Problems with CMC

JillyB

Established member
Hi Everyone

Has anyone else using CMC been experiencing problems today?

Last night I was unable to logon to the system and they have since admitted that they had problems with their server. However today, although I can logon, the program is freezing and making the whole computer unresponsive.

This has happened both on my work and home computers, so I don't think it's a hardware problem. I've not added any new programs to either system or done anything differently.

I have emailed them to try and find out what's going on, but so far no response.

Just wondered if anyone else out there was having problems.

JillyB said:
I have emailed them to try and find out what's going on, but so far no response.

They don't like responding to customer problems

I've seen another post on t2w about the new marketmaker and XP. Some are complaining of "execessive thead handles", Others say they are fine. I've noticed that Marketmaker now seems to takeover my pc much quicker than before.

No doubt CMC are secretly working on some kind of fix.

good luck with the email :rolleyes:

JillyB said:
Hi Everyone

Last night I was unable to logon to the system and they have since admitted that they had problems with their server. However today, although I can logon, the program is freezing and making the whole computer unresponsive.

This has happened both on my work and home computers, so I don't think it's a hardware problem. I've not added any new programs to either system or done anything differently.

JillyB said:
Hi Everyone

Yesterday seemed slow - yes. I am using an smaller capacity laptop than my normal one, and the new Markemaker version has been slower than the previous version on this machine.

Have found the new version uses a lot of processing capacity as mentioned by SvenFoster, but managed some improvement by creating a simpler Marketmaker layout with no graphs, and limiting other applications which use a lot of memory.

The RAM on your PC is important - CMC told me 256MB minimum, but got 128MB to work even with other programs open by doing above. MIght be worth exploring the web version of Deal4free for use in emergencies in case problems in future - 'live logon' on
http://www.cmcgroupplc.com/cmchelp/uk/spreadbet/home.jsp

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your replies.

I have now had a response from CMC and they tell me that the layout I was using to trade had become corrupt. They have now reset this for me on their server .

They have also sent me instructions to turn the Hardware Acceeration from full to none. It seems that this is what causes the program to freeze. If anyone has the same problem with Market Maker and wants the full instructions for this send me a PM.

Only problem i seem to have with Market maker is that the layouts server no longer seems to set up my screen.Just seem to get the blank blue sreen and have to set up manually each time i log on .This has only been happening recently.Anyone else having the same?????

No problem with this aspect for me. If you are saving the layouts you create and making them your default, but not getting them back when you open, then I would call the helpdesk.

pineapple1 said:
Only problem i seem to have with Market maker is that the layouts server no longer seems to set up my screen.Just seem to get the blank blue sreen and have to set up manually each time i log on .This has only been happening recently.Anyone else having the same?????

If you're saving your layouts and when you log in again they are not available then I would email the helpdesk at CMC. So far, with my problem they have responsed to each of my emails and tried to be as constructive as possible.

In their last email they noted that there appears to be a problem with the new Market Maker and pc's using Norton anti-virus. (I don't use it, so this isn't the problem with mine).

I have now uninstalled Market Maker and reinstalled it from their web-site and it's still freezing the computer. My next task will be to delete all my layouts and reconstruct them to see if this is the problem.

pineapple1 said:

To me, this happens on average once in a week or a fortnight. Usually the layout server is accessible when I re-login after an hour or so. It was once down for a full day though. Not a huge problem though - I can always open group price windows through "Favourites" and use the saved setups for my charts.

Last edited:
I ahve a long running complaint with the FSA about 'steal for free'. I suggest that you go to IG. The service is superb.

Phil

JillyB said:
Hi Everyone

philhackett said:
I ahve a long running complaint with the FSA about 'steal for free'. I suggest that you go to IG. The service is superb.

Phil

Hey Phil, did you already break up with GFT and your buddy Wes Newman? :confused:

Hey PhilHackett, whats your 'steal for free' complain with the FSA about?
I am with deal4free as well....
Bharat