Networking Two Computers

breadman

Established member
I require some help finding the cheapest way to network two computers. BT will do it for £120.00, does anyone know where I can get the equipment cheaper. The computers will be in different rooms so it needs to be wireless.

Thanks,

Breadman

just get a buffaloo wireless router and a single PC card - should be less than 120 (but not much more less!)

What if you just want to hook up 2 computers to 1 adsl connection - no need to be networked and no need to be wireless? What's the cheapest way to do that?

Otherwise if you just have 2 computers you can just buy an ethernet card for each, run the ADSL connection into one and enable internet sharing in windows. The second PC can then access the firsts IP connection.
This is the cheapest way as you only then need 2 ethernet cards and a cable. less than £30 should cover it.

jimvt said:
What if you just want to hook up 2 computers to 1 adsl connection - no need to be networked and no need to be wireless? What's the cheapest way to do that?

Buy a multi port adsl modem router for 40 ish quid, maybe less.

Thanks TW and RT.

Next question - how is bandwidth allocated between each computer?

What I may be doing next year is running a new dedicated trading pc alonside my existing multi-monitor pc which will run charting/t2w/tetris etc.

Is there a way I can allocate a minimum bandwidth to the trading pc and leave whatever's left to the other? Or maybe it's not even necessary to do this....?

I think it is not necessary. Providing you have a decent broadband connection it will be fine. If there is any probllem then just try and change either to a higher bandwidth or reduced contention ratio.

Not sure on that one, I would imagine it was a straight allocate on demand affair and shouldn't be that much of an issue. Trading is not really bandwidth intensive.

I'm experiencing a similar problem with 2PCs on a router. MS Networks wizard on XP home can't seem to find the workgroup.
Could be the router blocking the connection..any ideas anyone??

If it can be networked, a router will only cost around £30-£40

C

roguetrader said:
D you just want to share an internet connection or do you need both computers networked.

Roguetrader,

I just want to share a broadband internet connection.

Thanks,

Breadman

All good and sound advice. Avoid paying BT at all costs though - called up tech support at BT about my broadband connection recently. Had to explain to the "tech support" what a router was. What a joke...

You'll need a wireles router fo what you have described. One with adsl or ethernet ports as appropriate will allow you to connect one computer direct to it and run the other wireless, I guessing for around £80ish maybe less now if you shop around.

ewilcox said:
All good and sound advice. Avoid paying BT at all costs though - called up tech support at BT about my broadband connection recently. Had to explain to the "tech support" what a router was. What a joke...

ROFL :LOL:

cd173, check that the workgroup name for both pc's is the same, if no joy try referencing the computer by IP address instead of name, thirdly check firewall settings. Good luck.

Cheers Money_magnet1

I can ping all pc's but the workgroup wont let me access them.
I also thought it would be a doddle to coonect 2 PCs with a crossover cable in XP, but I was sorely mistaken!

C

I am looking to share one broadband connection with two computers but I do not want to connect the computers to each other.

I have just spoken to BT and they have recommended I get a homeportal which is a one box solution £104.99 and a BT voyager 1040 PCI adaptor £29.99. BT get's the home portal from a company called 2wire, the website is www.2wire.com. They reckon this is the best for what I want to do. They also said the second computer would not need any internet security as the homeportal has an inbuilt business firewall, is this correct.

Thanks,

Breadman

That looks like a cool piece of kit, unfortunately I am not tech savy enough to tell you if its any good or not. My limited knowledge says it will likely do your job just fine, but I am inclined to think that if you approach a PC shop and explain exactly what you want to do they will provide a much cheaper solution. I myself will be looking into routers today with a view to connecting a second PC to my connection, although both computers will be in the same room so they will likely be hard wired. My thoughts are that that is a little expensive for the simple task of hooking 2 PC's into one internet connection.

Hopefully some of the tech experts on the board will have some input.