Potential setups 2

GBP CHF Trade

chance for my entry into GBPCHF came today, it came back to the trend line and pivot zone....there seems to be a battle going on near that pivot zone.If it moves up I'm in for the long run. I read the Swiss Central bank is trying to keep the franc down, against the euro at least, I remember reading in one of the mkt wizards that when traders know a central bank has a target they like to test it, kind of like Soros did with the £ yrs ago, maybe thats whats going on. who knows for sure? See how it pans out. £ is looking stronger against the $ at least.

And it really flew.....Up over 400 points on the day:)
Is the swiss central bank is getting a real beating? Will it fight back??

Attachments

• gbpchfdaily.jpg
    gbpchfdaily.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Pretty critical area for GBP/USD.

I got 92 pips out of the hourly setup at 6am GMT (reverse h&s and pin at s/r pivot) but daily is harder to gauge the next move at the moment.

Daily wise for the bulls we're getting a lot of long tails at horizontal support which coincides with 5 touches of that ascending TL. And you're with the short to medium term trend now after the basing pattern in early '09.

For the bears we have a pretty massive resistance around 1.66 - 1.6675 (also a s/r pivot - look back to Oct '08) plus you're with the longer term trend down.

Alot of people still ask me about these pivots. If it goes through a strong one, isn't that bullish/bearish and shouldn't I just get in?

No, is the simple answer to that. Watch what price does.

I wouldn't look to play a hard breakout here, personally. Last time I saw this exact same setup (albeit on the monthly TF), we pulled a massive headfake, took out the topside of the range and then collapsed.

Safest play on this TF for me would be to take out 1.6675, retest it from above, reject it sharply or base there and then play it long for 1.72, which incidentally is going to be massive. I wouldn't be playing the short side of the market yet on this TF.

Attachments

• gbp_daily.gif
    gbp_daily.gif
    17.2 KB · Views: 228
And it really flew.....Up over 400 points on the day:)
Is the swiss central bank is getting a real beating? Will it fight back??

Well there were decent bids again 1.5295/05 area earlier this morning but they seem to have gone for now. Trading a touch softer. Don't rule out fireworks later though. Just the sort of move that could kill a few people this afternoon, aalthough the nearer we get to month / quarter / half year end the more sqwawking there will be if they mess up peoples' revals in the afternoon.

I absolutely hate Swissie with a passion and it is one of my worst performing markets.

Having said that, if we get good support here. I'm in long.

Attachments

• usd_chf.gif
    usd_chf.gif
    22.8 KB · Views: 206
I absolutely hate Swissie with a passion and it is one of my worst performing markets.

Having said that, if we get good support here. I'm in long.

I read something the other day saying the ECB wants to protect chf from greater falls against the euro. That should follow through across the board no?

I read something the other day saying the ECB wants to protect chf from greater falls against the euro. That should follow through across the board no?

First off you've got your post totally the wrong way around. It's not the ECB it's the Swiss National Bank (SNB). Secondly they want to stop the Swiss Franc gaining not falling.

Thirdly, stop reading and start watching price lol.

From what I've observed, traders love testing central bank rhetoric. If you watch the markets after the intial reaction you will see this happen time and time again. If the SNB says its going to let the CHF depreciate, you can bet your bottom dollar that most of the time, as soon as the parabolic move up is out of the way, it's going to make its merry way back down, drifting lower, getting as many c*nts in as possible who think its a great bargain since they are being backed by a bank.

As per my last post, you can see that I might be about to become one of said c*nts but rest assured its nothing to do with the SNB or anything I've read.

Yeh I must have crossed wires with something I read on ransqwaurk.

Dont you consider anything but PA in your trading TD? News and/or fundamentals must factor in to some extent :-S

Dont you consider anything but PA in your trading TD? News and/or fundamentals must factor in to some extent :-S

I don't follow the news at all anymore. The only time I bother to look is if its something that everyone is really waiting for. E.g. A quant easing announcement, a rate decision, non farms...all other fundamentals and news takes a back seat for me.

If you think the fundamentals suggest the Dollar is going to collapse and that the UK economy is improving - Where is your stop going? Where is your target going? Where are you getting in?

Aaron remember eurchf lower = swissy APPRECIATING as 1.5275 means one euro will buy 1.5275 swiss francs. If we go back to 1.50, Euro will buy less swiss francs, therefore euro weaker. Ergo swissy stronger.

And in terms of ECB, they could have potentially aided the SNB (who intervened certainly in both their own name and through the BIS for sure). Plus a lot of people including the BoE have been talking the dollar up lately, so the past couple of days have smelled a touch like co-ordinated intervention (this maybe was what your sqwawk service was talking about?)

gbpusd

Just adding to that excellent Trader_Dante gbpusd analysis above, the 4hr chart shows the channel that has developed with support /channel bottom zone being tested 6 times from the original test of previous resistance as it became support. The resistance zone above and channel top has been tested twice now.

To the upside above the current 4hr channel top zone, that previous monthly swing lo zone on 2nd screenshot has the potential to see support become resistance (sbr) and there are a number of 50% fibs of the falls from 1162, 0395, 0157 to 3505, in that vicinity too.

To the downside the main potential support zone is shown on that 4hr chart (channel bottom potential support zone) with some ascending trend lines coming through on the 1hr upwards. Above that 4hr potential support zone There is further potential support visible on the 1hr t/f in respect of previous near term imbalances of supply/demand (potential rbs) and demand/supply (potential support) as well as fibs of the moves up from 6230 and 6371 in particular. Trend remains up on 1hr chart as price backs away from a 1.618% fib extension and minor previous 1hr sw lo zone on that t/f, around 6530/35-current intraday hi.

As Tom intimates above one of these channel extremes is gonna give..sometime !

24csapv.gif

v7s0v9.gif

Last edited:

Are you a bit of a news trader, Aaron? (nice name by the way)

I'm not much of a trader at all mate lol. I'm trying to learn to trade just on PA but I'm just interested in the forces behind the action too. I think I'd feel a bit more confident in my own judgement if I had a bit of an understanding of why things are moving the way they move.

I'm changing my name soon btw lol.

Don't change your name, be proud of being called Aaron. It's you all over, Aaron the PA trader. It's got a certain 'ring' to it mate.