Popping out for a smoke......

fxmarkets said:
private clubs, still not allowed to smoke in them, which seems a bit , "control freakish" of the government

as far as I understand it at the moment...

Perhaps a little creativity is in order, as in a private club which is devoted to smoking but which also happens to serve alcohol . . .

:) I think the swines, are slamming all doors shut , I think people would be ok if they thought Private clubs would be allowed, but what I understand at this stage, any private club, would still warrant a smoking ban.. dare say some places will attempt a smokers lockin maybe.......... cunning locals smoking in the landlords own private residence lounge or something as a guest.. they'd say...

On a serious note here ..this legislation opens a terrific vacuum for a business opportunity...as a basic starting point it needs some legal expertise (almost a contradiction in terms I know) applied to it to identify how it may best be exploited. At the risk of advertising ,on the slim chance the aforementioned might be reading this I will enable my pm messaging to discuss.

Smoking Ban

Today the smoking ban kicks in.

Is it nanny state and part of a hidden agenda to take away all freedom of choice or is it good riddance to all those selfish coffin nailers?

Will public place and especially pubs really benefit?

I leave you with a pleasant observation from the Guardian Unlimited site..

Everyone I've talked to from Scotland and NI say that without the cigarette smoke, all one smells are the farts. And the loos and the stench of vomit. Yumm, I'm quite looking forward to that.

Is it nanny state and part of a hidden agenda to take away all freedom of choice or is it good riddance to all those selfish coffin nailers?

Everyone I've talked to from Scotland and NI say that without the cigarette smoke, all one smells are the farts. And the loos and the stench of vomit. Yumm, I'm quite looking forward to that.

Freedom of choice??? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Smokers still have the choice to smoke or not, that hasn't been taken away...it's just that now they can't light up wherever they want with total disregard for Non-Smokers who were never given the choice of breathing in the 2nd hand smoke.

This law couldn't come sooner.

Last edited:

you missed body odour, (ive heard the same from scotland). looks like it will be a pleasant experience then.

Are you trying to incite the English to vote for independence?.

Split

Smoking ban = one of the BEST pieces of legislation by any government in the last 100 years (IMHO) :D .

I think its great, as (CAMRA) said the other day,

"The Campaign for Real Ale says its surveys suggest that very few people will be deterred from going to pubs - and that 840,000 people who currently do not go to pubs would become more likely to go to smoke-free pubs."

Thats good to hear because no one obviously minds the inevitable increase in drinking related deaths, like the number isn't high enough already.

Section from the 'world health organization' site...

"The Cancer Society of New Zealand reports that second-hand smoke is the third largest killer in the country, after active smoking and alcohol use."

I'm not saying the ban is wrong but in context, surely its making things worse by increasing the number of drinkers? Shouldn't that be tackled also? All its doing is increasing drinking. If your going to do one, do them all.

Last edited:
I think its great, as (CAMRA) said the other day,

"The Campaign for Real Ale says its surveys suggest that very few people will be deterred from going to pubs - and that 840,000 people who currently do not go to pubs would become more likely to go to smoke-free pubs."

Thats good to hear because no one obviously minds the inevitable increase in drinking related deaths, like the number isn't high enough already.

Section from the 'world health organization' site...

"The Cancer Society of New Zealand reports that second-hand smoke is the third largest killer in the country, after active smoking and alcohol use."

I'm not saying the ban is wrong but in context, surely its making things worse by increasing the number of drinkers? Shouldn't that be tackled also? All its doing is increasing drinking. If your going to do one, do them all.

One thing the govt. loves to collect is tax.................:idea: Therefore they may be reluctant to tackle obvious problem products which they can charge taxes on.
It took them a while to ban tobacco advertising, once the decision had been made.

They have recently announced that replica soccer shirts sold in shops eg. Liverpool - Carlsberg - will NOT be able to carry the alcohol manufacturers sponsors name. IMO this is a good move as 6 y.o. kids will no longer be walking adverts for breweries.

Last edited:
We must be optimistic and realise that all this will be good for productivity and dividends.

All the ones who are, always, outside smoking will soon be seen to be unproductive and fired.

Split

Smoking Is Healthier Than Fascism
http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/january2007/300107smokingfascism.htm

Parallels with history, hmm.........

The anti-tobacco campaign of the Nazis
http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/313/7070/1450

btw I'm a non smoker.

Fascinating stuff about the Nazis.

According to WHO cigarette consumption worldwide is actually going to rise in the next ten years - mainly due to the chinese.

I quit some time ago - try not to think about it, though I do have dreams about smoking.

Was it Mark Twain who said

Giving up smoking's easy. I've done it hundreds of times.

Nicotine is among the most addictive substance known to man.

My grandad died of Stomach cancer in his late 70's. He'd smoked probably 20+ per day for 50 years, and drunk heavily from time to time, and had had a stomach ulcer for over a decade.
Had he not adopted either of these vices, (genetically) he may well have been the type to have lived healthily into his 90's i imagine.

Last edited:
Nicotine is the most addictive substance known to man.

My grandad died of Stomach cancer in his late 70's. He'd smoked probably 20+ per day for 50 years, and drunk heavily from time to time, and had had a stomach ulcer for over a decade.
Had he not adopted either of these vices, (genetically) he may well have been the type to have lived healthily into his 90's i imagine.

Well my Grandad smoked 40 untipped fags a day and drank huge quantities of whisky and lived to be 86.

Britain's oldest man, George Cook, died at 108 in his sleep in September, l997. He "smoked heavily for 85 years before giving up tobacco at the age of 97."

http://www.forces.org/evidence/hamilton/other/oldest.htm

Well my Grandad smoked 40 untipped fags a day and drank huge quantities of whisky and lived to be 86.

Britain's oldest man, George Cook, died at 108 in his sleep in September, l997. He "smoked heavily for 85 years before giving up tobacco at the age of 97."

http://www.forces.org/evidence/hamilton/other/oldest.htm

Thats pretty amazing, and both men were lucky people in that sense.

Having a strong genetic background has got to be an important factor..........:idea:

Thats pretty amazing, and both men were lucky people in that sense.

Having a strong genetic background has got to be an important factor..........:idea:

You see!!! He lived eleven more years after giving it up.

Everytime the conversation comes to smoking we each know of exceptions who lived to 999 years etc. These outliers do nothing to overturn the well known probabilities that smoking both shortens your lifespan and degrades your health and from that your ability to maintain a quality of life commensurate with non smoking .... besides which I am ...
a) pissed off with smokers stinking up my clothes and hair when all I wish to do is enjoy the ambience of a romantic meal.
b) sick of paying taxes to support a bottomless pit called the NHS which inturn would be much less of a bottomless pit if it was not having to fight a major ongoing battle to put right the ravages of smoking (don't argue ...I have firsthand info on this straight from the operating table)

Given there is not a law that would allow to me to shoot smokers then the latest law is a reasonable compromise. :!:

whilst I don't disagree, I am happy smoking outside and prefer smoke free places, alcohol is still the bigger killer. Yet nothing is being done about it and this in fact, entices more people down the pub.