Pop ups driving me crazy!

spoon102

Help

Can anyone suggest how to stop pop-ups appearing. Everytime I open a web page a get a new browser with a related site. This seems ten times worse than usual. Have I inadvertently downloaded something on my PC?

I have checked my Anti-Virus software and cannot see any options to block pop-ups. Just downloaded google's free tool bar with blocker and that doesnt seem to work either.

Thanks

Spoon

There are a number of free ones that you can get from download.com. But be careful because I installed a popup preventer - CleanMyPC - which had a great write-up, but it was so effective that it made most IE windows close spontaneously, and it took me some time to spot the problem. Once I uninstalled it the problem vanished.

Spoon,

Run Spybot and ad-aware every few days. (do search on google or download.com).

Both free and non intrusive. HTH

To keep the system clean use Lavasoft

http://www.lavasoft.de

This hunts down and allows you to delete any any known rogue cookies, programs etc.

The basic (free) version is more than adequate.

I also use the Agnitum firewall which has a superb pop-up blocker included. There is a free version (I use the Pro version of this). The blocker allows you to switch pop-ups on for selected sites and you can quickly disable blocking if you need to.

http://www.agnitum.com

For specific sites, I use Tools - Internet Options - Security - Restricted Sites

and then specify particular sites I regularly visit and are bad offenders

Disabling 'messenger' worked for me - aparrenty it leaves a port open for ads unless disabled. This isn't the same messenger that is used as some sort of chat facility (so I'm told).

I have Windows XP and you go into 'Start - Control Panel - Admin Tools - Services - Messenger'. Set the startup type to 'Disabled' and hey presto, no more bother.

spoon
google toolbar works just fine

but you do have to follow the instructions.

Mozilla Firefox

I've used IE for years and was reluctant to switch to the bulky Mozilla suite. Firefox (formerly known as Firebird) is a standalone browser based on Mozilla that is better in every way than IE.

Firefox

It blocks annoying popups by default.

Suggest you run an online scan or 2 in case you've picked something up on your travels
There are a number of links under Further Resources at the beginning of Techies Corner.
Additionally download Spywareblaster under Javacool. It'll stop a lot of crap getting on. Adaware and Spybot deal with what slips through :cheesy:

ps. if you want to view your Cookies go to http://www.karenware.com/powertools/powertools.asp
and sdcroll down for Cookie Viewer ;)
Lots of other stuff there as well

Last edited:
Another thought. Only remove what is already checked in Spybot, unless you know what you're doing. Adaware is safe.

You would be beter off disabling messenger (not MSN Messenger) all together as it allows access by hackers. Check out www.grc.com for details

Paul

Hey, this is my first posting on the forum, so here's my 10 cents worth.

I found CWShredder did wonders for my machine. Google toolbar is also good and I also run AVG and Adaware every couple of days, checking for regular updates.

I get no pop ups at all since:

Moving away from BT as my ISP (bunch of criminals anyway). Someone told me (could be false, but....)BT receive payment from some pop ups, so they have no intention of eliminating them.

&

Using Netscape as my browser. (Far superior than IE in terms of speed, functionality and reliability, especially if your using Java apps) Netscape has an option that allows you to eliminate pop ups from defined sites or all sites.

Personally, I'm a bit wary of downloading techie freeware due to viruses - maybe Im overly paranoid?

BBB, You should join the anti-spyware brigade over at Pitstop.
They HATE it! :cheesy:

don't have any pop ups....use google bar and norton int protector...and that's it...

I use BT broadband..they may be promoting pop ups but my system stops them anyway...