Norton Internet Security 2004

smiley

Hello All

I've just updated to Nortons 2004 edition and my computers speed has greatly reduced. I'm not a techie but I thought that my computer was a good specification but when I'm browsing the net my CPU usage jumps to 100% and pages are taking forever to come up. Is there anything that I can do to quicken things up?

My computer specifiaction is as follows;

Intel Pent 4 with 2.6 GhzProcessor, 512 MB Ram, 120 GB Hard disk

Any help would be great.

Thanks

You shouldn't be running at 100%. you may have an infection.Try some online trojan scans.
Have you got Ad-aware and Spybot?

:confused:
oatman said:
You shouldn't be running at 100%. you may have an infection.Try some online trojan scans.
Have you got Ad-aware and Spybot?

Thanks for the quick reply. When I said that I wasn't a techie I guess that was an understatemet 'cos I've never heard of trojan scans or Ad-aware and Spybot. Can U point me in the right direction?

If your system is very clean then Norton should not really slow the system that much.....

there will be some slowness but nothing that you will notice with a spec like that....

I use same package and it is very good....

My computer has remained invisible on virtually all the tests that I have done online....

I have had the same problem. Reinstall Windows XP, the latest edition and don't use Norton, try another antivirus program.

//Carl

smiley said:
Hello All

I've just updated to Nortons 2004 edition and my computers speed has greatly reduced. I'm not a techie but I thought that my computer was a good specification but when I'm browsing the net my CPU usage jumps to 100% and pages are taking forever to come up. Is there anything that I can do to quicken things up?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Alos try to refrain from installing two virus checkers and two internet protectors....

this will very surely muddle the issue...

Norton Internet protector on it's own is more than enough....there is no need for any other freebees really..

Enter "Norton slow" in Google and you will find others with similar problems. With so many other AV scanners out there do what I did - dump it and get your money back. I now use NOD32 with no problems.

oatman said:
Just thought. Are you up to date with Windows critical updates?

Thanks every body for your replies. Spoke to Packard Bell who manufacture my computer and they talked me through some changes with the Norton download. They told me that when I purchased the updates online and downloaded them, for some reason the existing edition of Norton that I had was not completely overwriten.

Double Dutch to me but the computer is going faster now, although not as fast as B4!

Once again, thanks. :)

oatman said:
Run those checks anyway. I'll bet you're infested with spyware :eek:

BIG thanks Oatman, I'm doing the checks anyway and am up to date with the Windows updates. Good to "speak" to somebody about the boring stull. Thanks for helping me out.

Hope to talk to U about making some dosh some day!

Chaeers

Smiley

If Norton has an error it demands 100%.. have found that problem on 2 computers..

look at CTRL ALT DEL if ccapp.exe is running at full.. then that is Norton being a pain yet again

oatman said:
Ad-aware http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/
Spybot http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
Reboot after installing, then update and scan. Fix everything that Ad-aware finds but only prechecked red in Spybot
Then run these
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan/licence.php
http://www.spywareinfo.com/xscan.php
All free :cheesy:

Oatman Help !!!!!

As a complete numbskull on these matters how do I know which files pose a threat ?

For example with the Ad-Aware I have quarantined 36 files because I don't whether to delete them or not. How do I know what to do or do I just delete them anyway ?

With the Spybot I deleted everything that was checkmarked red.

With the Bit Defender that has thrown up a 'suspect' file called C:\APPS\Nortonav\SUPPORT\NAVTOOL\REPAIR\KILL-CIH.EXE but wouldn't this be something to do with my Norton Anti-virus protection?

Thanks in anticipation

Computer Numbskull :eek:

When Ad-aware finishes scanning it tells you if they're New Critical Objects with a flashing spider thingy :rolleyes:
Update it and run it again. Click on Next and it will give you a list of what it found. Check the boxes. Click Next. Then you get an OK to delete box. Hit OK
I don't know about Norton. I'll try and find out. You could email it to them.

oatman said:
When Ad-aware finishes scanning it tells you if they're New Critical Objects with a flashing spider thingy :rolleyes:
Update it and run it again. Click on Next and it will give you a list of what it found. Check the boxes. Click Next. Then you get an OK to delete box. Hit OK
I don't know about Norton. I'll try and find out. You could email it to them.

OK Thanks Oatman - I will have a look at that tonight.

Cheers :p

Problems with Norton 04 Try These..

Hi

I've experienced the same problems after installing Norton 04. Basically it's great when you eventually get it working right but the product has flaws

If a virus scan brings up adware or spyware that's one of the main causes for a treacle bound cpu .. I found it's best to just disable or delete all the programs that might contain it , for example Kasza seems to seriously conflict
and slow up Norton and makes start ups a nightmare. Also start ups do take a lot longer because Norton downloads virus upgrades and generally takes a while to load ...so maybe like me you might start your comp and then take advantage of the time in hand by going for a long walk around the garden or a visit to the local shops etc ..before expecting to get any work done ..

After a scan you get the option to delete all the adware etc but it dosen't ever work .It can't ever delete them. When you complain to Norton a very nice man in Bombay tells you to use the file path it provides for each adware etc and using the online help instructions, delete it all yourself manually which is a laborious and hopelessly overcomplicated procedure and if you do manage to complete it, your comp might not even work at all afterwards.

I found this works.. uninstall Norton completely then delete disable anything that might remotely contain adware etc also spybot if you have it and any other free anti virus stuff like panicware etc (Yahoo pop up stopper is ok)
when your comp is clean go to my computer right click HDD >tools >error checking >select full disc scan, tic both boxes including windows components which will require a re start
after this completes (about 10 mins) install Norton again and set up a restore point so you can always return your comp to this pristine state ....and all shall be sunshine and light forever more ...well almost..

I have heard from cnbc that Norton has problems with these products even though they never admit this to the customer. When I complained enough Mahesh the very nice man in India offered me a full refund. It's important to keep an ear open for the upgrade they must be working on, as we should be able to download it for free...unless they call it Norton 05 ...lol
You do get locked into staying with them, having paid for the first years subscription and as stated, apart from the unavoidable slightly slower (or up to five minutes if it's upgrading..) start up, once it's sorted it does a brilliant job intruders are stopped dead , mails get checked and cleansed automatically and you can visually track the hacker through their I.p. and see a map of where he actually lives...
If anyone knows of a much better product for when my years subs are up ..pls let me know
one where you get to visually track the hacker and maybe shoot him ...or at least knock down a cyber door with some scary cyber cops ..

HAPPY AND SUCCESSFUL TRADING

peter 1 :LOL:

smiley said:
Hello All

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Last edited:
Peter 1 said:
Hi

I've experienced the same problems after installing Norton 04. Basically it's great when you eventually get it working right but the product has flaws

If a virus scan brings up adware or spyware that's one of the main causes for a treacle bound cpu .. I found it's best to just disable or delete all the programs that might contain it , for example Kasza seems to seriously conflict
and slow up Norton and makes start ups a nightmare. Also start ups do take a lot longer because Norton downloads virus upgrades and generally takes a while to load ...so maybe like me you might start your comp and then take advantage of the time in hand by going for a long walk around the garden or a visit to the local shops etc ..before expecting to get any work done ..

After a scan you get the option to delete all the adware etc but it dosen't ever work .It can't ever delete them. When you complain to Norton a very nice man in Bombay tells you to use the file path it provides for each adware etc and using the online help instructions, delete it all yourself manually which is a laborious and hopelessly overcomplicated procedure and if you do manage to complete it, your comp might not even work at all afterwards.

I found this works.. uninstall Norton completely then delete disable anything that might remotely contain adware etc also spybot if you have it and any other free anti virus stuff like panicware etc (Yahoo pop up stopper is ok)
when your comp is clean go to my computer right click HDD >tools >error checking >select full disc scan, tic both boxes including windows components which will require a re start
after this completes (about 10 mins) install Norton again and set up a restore point so you can always return your comp to this pristine state ....and all shall be sunshine and light forever more ...well almost..

I have heard from cnbc that Norton has problems with these products even though they never admit this to the customer. When I complained enough Mahesh the very nice man in India offered me a full refund. It's important to keep an ear open for the upgrade they must be working on, as we should be able to download it for free...unless they call it Norton 05 ...lol
You do get locked into staying with them, having paid for the first years subscription and as stated, apart from the unavoidable slightly slower (or up to five minutes if it's upgrading..) start up, once it's sorted it does a brilliant job intruders are stopped dead , mails get checked and cleansed automatically and you can visually track the hacker through their I.p. and see a map of where he actually lives...
If anyone knows of a much better product for when my years subs are up ..pls let me know
one where you get to visually track the hacker and maybe shoot him ...or at least knock down a cyber door with some scary cyber cops ..

HAPPY AND SUCCESSFUL TRADING

peter 1 :LOL:

P.S Also to speed up general surfing

go to >Control panel>Network connections .right click Local Area connection icon, select>Properties>remove tic from box marked >Client for microsoft networks then> ok and come out
(this is to do with interconnecting computers, nothing to do with the internet and slows down surfing if left on ..)