Platforms to trade shares on - confused and angry!

HealeyTrade

Hello,

So I plan to day trade US stocks. I have opened a demo account with IG.

It has been very frustrating as I have been told that 'this stock is not available to trade' or 'you can only trade for a close'. It is not clear if I am demo trading CFDs or shares.

I have attempted to contact IG - no response. The information on the internet site is poor to say the least.

Another frustrating thing is that I have signed up to Finviz live account to screen for stocks. Having read books and videos I am aware of the need to be clam, to plan your trade and to determine how much you are willing to risk in a trade. I then log on to the IG demo platform and the ticker is not there, I go down the list of screened 'Gappers', the ones on the list are not there. I did ask IG if I am doing something wrong - as I say no response. Is there a difference between a demo account or a real trading account, does the real trading account show all the stocks that are available? What do you do if a stock is not available on that platform, I even asked IG if they can be added - again no response.

I have alot of questions but I am not getting anywhere. I am frustrated and any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

HTrade

Hello,

So I plan to day trade US stocks. I have opened a demo account with IG.

It has been very frustrating as I have been told that 'this stock is not available to trade' or 'you can only trade for a close'. It is not clear if I am demo trading CFDs or shares.

I have attempted to contact IG - no response. The information on the internet site is poor to say the least.

Another frustrating thing is that I have signed up to Finviz live account to screen for stocks. Having read books and videos I am aware of the need to be clam, to plan your trade and to determine how much you are willing to risk in a trade. I then log on to the IG demo platform and the ticker is not there, I go down the list of screened 'Gappers', the ones on the list are not there. I did ask IG if I am doing something wrong - as I say no response. Is there a difference between a demo account or a real trading account, does the real trading account show all the stocks that are available? What do you do if a stock is not available on that platform, I even asked IG if they can be added - again no response.

I have alot of questions but I am not getting anywhere. I am frustrated and any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

HTrade
well if you are this frustrated and its only a demo account, you've lost nothing but your own time and clearly learnt something about IG in the process
however, and to play devil's advocate...IG have provided a no cost simulation for you. you're not their client yet, you haven't committed any money. so even i would be thinking you're not their greatest priority
im also pretty certain they have videos, so you should be able to see whether you are trading from the CFd or spreadbet platform
they make it pretty clear that the simulation is representative of their products, along with cost etc
so if you cant use one of the tickers, that would be your answer. you cant use it, look at another broker and do they offer it
no point getting confused and angry on a demo mate. save that for the real thing

I've used several different UK spreadbetting platforms, it is common to find some US and even UK shares unavailable for clients to trade, even some UK FTSE350 listings. I guess its all to do with the mathematics of risk to the company.