OS Upgrade Advice,Please.

Here

Hello.
I have an old Dell Vostro on vista and a newer pc running windows 8.1.The vista pc is 64bit ready so can I just plug in a macrium reflect version of the 8.1 system,boot up and this will 'upgrade' the chip to 64bit? I've already bought the extra memory to upgrade it to 8gig.Then I'd just upgrade them both to windows10?

What are you wanting to use it for ? Windows 10 uses huge amounts of resource and often makes an older pc unusable. If you are comfortbale with Linux then maybe think about installing Linux Mint although it is not the same as Windows it is very good depending on what you want from your pc.

Ah ok very useful information,thanks.It was basically just the security worries but I had no idea there were problems.Yes I'm just a basic user not a gamer (except for zwift and that hardly counts) or modeller of any sort.Windows 10 is available for 'cheap' until month's end so I thought I'd take advantage.I looked on youtube about how to upgrade vista and it seemed complicated (I'm a technophobe).But the system says my chip is 64bit ready and just wondered if I slipped in the ssd with my otherpc's refected 8.1 on it if that would work.I tried updating to windows 7 but that doesn't work.I bought 8gigs of compatible memory for the vostro at a good cheap price so would linux allow me to use that?