Premium rate scams

cas01

I have just had one of these premium rate diallers try to download itself onto my system (from a website about maps). I think I managed to stop it. Given that I am on broadband and use a firewall (and I also have disconnected the dial-up modem), I don't think it would be a problem even if I didn't stop it. Am I correct in thinking that, as diallers are not viruses, Norton or other AV software is useless in stopping them? Would Spybot or Ad-Aware find them?

Also what sort of files are they i.e. how do I work out if one has got through, into which folders are they likely to download themselves (on Windows XP) and if they are there, how do I get rid of them?

Thanks in advance for any help with these questions.

C.

No modem = no premium rate dialler, so no problem.Even so, with broadband selected, it would only dial up if your broadband failed....
I don't know if spyware detectors etc will catch them....

most decent spyware detectors will find them

MT

cas01 said:
I have just had one of these premium rate diallers try to download itself onto my system (from a website about maps). I think I managed to stop it. Given that I am on broadband and use a firewall (and I also have disconnected the dial-up modem), I don't think it would be a problem even if I didn't stop it. Am I correct in thinking that, as diallers are not viruses, Norton or other AV software is useless in stopping them? Would Spybot or Ad-Aware find them?

Also what sort of files are they i.e. how do I work out if one has got through, into which folders are they likely to download themselves (on Windows XP) and if they are there, how do I get rid of them?

Thanks in advance for any help with these questions.

C.

You could have caught more than a dialler :devilish:
Update and run Ad-aware and Spybot. Fix everything Ad-aware finds but only prechecked red in Spybot.
Some additional settings for Ad-aware:
Under Ad-aware 6 > Settings (Gear at the top) > Tweaks > Scanning Engine:
Check: "Unload recognized processes during scanning."

Under Ad-aware 6 > Settings (Gear at the top) > Tweaks > Cleaning Engine:
Check: "Let Windows remove files in use after reboot."

Press "Scan Now"

Check option "Use Custom scanning options"
Check option "Activate In-Depth Scan"
Press "Select drives\folders to scan"
Select the active partition which is usually C:

Now press "Next" to let Ad-aware scan your drives...
It will find a number of "bad" files and registry keys. Click 'Next' again
Right-click in that pane and choose "select all"

If it finds "bad" files and registry keys, press "Next" again
It will ask you whether you'd like to remove all checked items. Click OK.

Finally, close Ad-Aware, and reboot.

Then try a couple more scans
http://www.spywareinfo.com/xscan.php
http://www.windowsecurity.com/trojanscan/
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

Let us know

Many thanks to everyone for their advice. I followed Oatman's suggestions and Ad-Aware found three tracker files which I got rid off. None of the other three scans found anything...phew :D

C.