Networking Two Computers

I'm using the BT Voyager 2000 wireless router, a D link card in the back of my PC and a Lucent technologies card in my laptop. This enables me to access the net from either computer from anywhere in the house (and garden with the laptop), print to the same printer from either, and to select which files/folders I want to share between the computers. It took my son all of 10 mins to set this up on XP Pro on each PC.

roguetrader said:
BlueChip are you using this and is it as simple to setup as it appears?

roguetrader,

Yes, I am using a wireless version with 3 PCs and a laptop, all using xp pro. I found it extremely easy to setup and benefit from facilities as described by RogerM.

breadman said:
I require some help finding the cheapest way to network two computers. BT will do it for £120.00, does anyone know where I can get the equipment cheaper. The computers will be in different rooms so it needs to be wireless.

Thanks,

Breadman

breadman,

This cheapest way to do this is by using two 11Mbit Wireless network cards (802.11B). You can buy them from sellers (with high feedback) on Ebay for around £15 each.

Insert one into each PC in a PCI slot , install the driver CD etc and then create a home/office connection in XP. The PC with the broadband connection will then allow the 'slave' PC to share it's internet .

Assuming 11mbit transfer speed between the two machines is enough for you. It should be plenty, although you could buy two 54Mbit (802.11B) cards for a little more.

Obviously to use this solution the PC with the broadband connection needs to be on whilst using internet on the 'slave' machine.

I hope this helps.

If you are using a provider like wanadoo, who want you to purchase their wireless package, how do you get all the information that you need to configure your own router modem, ie; the VPI and VCI settings, Modulation, Protocol, i.e. PPPoA or PPPoE, and the encapulation.

breadman said:
I require some help finding the cheapest way to network two computers. BT will do it for £120.00, does anyone know where I can get the equipment cheaper. The computers will be in different rooms so it needs to be wireless.

Thanks,

Breadman

PC World have a sale on from Boxing Day to 27 December and are selling a Netgear 54Mbps Wireless ADSL Firewall router 4-port for half price (£45). I bought one this morning (for some reason I got the sale price 2 days early, but I'm not complaining).