Posts that 'damage the reputation of this forum'

There are several active posters on here who contradict themselves and amass stupidity points by the hundreds and I'd say 90% of their posts are not worth the text box they're typed into...but banning them just for that might be a bit harsh. I call ODT a flip-flop trader. What he advocates today as the greatest thing since slice bread, he tells you tomorrow how we misunderstood him and then he goes to the opposite extreme!

I quote something Trendie said from another thread:

Not really. every magazine has a cartoon page, a light-hearted astrology, or entertainment section.
We need the occasional clown to add a dash of colour to this site.

T2W would be a boring place if it was straight-laced and po-faced all the time.

I agree.

Peter

ADDED: I'm waiting for tomorrow so I can legitimately post my "criticizes after end of May" :LOL:

Last edited:
I've thought for a long time we should have negative reps.
Yes, you can just ignore a posting you think is rubbish, but silence is sometimes taken as assent. It would be nice to be able to record that you disagree with a posting, without having to make a posted comment (and getting into stupid arguments, etc).

Yes, you can do that but it will not help the usefullness of an educational thread. These threads are padded out with daft comments and arguments , sometimes going on for pages. If I recommend that a thread, dealing with a certain trading idea, be read, I often am conscious that I am committing someone to read it, when there are only a very few decent posts in it, the rest being a waste of time..

That is a pity, but I don't see what the alternative is, unless they are edited and who is going to do that amount of work?

I've been hanging around here for about 18 months now. I have a set of people who's views I will pay attention to and a set that I just ignore. Every now and again, somebody who I would not ordinarily listen to says something that is interesting and I get a nice suprise.

Like most things in life you get out what you put in. With T2W I sift and read a lot to get value from a few posts every now and again which improve my trading. I would not be anywhere near the level of (in)competence I am at now without having done this.

Censoring what people say based upon a limited set of value judgements would kill the site rather than allow it to meander in the way it does.

Yes, you can do that but it will not help the usefullness of an educational thread. These threads are padded out with daft comments and arguments , sometimes going on for pages. If I recommend that a thread, dealing with a certain trading idea, be read, I often am conscious that I am committing someone to read it, when there are only a very few decent posts in it, the rest being a waste of time..

That is a pity, but I don't see what the alternative is, unless they are edited and who is going to do that amount of work?

split

work has started on editing archive (non-active) threads to remove all the "incidental" comments etc etc. Tim and his Forum Editors are doing it and I'm glad it's not me :) since, as you say, it's a lot of work.

cheers

jon

I've thought for a long time we should have negative reps.
Yes, you can just ignore a posting you think is rubbish, but silence is sometimes taken as assent. It would be nice to be able to record that you disagree with a posting, without having to make a posted comment (and getting into stupid arguments, etc).

We used to have negative rep but, as Tim says, it got mis-used as did the supposedly more constructive positive rep only approach.

In the end people who hang around long enough get a good idea of who is worth listening to (or not) and that's probably better than relying on some shiny stars.

cheers

jon

I'm all for free speech and everyone's right to say what they want, but the objective of this forum is not to be an audience to testosterone-fuelled idiot comments like this.

I don't see anything wrong with his post.

And what's wrong with waving your d*ck around, anyway? I mean, sure, it's gonna p*ss some people off but they are usually the ones not making any money and fed up with everyone else rubbing their face in it.

I'm sure you've seen or heard of the testosterone on a professional trading floor/pit. If everyone in the pit was a limp d*ck sack of sh(t with no brag, no bluster, no bravado then the market would be the dullest place on earth (and probably wouldn't move half as much either)

The reputation of this forum isn't improved when threads that do contain interesting discussions such as this one are closed (despite requests to keep it open) on the whim of - ironically - the "Content Manager".

Seriously, wtf?

Mr. G',
I've replied to your PM before seeing this. In light of my comments, perhaps you'd care to edit your post?
Tim.

Are you trying to censor criticism? That's a bit wussy :LOL:
Hi Dave,
Yeah, it would be 'wussy' if that was what I was trying to do. Suffice it to say, I wasn't! It's just the order of play. I received a PM, replied to it and then updated my closing post to the thread in question. Mr. G now knows (as does everyone else) that the thread was closed for good reason - and not as he first thought - on a whim.
;)
Tim.

Last edited:
Fair does.

But I can't let that Gary thing go - do you *know* what he gets up to in his spare time :D

Fair does.

But I can't let that Gary thing go - do you *know* what he gets up to in his spare time :D
I've heard a few rumours, yes. Apparently, he's very well known in certain watering holes and associated establishments in downtown Bangkok. Lucky chap, I say.
:p