new version of Zonealarm

CUDDLES

Hi folks, I don't know why , but ever since I updated Zonealarms (been it using for years and it's really good) recently, I can not access my yahoo mail box , yahoo news or google! If I turn the firewall off then I can.

I removed Zonealarms and reloaded it , but his did not change anything. I wonder if anyone maybe able to solve this puzzle? Thanks
Cuddles :)

Interesting. I have been experiencing the same thing with my Sygate firewall and Hotmail and a few other e-mail sites. I recently setup a Netgear modem/router, which has it's own firewall and it seems some sort of interaction between these two firewalls causes a problem with the e-mail sites, as if I disable one of the firewalls the problem clears immediately.
Most browsing is fine, so far the problem seems localized to e-mail, have no idea why.

Paul - thanks your idea worked, I just posed the question on the Zonealarm forum and got the solution straight away.
roguetrader - I guess you could possibly see if Sygate has a forum that may help you out.
:)

It seems sensible to use something "non-microsoft" to protect microsoft.

The security guys always build onion models of security so they would start with NAT and the outside router then they might have a context sensitive firewall then they might have .... etc etc. Each layer reasonably seperate from the others so that breaking one bit doesnt kill the other bits.

Regarding the mail problem you might try going to E-mail Protection and turning it OFF.
That might work.

Here's the solution kindly provided by one of the guru's from the Zonealarm forum:

"You will need to reset your database. Apparently some Pro features are enabled when they shouldn't be. You will lose all your customizations in ZoneAlarm."

1. Go into the Overview Preferences tab and turn off "Load ZoneAlarm at startup".
2. Reboot into safe mode.
3. Go into the folder named internet logs {I was concerned about deleting this, so I made a copy just in case}.
4. Delete everything in that folder.
5. Empty the recycle bin.
6. Reboot into normal windows.
7. Restart ZA manually.
8. Recheck the "Load ZoneAlarm at startup".