Phono/ Video problem

bonsai

Veteren member
4,106 10
I have a carousel cd player with phono out to amplifier. So presumably it contains a pre-amp (?)

I would like to hook it up to my T.V and use the T.V's amplifier.

I have phono to scart cable but have been unable to detect a signal on AV2. I assume this is because AV2 requires a video signal to realise that the cable is live (?)

So I am thinking of having a cable made up which will be scart to scart but with the audio/phono plugs attached to the appropriate pins at one end.

Question is , will it work ?
if so, why ?.

Trader333

8,612 939
I think it would be easier to use the phono to scart into the video than into the TV but it is up to you.

Paul

bonsai

Veteren member
4,106 10
I tried that as an alternative but that doesnt work with my existing cable either.

The only reason for going the T.V route is that I can get musak all day just by changing channel.

but the issue is getting a cable that works, rather than what I plug it into.

Trader333

8,612 939
They are cheap enough to buy so what is the issue ?

Paul

bonsai

Veteren member
4,106 10
lol

there does not seem to be a cable on the market that is designed for an audio link only into a video or T.V.
DVD or Cam yes, but not audio.

or am I missing something ?

knorrie

148 1
It could just be that the SCART lead you have is an audio output lead instead of input. If it only has two phono plugs (red + white) attached, this is most likely the case, as these are common leads for playing TV audio through a hi-fi system, instead of the other way round as you want.

If you are reasonably competent with a soldering iron I could help you to dismantle the SCART lead, check the wiring and change it from output to input if this is what's wrong. E-mail me if you want more info (usual disclaimer about not being responsible for you blowing up your TV etc. etc. applies of course).

If you're not interested in mucking around like this, you could go along to your nearest Maplin, buy one of their SCART to 3 phono input leads (cost £7), and try it out with your CD player. If it doesn't work you can take it back on their 14 day money back guarantee.

KenN

bonsai

Veteren member
4,106 10
knorrie

the cable I have is scart to 6 phono plugs
audio in L
audio in R
audio out L
audio out R
video in
video out

the cd has
audio L
audio R

I would have thought that would be a 2-way wiring but now you have me thinking !

any more thoughts ?

FatCanary

51 0
Have you tried flicking through the AV2 input selector on the T.V. whilst the CD is playing to see if the T.V. then picks up the signal?

FC

bonsai

Veteren member
4,106 10
yes, I have done that.

and I suspect you will find that T.V's have audio output for links to hi-fi's not audio input.

Last edited:

bonsai

Veteren member
4,106 10
spoken to maplins

the video/Tv needs a video signal down the cable or it wont work
there are no standard cables available to do what I want to do.
so I am back to having one made up for me.

so I need to know if my suggested configuration of scartto scart with audio diverted to phono will generate a video signal.

FatCanary

51 0
I think to use a SCART to phono lead the ouput has to go from the SCART to the phono and not vice versa.

Pin 8 is the source switching pin. So if a signal is not present on this pin the T.V. will not switch to the CD source. As you are outputting from the CD via the phono connectors there can't be a signal on pin 8 as this pin has no equivalent at the phono end.

Does that make sense? :|

FC

bonsai

Veteren member
4,106 10
yes, Fat.

I know you can't generate a video link from a CD player.

that is the root cause of the issue in hand.

see my very first post ?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock