Phono/ Video problem

bonsai

Veteren member
I have a carousel cd player with phono out to amplifier. So presumably it contains a pre-amp (?)

I would like to hook it up to my T.V and use the T.V's amplifier.

I have phono to scart cable but have been unable to detect a signal on AV2. I assume this is because AV2 requires a video signal to realise that the cable is live (?)

So I am thinking of having a cable made up which will be scart to scart but with the audio/phono plugs attached to the appropriate pins at one end.

Question is , will it work ?
if so, why ?.

I think it would be easier to use the phono to scart into the video than into the TV but it is up to you.

Paul

I tried that as an alternative but that doesnt work with my existing cable either.

The only reason for going the T.V route is that I can get musak all day just by changing channel.

but the issue is getting a cable that works, rather than what I plug it into.

lol

there does not seem to be a cable on the market that is designed for an audio link only into a video or T.V.
DVD or Cam yes, but not audio.

or am I missing something ?

It could just be that the SCART lead you have is an audio output lead instead of input. If it only has two phono plugs (red + white) attached, this is most likely the case, as these are common leads for playing TV audio through a hi-fi system, instead of the other way round as you want.

If you are reasonably competent with a soldering iron I could help you to dismantle the SCART lead, check the wiring and change it from output to input if this is what's wrong. E-mail me if you want more info (usual disclaimer about not being responsible for you blowing up your TV etc. etc. applies of course).

If you're not interested in mucking around like this, you could go along to your nearest Maplin, buy one of their SCART to 3 phono input leads (cost £7), and try it out with your CD player. If it doesn't work you can take it back on their 14 day money back guarantee.

KenN

knorrie

the cable I have is scart to 6 phono plugs
audio in L
audio in R
audio out L
audio out R
video in
video out

the cd has
audio L
audio R

I would have thought that would be a 2-way wiring but now you have me thinking !

any more thoughts ?

Have you tried flicking through the AV2 input selector on the T.V. whilst the CD is playing to see if the T.V. then picks up the signal?

FC

yes, I have done that.

and I suspect you will find that T.V's have audio output for links to hi-fi's not audio input.

Last edited:
spoken to maplins

the video/Tv needs a video signal down the cable or it wont work
there are no standard cables available to do what I want to do.
so I am back to having one made up for me.

so I need to know if my suggested configuration of scartto scart with audio diverted to phono will generate a video signal.

I think to use a SCART to phono lead the ouput has to go from the SCART to the phono and not vice versa.

Pin 8 is the source switching pin. So if a signal is not present on this pin the T.V. will not switch to the CD source. As you are outputting from the CD via the phono connectors there can't be a signal on pin 8 as this pin has no equivalent at the phono end.

Does that make sense? :|

FC

yes, Fat.

I know you can't generate a video link from a CD player.

that is the root cause of the issue in hand.

see my very first post ?

Bonsai
"have a carousel cd player with phono out to amplifier. So presumably it contains a pre-amp (?)"

I would not assume this - rather the contrary. The requirement for a phono preamp is limited to LP playing devices esp low output cartridges. Most other devices with phono outputs relied on external pre amplification that did not need the phono constituent.
I suspect that any interference with the circuit that the standard links are meant to create will disrupt any video signal that may be required before amplification wil take place. I would not assume that the audio signal and the video signal are carried on the same frequency through the connector either.

If I'm talking through my hat I know someone will put me right.

I will be interested in the outcome

Yes, I've read your 1st post more than once. :)

What I was trying to say was that I don't see how your are going to get audio from phono into a T.V. SCART without a video signal, no matter how you try to rig the lead.

FC

P.S.
How did you get on with your experiment that you described in the earlier (deleted?) post?

Bonsai -
Phono is the old stage for record players. It boosts the signal from either a moving coil or magnet cartridge (the needle). You may be better using the Aux or Tape input on the amp if there is one.

Anyway, the TV amp is probably very poor in comparison to the audio amp, so why bother?

There must be a reason why you dont want to put TV and CD through the amp like everyone else (sorry). What is it?

BBB - Agreed
Bonsai Couldn't u use another device - TV is the worst probably
seems an awful faff - for what?
Why don't u put your cd thru the computer sound card if u have one - speaker sound will be as good or better than TV - get a phono to min jack connecto - couple of quid

Bonsai - I just want to be sure you did do the following:

1. Plug the SCART connector into AV2 on the TV
2. Plug the audio IN phono plugs into the CD player
3. Manually select AV2 as the picture source using the TV's remote control.
4. Play a CD.

If this doesn't work, and you have a VCR or DVD, try plugging the video IN phono plug into the video out socket on either of these (as well as all of the above connections), and switch it on (don't play a tape/disc) to see if the lack of video signal really is the problem (it isn't on my Philips TV but YMMV).

Let me know what happens, don't despair just yet.

KenN