Professional Individual Traders - Yearly income

wino59

Please don't take any offense... I know this could be a pretty personal question, so "hypothetical" answers with general numbers are fine for this question.

How much capitol do you work with?

How much do you look to grow the account on a percentage basis over the course of a year?

And how much of a percent do you take out to live on etc.?

Just curious about some real numbers from real people that trade for a living from their home.

Thanks

Please don't take any offense... I know this could be a pretty personal question, so "hypothetical" answers with general numbers are fine for this question.

How much do you look to grow the account on a percentage basis over the course of a year?

Just curious about some real numbers from real people that trade for a living from their home.

Thanks

Are you in the right place or are the real professionals in the wrong place ?

Are you in the right place or are the real professionals in the wrong place ?

I hope I am in the right place :) I am planning to devote the next 5 years to trading, not for a living at the moment, but I plan to get there.

Thanks

It depends on the trader's bankroll and goals.

It depends on the trader's bankroll and goals.

I guess everyone if different... I was just trying to get a guage on how much of bankroll is required, and what percentage you expect to gain every year, and what percent you keep out of that.

If you are making less than $2k to $3k per month, then it is usually not worth it.

Anything close to $10k per month should be decent for home traders to justify their laziness of not jumping into the normalcy train of life.

Anyone making above $20k per month trading, should really be managing a hedge fund business and do it more like a professional business.

Also professionals do not hang around spread betting websites. You will not get a correct answer here.

If you are serious about making it professionally instead of butting around wasting time, start from a prop firm and then move on step by step from there.

Last edited:
I guess everyone if different... I was just trying to get a guage on how much of bankroll is required, and what percentage you expect to gain every year, and what percent you keep out of that.

Do u really think , a true professional would hang around forums?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but one of the questions the OP asked was how much do you look to grow your account percentage wise per year NOT how much do you make per month as how much per month is a silly question as it is relative to your trading stake.

I have been trading for myself for just under 3 years.

I work off my yearly starting balance of £50k (this year). I risk 2% (1k) per trade, and and the end of the month I pay myself 4%, regardless of how much i'm up or down. (the logic being I only need 2 more winners then losses a month, as long as each trade provided a minimum r:r of 1:1)

Only at the start of each new trading year will i recalculate my 2% risk and 4% salary and that will remain fixed for the next year, regardless of how my balance grows.

I stick to these figures religiously, never more, never less.

That may sound boring, but I've learned that to be successful in trading you need to be boring.

Last edited:
If you are making less than $2k to $3k per month, then it is usually not worth it.

Anything close to $10k per month should be decent for home traders to justify their laziness of not jumping into the normalcy train of life.

Anyone making above $20k per month trading, should really be managing a hedge fund business and do it more like a professional business.

Also professionals do not hang around spread betting websites. You will not get a correct answer here.

If you are serious about making it professionally instead of butting around wasting time, start from a prop firm and then move on step by step from there.

How can you make such sweeping statements. If your managing a 100,000,000 million account, then no 2k-3k a month is probably not worth it. If managing an account of 100,000, then 2-3k is a very respectable figure.

You seem to focus entirely on monetary figures, rather then looking at % return and risk reward values.

I have a monthly goal of 2.5% on my account balance and a yearly goal of 30%. My trading plan defines a fixed daily/weekly trading loss that I hold to. It keeps me in the game during corrections and adjustments I have to make to open positions. I don't always make my goal, but I am still having a great time trading, I don't have a boss, and I do what I want.

How can you make such sweeping statements. If your managing a 100,000,000 million account, then no 2k-3k a month is probably not worth it. If managing an account of 100,000, then 2-3k is a very respectable figure.

You seem to focus entirely on monetary figures, rather then looking at % return and risk reward values.

One Word: Experience.

Second folks who frequently use the word "risk reward" are usually the ones not making respectable income in the first place.

Third an online virtual forum is not really the medium to discuss profitability mechanics of stock market gambling.

I am mainly here for trolling and doing a great job at that.

Thanks

Hey there....a good question but you will never get a honest answer as you are asking people how much they earn....and thats taboo in any industry ;)

~Income is derived from

Avg % return per trade X Avg % of capital used per Trade X volume of trades

so its impossible to say what a $2k per month net income is from a trader who could be turning over hundreds of trades or just 1 :cool:

good question but you wont get those answers here at T2W

N

better question to ask any millionaire trader what is their % of profit derived from Trading vs Selling systems and courses .....most people argue its probably 100% selling systems to cover the losses from trading ........

N

Hey there....a good question but you will never get a honest answer as you are asking people how much they earn....and thats taboo in any industry ;)

~Income is derived from

Avg % return per trade X Avg % of capital used per Trade X volume of trades

so its impossible to say what a $2k per month net income is from a trader who could be turning over hundreds of trades or just 1 :cool:
good question but you wont get those answers here at T2W

N

There were 3 questions by the OP. NONE were, "how much do you make?"
Ffsear has already addressed this. How much money a trader makes per month/year is a naive question. This depends on the size of your trading stake.
Quite obvious really.

The OP, quite smartly asked, what percentage do you grow your account by?
As well as how big your account is and what percentage do you withdraw per month to live off of.

Percentages are universal.

One Word: Experience.

Second folks who frequently use the word "risk reward" are usually the ones not making respectable income in the first place.

Third an online virtual forum is not really the medium to discuss profitability mechanics of stock market gambling.

I am mainly here for trolling and doing a great job at that.

AKA talking out your ****! good job!

Given that 95% lose, anyone who says anything are usually the ones not making respectable income in the first place. - But i'm sure you picked up on that!

Last edited:
AKA talking out your ****! good job!

Given that 95% lose, anyone who says anything are usually the ones not making respectable income in the first place. - But i'm sure you picked up on that!

Relax or else you will explode.

There is no point having a e-punching competition with an unknown username.

Make your billions and be happy for ever.

Man the fragile "handle with care" egos of "wanna be billionaire spread betting " is hitting all time highs.

Hi,

I thought you could do with some thoughtful feedback LOL!

It may interest you to know that most professional forex traders/fund traders would be happy with 20% per year on their account. However, this doesn't take into account the amount they risked on any trade.

What you may make in any particular year is a combination of the risk per trade that you take combined with the average percentage win that you make. It's a simple, but beguiling concept that all traders need to come to grips with in order to be consistently successful. I've written a web page devoted to this very concept which I'm sure could help. However, as we are forbidden to post links here I'm afraid you'll have to do a search for it. You could begin with "Forget the Forex Pip, It's All about Units!" ;-)

I wish you well with this as it really is one of the most crucial things to overcome in forex trading. So many newbie forex traders come to the market place with totally unrealistic expectations, and leave with broken hearts :-/

Best of luck,

Erron Adams

Thanks