Norton's 30 Minute Site Blocking Policy Versus Broadband 'Always On'?

jonnyy40

Experienced member
Norton's 30Minute Site Blocking Policy Versus Broadband 'Always On'?

Have shied away from getting Broadband as I get quite a lot of alerts and it's my understanding that Norton only blocks communication with sites for 30 minutes?
If broadband is always on and I go away from the screen (go to bed!) what happens? Sorry to ask such a basic question.

...norton will warn you of alerts...but as you use it more you will be able to individually filter out the sites and areas that are trying to create scrips, cookies, activex etc...

i use broadband with norton, and in a way leave it on 24 hrs...hardly a problem...

although i normally keep the Norton security tag on screen and use 'block traffic' button in the night that blocks ALL traffic basically...broadband is always on...

there are good features in norton you must tweak it to your liking...takes time but pays in the end..

I have broadband and use Norton with no problem. My PC is on 24hrs. I think you will find that it blocks rogue sites trying to hack in for 30 mins but if they try again and if any other sites try it will still block them.

I have broadband and I use zonealarm from www.zonelabs.com and it blocks everything that I dont want continuosly and it is FOC so another reason to use it.

Paul

oatman - yes Norton does use stealth. Don't know why though it leaves port 1720 open by default (this is for NetMeeting) and I had to add a blocking rule manually.

KenN

Nice to know it's open :cheesy:
From Shields UP:
Name:
h323hostcall

Purpose:
H.323 (Microsoft NetMeeting) call setup protocol

Description:
Port 1720 is used by the H.323 teleconferencing protocol (most commonly encountered in Microsoft NetMeeting) during call setup negotiation.

Related Ports:
389, 1002

Just tested mine and I'm stealthed.

knorrie

If you don't use NetMeeting (or something else for that matter) why not just disable the relevant Service via the Computer Management screen? WinXP is full of obscure things few of us use/need.

Kilnside - yes I have this and many other Services I don't need turned off. Thanks for reminding me of this though - I plan to re-install XP soon (been running the original install for over 2 years so much more stable than NT IME) and this is an aspect of the planning for this I probably would have missed.

KenN

oatman

Very useful site, thanks for that. I like his idea of setting up a 'one click' reg file solution to disabling all the services you don't need.

KenN