Best Thread Potential setups

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stuart,

Good question, but one that doesn't really have a right or wrong answer.

We can delve a little deeper into why equities' boys prefer to use close prices rather than high's or low's though - because the majority of liquidity in equities markets is over an exchange, it can be very difficult to move a position outside of these hours (particularly for London only listed comapnies, or FTSE 250 stocks, etc...). Consequently, it can be argued that "close" prices hold more weight in equity markets than they do in, say, FX markets; come the last hour of equity exchange trading, many traders will be reviewing the price of the stock and their position in it. A stock on a bullish run, for example, may see a drop in price towards the end of the session as profits are taken from long positions - an indication that the traders are not prepared to hold on to their illiquid position after market hours (there may be earnings due for a competitor, for example). The close price represents the balance between bulls and bears that are willing to accept the out-of-hours risk; It is the illiquidity of equities markets after exchange traded hours that make close prices so much more significant.

Consider this in comparison with OTC markets, such as Bond or FX - due to the change in trading hours across the globe, it will usually be possible to unwind a position at pretty short notice any time of the day. Come the end of the London session, a currency trader can always telephone his mate over in the US and ask him to keep an eye on his position for him, granting him the right to close it if some US economic figure comes in below expectations, or whatever. Added to that the difficulty of getting everyone to agree on the "open" and "close" hours themselves, and it becomes tricky.

One can make use of the closed prices in OTC markets though; For example, by setting your charts to run on 8hr timeframes, with the open and closing times coinciding with the activity across the continents, some qualitative information can be gained. It is possible to see, for example, if a Support level in EUR/JPY was tested and held in London and the US (i.e. price closed above support for both sessions), but re-tested and failed during the asian market hours (price closing below said level of support).

Thanks for the responses guys. Makes sense, close prices for equities, candlesticks for Forex.

New one for you. Going through my day charts it looks like a lot of pairs are really just consolidating at the moment, leading to few opportunities. Are you guys seeing that?

I'm still long AUD/USD, although think that might have to close soon.

THe other pair that looks interesting is EUR/JPN. That looks like it might attack the High at 16887 shortly. Will it break out or retrace???

Hey Guys, have been noticing there hasnt been much input over the last few days/weeks...? Has there simply not been anything potential worth reporting on...???

Hmm,

I posted earlier and the post never showed up.

Anyway, also think it looks really flat out there at the moment. Only pair i'm really watching is EUR/JPN. Looks like it could hit that high at 16887 soon. Breakout trade, or retracement, which will it be?

I noticed your post had appeared, but then disappeared......????

Anyway; reading back the earlier reply, I will add that the significance of Closing prices in equities markets may be on the downturn, due to these Dark liquidity pools that keep popping up; I don't know much about equities markets though, so I'll leave it at that.

I'm watching for a short on USD/JPY, its approaching the top of a downward trendline in my H4 chart. However i dont like the look of all the bull pins in the last 8 or so candles

Also watching AUS/USD as its approaching 0.9650 zone , in a very tight upward channel,which has acted as resistance recently and some years ago, but theres a while to wait on that chart yet.

I will add that the significance of Closing prices in equities markets may be on the downturn, due to these Dark liquidity pools that keep popping up; I don't know much about equities markets though, so I'll leave it at that.
The existence of dark liquidity pools and crossing networks is to reduce the impact on price of large transactions, quite apart from the relative anonymity they provide. TCA and algo trading further utilise these pools by slicing up one or more large blocks across a number of pools.

The net effect is less impact on price than if these transactions were executed through open routes.

Why would you imagine they have any bearing on Closing prices?

Im spreadbetting the FTSE for a bit, 0pt spread + guaranteed stops, be silly not to! :) ... if ODL are any good that is.

heres my charts, daily and 4hr, no setups at the moment but Im going to look out for a way to sell it.

tic chart is from WHC ......... I dont trust those spikes, but I havent watched this market closely for years, any opinions if those are 'real' ? if not know any decent broker with FTSE charts ?

Attachments

• ftse_d1.gif
    ftse_d1.gif
    14.9 KB · Views: 199
  • ftse_h4.gif
    ftse_h4.gif
    14.4 KB · Views: 187
  • ftse_whc.gif
    ftse_whc.gif
    5.6 KB · Views: 181
hi pip,just thinking about you regarding patience and time frames,are you still short loonie because its looking handsome now.i,like yourself have been shook out of GJ recently and am now kicking myself.

this is my latest venture,ignore the arrow on the first chart

Attachments

• TATE & LYLE WEEKLY.png
    TATE & LYLE WEEKLY.png
    13.3 KB · Views: 182
  • TATE & LYLE.png
    TATE & LYLE.png
    9.1 KB · Views: 186
  • tate.gif
    tate.gif
    13.5 KB · Views: 186
He everyone,
1pipped has brought it up......... could you all take a second to post which broker you use and for what?

I use IG, both for trading and charting.
I also have cityindex account but only for backup.

I am thinking about opening further accounts with cmc and odl.

How about you?
Thanks

Shares with iii, spreadbets and trading with IG. Had finspreads as a back up, not sure I can remember my log-ins there anymore. ODL at home for charting for dailies.

hi pip,just thinking about you regarding patience and time frames,are you still short loonie because its looking handsome now.i,like yourself have been shook out of GJ recently and am now kicking myself.

Yes still short loonie, its in my oanda account, i dont log in there very often so 'out of sight out of mind'!! Stop is at b/e, so it either gets to the stop first or 1.000 first. re: gbpjpy, yeah that is a crafty b@stard isnt it :LOL:

Tate &lyle looks to have bounced off a decent level , good luck with that venture :clover:

omni I have Alpari for following TD's thread/methods, Oanda for other trades but Ive stopped trading anything but TD's methods now so I use that for daily bar trades now (+gold/silver ), ODL (not used it yet) for FTSE.

Status
Not open for further replies.