found the odd one, it's the one that you left out and now all you have to do is find whether this one is actually heavier or lighter. This can be easily accomplished by putting the odd one on the balance with any of the normal balls and see which side goes up or down.
-> If they don't balance out, you'll know that any of those three (from the odd group of 4) has the odd one between them. We have one final weigh left. Suppose the balance went to the side of the normal balls then we would know that the odd ball is a lighter one, if it balanced towards the side of the odd balls then we know we have one heavier ball. Now which one is it? This last weigh is the easiest one: 1 on 1. If it equals out, we know the remaining ball is the odd one, if it doesn't, all you is pick the ball from the right side, depending on your previous weigh-in where you found that either the ball was heavier or lighter...

I'll continue later on... I thought this was going to be shorter
.. perhaps it is an A4 after all :-0

Looks right so far. You got the age one right also.

sorry didn't need the hint, already solved it under 5 minutes:

6 / (1 - (3 / 4))

from another thread said:
First of all because I don't need to and I'm not motivated to do so. Sure, I could start teaching myself and inducing myself into the wonderful world of quantummechanics, string theory. But why would I? Unlike others who post on this board with the only purpose of promoting their ego. Unlike others I am perfectly in balance with myself and my life.

what people say, and what people can actually do are 2 different things. You are entitled to your beliefs, firewalker99, and I don't ever wish to argue with you. Man may do as he wants, but he cannot will what he wills

stoic said:
sorry didn't need the hint, already solved it under 5 minutes:

6 / (1 - (3 / 4))

well done, if you made it under 5 minutes than I can only say "wow!" :)
perhaps you have something more challenging for us then?

let a and b be two positive integers. If (1 + a x b) divides (a x a + b x b), prove that the quotient must be a perfect square

stoic said:
let a and b be two positive integers. If (1 + a x b) divides (a x a + b x b), prove that the quotient must be a perfect square

this is more something from math class than a puzzle imho...
I wouldn't know how to solve it straight away, I'm not a mathematician...

I looked the answer up on http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/51620.html
and to be honest... I think it's a bit of a stretch of this thread... but let's see what others have to say

firewalker99 said:
this is more something from math class than a puzzle imho...
I wouldn't know how to solve it straight away, I'm not a mathematician...

I looked the answer up on http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/51620.html
and to be honest... I think it's a bit of a stretch of this thread... but let's see what others have to say

I agree. It's like saying prove that 1 = 0.9999999999.....~

NB: 1 = 0.9999999...~

Precisely, exactly. No argument.