The Next US President

If I recall all he did is insist that if you have a p*nis between you legs that you use the men's room.

He did it for the safety of women. That's not an unreasonable demand considering that it has been the norm in society for 5000 years and it has worked well.

I don't have a problem with a man dressing up like a woman or being a homosexual. You can live your life any way you please as long as you don't infringe on me or anyone else. But it's gone too far ......men should use the men's room and women should use the women's room. If a public venue wants to create a third bathroom facility for 'none of the above'........fine. But I am still using the men's room.

You really know nothing about transgender issues, do you?

I completely disagree with that. She has continuously had scandal after scandal, even if she wasn't convicted of anything.

Peter

So has Trump. So did Bush. So did Reagan. So did Nixon. And on and on. And theirs were much worse.

Try to evolve.

Its true - he is indeed vulgar, coarse, ignorant braggart who has alienated so many of their favourite interest groups - but in a democratic vote he won.

The anti-Trump street protests are idiotic - angry they may be but do they really think their interests are best served by over-turning the democratic process? Now that's what I call ignorant.

Depends on how one defines "democratic". Clinton won the popular vote, so "democratically" she won, just as Gore did in 2000. But that's not how we elect our presidents. Not that it matters in practical terms. But it is important to remember that half the country voted for her. We are split right down the middle.

. He has also expressed admiration for strongmen such as Russian President Vladimir Putin, with whom he has promised to forge a closer relationship based on mutual respect.

I can't help thinking of just what happened. I mean is there a possibility that it didn't really happen ? How could so many intelligent and informed people be so wrong ? OK in the scenes of smoke and mirrors it looks undeniable but what if his ole buddy Vlad in the Kremlin and his hacker boys somehow fixed the election machines ?
Now I am not saying they did but it is an outside possibility. Just in the key states would be enough to tip the balance. Perhaps the Coney island man would like to have a look or maybe not unless he is paid enough. Politics is a dirty business as everyone knows. The machines are probably antiquated too and able to be fixed.

Just a thought guys but no proof I regret to say. The conspiracy theorists could run with this one and Hillary might yet win.

If this is of interest to you, read up on the voter suppression tactics that Republicans have instituted over the years (the half-mile long line in Cincinnatti, for example). But four years from now, we'll do it all again, the same way. It can be maddening, if one lets it get to him.

Edit: if you're interested, the Huffington Post, which may have been the most wrong among the wrong, provided a mea culpa this morning: Why HuffPost’s Presidential Forecast Didn’t See A Donald Trump Win Coming. But a more important question, perhaps, is why we care so much. Do the research and vote. What difference does it make what polls say? Because one finds comfort in a group?

I find reality to be a much better indicator of what's happening and what's likely to happen. Europe has its own issues: England, France, Spain, Austria, Scandinavia et al. Perhaps what has happened here will encourage more people over there to pay closer attention and avoid complacency.

Last edited:
Depends on how one defines "democratic". Clinton won the popular vote, so "democratically" she won, just as Gore did in 2000. But that's not how we elect our presidents. Not that it matters in practical terms. But it is important to remember that half the country voted for her. We are split right down the middle.

Maybe there was a majority of votes cast by the electorate in favour of Hillary Clinton: it doesn't matter now. The democratic decision had already been taken that the Electoral College system elects the President. Now is the wrong time for protesters to be crying foul over the system they were happy with when they were ahead in the polls.

By all means, protest, but protest things which should be put right, not a system everyone agreed was acceptable pre-election day.

Maybe there was a majority of votes cast by the electorate in favour of Hillary Clinton: it doesn't matter now. The democratic decision had already been taken that the Electoral College system elects the President. Now is the wrong time for protesters to be crying foul over the system they were happy with when they were ahead in the polls.

By all means, protest, but protest things which should be put right, not a system everyone agreed was acceptable pre-election day.

Errrmmm.... that's a little rich. Democracy means we are free to protest anytime we want. No right or wrong time.

What sticks in my throat is Trump's pre-election protests about the rigged system and how it would 'only' be fair if he won? :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Just another lie to wash away.

I reckon we should definitely hold him to account for his pre-election promises. I'm starting off with new jobs count watch for Ohio. :!:

Actually, few people agreed. Part of the problem is that the winners have little motivation to change it and the losers are not in a position to do so. There is also the matter of amending the Constitution, which we needn't go in to.

But we've been through this before, particularly in the sixties, and we'll go through it again. Age gives one a particular perspective, as I believe you know.

Errrmmm.... that's a little rich. Democracy means we are free to protest anytime we want. No right or wrong time.

Not a little rich at all. It is rich of the Democrats who piously criticised Trump before the election for criticising the electoral system, but now they wear the same coat.

Protest yes, but in order to gain decisions that should be enacted, i.e. protest with intelligence and integrity. Can these people in the streets seriously think democracy is served by overturning a decision because they don't like the result they just got?

Actually, few people agreed. Part of the problem is that the winners have little motivation to change it and the losers are not in a position to do so. There is also the matter of amending the Constitution, which we needn't go in to.

But we've been through this before, particularly in the sixties, and we'll go through it again. Age gives one a particular perspective, as I believe you know.

I think the final whistle in this game has gone so its too late now to change the rules. Maybe Hillary had more time of possession, but it was Trump who got the points.

I think the final whistle in this game has gone so its too late now to change the rules. Maybe Hillary had more time of possession, but it was Trump who got the points.

Depends on how one defines "points". No one should be surprised by the reactions to close elections. Brexit provides an excellent example.

Depends on how one defines "points".
Clinton: 228. Trump: 279. That was easy, next question!
:p

No one should be surprised by the reactions to close elections. Brexit provides an excellent example.
Brexit isn't really comparable because we voted to leave a broken system we didn't like, that showed no interest or willingness to change and would only go from bad to worse as time went by. By contrast, no one knows what to expect from Trump. Politically, he's unknown and has no form. If his term in office is a total disaster - however one might define that - then it may serve as a salutary lesson for all Americans (and the rest of the world) in future elections. Obviously, that's what the democrats will hope for, so that they will be re-elected with a landslide victory next time. It could be argued that the greater danger is that Trump actually makes a half decent job of it, thereby reinforcing the idea that voting for 'extreme' candidates with unsavory views and attitudes is a good idea.
Tim.

Not a little rich at all. It is rich of the Democrats who piously criticised Trump before the election for criticising the electoral system, but now they wear the same coat.

Protest yes, but in order to gain decisions that should be enacted, i.e. protest with intelligence and integrity. Can these people in the streets seriously think democracy is served by overturning a decision because they don't like the result they just got?

Goodness gracious Mr T,

We have had one of the most vulgar and most sickening of a narcissistic man run for the most powerful position in the World using language that makes me look good.

Here we have a few protesters demonstrating venting some frustrations and sadness at what has come to be and you are on your high horse about how you perceive democracy should be?

On the other hand we have the Brexit vote where any comment or opinion expressed is mocked as moaning. These are labels coming from the Eurosceptics who've been moaning for the last 40+ years.

I think people who dish it should be able to take it.

Protesting by the way is not the same as over turning the vote. So no worries. Let the people express and vent some emotion.

I dread to think along with the black population the hispanic pops will become target practice for the police for simply running away from them.

Have a smoke and chill old bean. Let the peeps have their shout. (y)

Last edited:
You really know nothing about transgender issues, do you?

So when your government care more about minority group non issues...then you know for certain they have lost the plot and need to be ousted.

America has chosen to reprioritize. It has a chance now to deal with it's real issues. Economy and jobs.

"minority group non issues" are also known as civil rights. that ranks right up there with jobs, imo

(i don't mean to pick on you c_v)

Clinton: 228. Trump: 279. That was easy, next question!

Electoral points, yes. Popular vote points, no.

Brexit isn't really comparable because we voted to leave a broken system we didn't like, that showed no interest or willingness to change and would only go from bad to worse as time went by.

All of which is your opinion, and that's fine. I'm not British and I don't live there so I've avoided commenting on Brexit. But the outcome was unanticipated by many, the vote was close, and a lot of people aren't happy about it, so the comparisons are worth making.

So when your government care more about minority group non issues...then you know for certain they have lost the plot and need to be ousted.

America has chosen to reprioritize. It has a chance now to deal with it's real issues. Economy and jobs.

Democracy operates according to the will of the majority while protecting the rights of the minority. It's not up to the majority to decide for the minority what are or are not "non-issues". Your own history should tell you that.

As for the "real issues" here, they have more to do with inequity than with its consequences. We can futz with the symptoms from now till the Second Coming, but unless and until we address the causes, it will all be for nought.

the vote wasn't "for" trump it was against the dysfunctional political deadlock we've had for yrs. it was "just throw a minkey wrench into machinery and break it. hopefully when they fix it i'll be better off' vote.

trump is that minkey wrench. thats a dangerous way to place your vote, imo

The monkey wrench as you call it was necessary. The current situation was and is a cancer. It was a choice between dying a slow death with convention treatment (Status Quo - Clinton) or the experimental new drug, which might help (Trump). Choosing the experimental drug might actually cure you or it might kill you quicker. However, I for one, think a slow painful death is much worse. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. The status quo is not working. You must change something.