Networking Question

ColinRiche

284 3
I'm currently running a network of win98 machines using a sygate DCHP proxy server.

I'm looking to add a laptop running Win XP will i need the Pro version or Home version
or doesn't it matter ?

awoodj

142 0
The difference XP home and pro

The main difference is the home version can't join a Windows Domain, this would only apply if you were running Windows 2000/2003 (or old NT4) server. Otherwise for pier to pier it should not matter and hence i would go for the home version as it is cheaper.

ColinRiche

284 3
That was easy, just plug-in and go.

Now i would like to have the option to make the XP home Laptop the Net Server

XP whats me to use a floppy disk to distribute the network system files and settings or use an XP disk

The laptop doesn't have a floppy drive and i dont have an XP disk as it was pre-installed
and it doesn't give me the option to write to CD neither.

How do i proceed ?

and is there a maximum of machines that can be networked with XP home to the net ?

DaveJB

Experienced member
1,159 42
I'd guess you have two options here, there may be others:-
1) Buy a USB floppy drive
2) Complain bitterly to whoever flogged you the laptop, I always insist on a Windows CD being supplied - I'll pay extra for it if I have to (and if it's still a bargain)... not having a Windows CD leaves you hostage to all sorts of horror.
For (1) an example is at http://www.simply.co.uk/productinformation/73024/WW/IOMEGA_EXTERNAL_FLOPPY_DRIVE/index.htm
for a shade under £25, there are others of course.
Dave

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock