Best Thread Potential setups

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey btw, I hope everyone gets in when I call something a sucker pin.

I know Goatse does and I think Genics might be fading me everytime too.

:)

Our most consistent trader who hadn't had a single losing day in three years knew his market so well he could tell you who had accumulated what,

any idea how this guy trades would be very intersting

I can't tell you much but I can tell you that he uses the ladder. NOT THE CHARTS.

He only uses the charts to get the key levels and seems to almost never look at it. It's all done watching the price and the size traded at it.

Well done to you leges that cracked Corn. Talk about saved at the last minute. I can't believe how bearish that looked on yesterdays close and how bullish today lol

I've doubled up on my silver long position. Still only a small one.

I am considering it since that daily USDCAD pin :).

I do pass on a lot of setups that look technically right because I have a "feeling" about them so you will often see me saying "I doubt that's going to work", only to see it work perfectly. Usd/Jpy and of course that Usd/Cad were only two recent examples :)

And of course sometimes I'm certain something else will work like the S&P going to 957 before it went down to 934 and I'm spectacularly wrong. (It was close though - 954.75!)

But I know you guys are all cleverer than that and will, at most, weigh up anything I say or look at the setups I call and make your own decision.

That way I don't have to worry about Aaron's children starving.

Last edited:
Contrarian

I do pass on a lot of setups that look technically right , only to see it work perfectly. Usd/Jpy and of course that Usd/Cad were only two recent examples :)

I like your calls about the potential setups (particularly the two recent ones you mention). You often say your a contrarian [hmm spell check doesn't like that, but I hope yo know what I mean] trader, I am no where near as experienced or confident as you, but if I think the set up looks good, and you say it probably won't work, or you won't be taking it it adds to my confidence. If Tom doesn't like it it must be 'with the trend'! LOL

Seriously, those committed to this thread over the long term have no interest in 'calls' they are all here to learn from each other (and those generous, experienced traders such as yourself) to find 'their' method, 'their' time frames, 'their' instuments etc
and gain in confidence in thier ability to identify, place and then manage their trades

thanks as always and keep it up

best to all
Paul

AUDUSD - So, is the weekly pin off the 61% retrace and .7880 SR zone and 50sma from the monthly a sucker pin? It could offer excellent RR ratio as PA has retraced into last weeks pin and is 80 pips short of the pin high. All depends on your dollar view which is still short - so do the indices hold the answer? 1hr pin on Dow this afternoon - the closes are the traces of the pro's - and it looks like it may have been a fakey break out?

Last edited:
I do pass on a lot of setups that look technically right because I have a "feeling" about them so you will often see me saying "I doubt that's going to work", only to see it work perfectly. Usd/Jpy and of course that Usd/Cad were only two recent examples :)

And of course sometimes I'm certain something else will work like the S&P going to 957 before it went down to 934 and I'm spectacularly wrong. (It was close though - 954.75!)

But I know you guys are all cleverer than that and will, at most, weigh up anything I say or look at the setups I call and make your own decision.

Agreed, much the same way I passed on your recent Silver IB call. And thank you for doubting what we post and thank you for posting your setups. I (and I'm sure I'm not alone) am here to learn from others, and your MMT thread taught me much of what I know about trading, and you continue to offer a lot in this and other threads. Besides, you provided reasoning behind the feelings about those two setups, which was very useful.

Ilya

BTW, this rep redistribution makes me feel like I'm back in the USSR - "let's rob everyone of their reps and divide them equally!" We should call each other comrades now. :)

EURUSD Short

Hi Tom, my short failed... Had to go to bed and put my stop as close as was reasonable to my opening price and then should have taken off 1-2 units at bedtime, then got stopped out overnight at UKP30 loss instead... My wife keeps telling me "don't be afraid to take a profit", and every time she has told me that when I have held on, I end up being stopped out - She is psychic!!

Regards Chris Collins

Well, that 1hr Euro/Usd pin showed the direction for the near term...

Guess the H&S break ain't happening...yet...

Hi Tom, my short failed... Had to go to bed and put my stop as close as was reasonable to my opening price and then should have taken off 1-2 units at bedtime, then got stopped out overnight at UKP30 loss instead... My wife keeps telling me "don't be afraid to take a profit", and every time she has told me that when I have held on, I end up being stopped out - She is psychic!!

Regards Chris Collins

I never think anyone should be afraid to take a profit, I just maintain that no one should take a profit simply because there is profit to take. You should get out when you think there is a high probability the move is over. This is why I trail my stops a lot of the time. But I don't trail them in a: "I'm up 30 pips...move stop to +15...I'm up 40 pips...move to +25 etc" way. This is pointless and makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to me. I trail them at places where if the price retraces too, I think it signals a change in direction against my read.

CADJPY is really winding up

I think it's going to tank. The price is not feeling comfortable above 89.17.

Attachments

• 2009-06-11 cadjpy d1.gif
    2009-06-11 cadjpy d1.gif
    17 KB · Views: 202
EURUSD Short

Hi Tom and fellow traders, had a s@#t of a day so far. Three attempts trying to pick the right place to short EUR USD have drained my account somewhat. I still believe the big daily H&S pattern should take precedence over the shorter timeframe ripples, so for better or worse, I am in a short position again from 1.4101 with 2 units. Current stop is at 1.4120. I was stopped out thrice earlier today unnecessarily when I varied from my usual very generous stop placement to a tighter one- this is what us relative newbies do wrong over and over again till we eventually learn the hard way just how much wiggle room is safe for a stop.

I can see this short possibly having difficulty/bounces at 1.4055, 1.4035, 1.4000, then 1.3980, 1.3940. If it breaks 1.3940 will be happier that the larger H&S pattern is actually coming to fruition.

Good luck to all who might be short here.

Regards Chris Collins

Attachments

• EURUSD.GIF
    EURUSD.GIF
    84.4 KB · Views: 177
Status
Not open for further replies.