my journal

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) The sniper system has therefore been abandoned and replaced by the S/R system (the one above). 2) The automated systems continue their forward testing (no trading because they don't have enough money, thanks to today's mess with the CL, which cost me 3000). 3) The diversified system is good also, but I can't trade it because it would require about 20k, but it's the one performing best. It applies S/R plus time of the day statistics. If #3 keeps showing me profits every day, and #1 starts being profitable and at the same time keeps me busy (I got the boredom problem, which trading solves), I'll be quite happy, and not mind any losses, since that's how I've kept learning all this time.

Tonight's "diversified" trades went wrong for the majority but I made money overall because one third of them made money, and the risk/reward was 1 to 3. So I lost 1+1 and I made 3.

More thinking on my micro-trading.

one_third_and_half.jpg

In a downtrend, you'd only be using one third of the moves. Because the breakout part is not being used. The retesting upward move is not being used (since it'd be against the trend). You're only using the part where it goes from the previous support that now has become resistance to the new support. So that's 33% of the move. The same happens for the upward trend.

Trend which, rather than being filtered, should be identified as higher highs and higher lows (with legs about 10 ticks long) and viceversa for the downtrend. No need for using the hourly candles, so we avoid using an extra chart.

In a range, at the bottom of the downtrend (for example), we're expecting (for example) most likely a rise at this point, so we will only play the 50% part of the move that goes up.

Importantly, the last leg down of the downtrend is - we don't know it when we trade it - the first leg down of the range to come. This shows how not playing the breakout prevents us from losing in all situations in which a trend turns into a range, which is quite often.

Now it all comes down to seeing if I can apply this at an hourly level on an intraday chart, because if I can do this on a different timeframe, then I am all done.

Today they fooled me and took 3000 from me, but usually support and resistance work well, especially because they don't pull these stunts on every intraday level, but maybe only once a month on the major ones, levels that lasted for weeks.

[...]

It works. The same thing, more or less, happens on an hourly level and so on. As seiden said, s/r works on all timeframes.

So this means for my "diversified" system that I'll do as follows.

1) set up the hourly candles
2) during the day, only trade the 33% moves described at length for the 1 minute GBP candles
3) during the night, trade any tipe of reversal (in any direction) because at night that's what you get: reversals. On the other hand, if you get a reversal at night and during the day you have trend continuation (as my stats show), then I should place the stoploss accordingly (for a short trade, slightly above the previous high).

Believe it or not, after losing for 12 years, I had never really given support/resistance a chance: simply because everyone was talking about it, I assumed it was crap. Just like everyone talks about paris hilton. I've gotten used to thinking that if everyone talks about something it's crap. And so I had excluded the three things that work the most: trend, s/r, stoploss. I wasn't using any one of them.

Last edited:
In his videos seiden kept mentioning "we have to sell to the novice", "you have to keep in mind who you are selling to", "you have to take the other side of the worst trades being made", and I kept thinking that it was useless reasoning in reverse terms, like it would be to walk on my hands, or ride my bicycle with my hands crossed, but instead of thinking he's an idiot (I did, actually), I said: he comes from the trading floor of the CME so to him trading is not just a bunch of candles like for me. Yet, in my subconscious, his talk got me thinking about why prices move and made me reach a conclusion.

Take a short trade made during a downtrend. Price turns around at resistance because there's a bunch of profitable traders who agree on where it should turn, so they all go short, and that's what makes s/r work. Then, the power of these few profitable traders focused on that instant (those two-three ticks, the moment prices turn), exhausts a few (tick) levels of "demand", as seiden calls it, and produces the turning around of price. All the people who act after that moment are bad traders, whether they are selling and going short (like the profitable traders), or whether (even worse) they are buying. Even those guys going short are late, and the later they are the more their risk/reward ratio worsens (according to s/r, stoploss and takeprofit will always be at the same place, but the later you are the closer you'll be to takeprofit and the further from the stoploss: and for every trade you have fixed costs). These guys who are late did not trade according to s/r, or didn't appraise it correctly. Of course, maybe they didn't even care because their trade will last 5 days, but if they were trying to make money in the very short term, they didn't do it right. Maybe they were following some moving average crossover like I've been doing.

So my task in the next few days will be to appraise correctly not where s/r should be, not where books say it should be, but where the majority of traders, or rather, where the traders who create those levels (by moving price) think it should be.

Last edited:
Some charts go from downtrend to uptrend, while others have a period of range.

Another thing: the diagonal trendlines are usually first drawn when the previous range support (in a down trend) gets tested (as it became resistance). I don't have time to draw it but basically diagonal trendlines are ok. You can draw them and you can use them, except their slope is usually decided by how... all right, it's all clear. I hope I'll remember this. I'll explain it better when it's clearer and when I have time.

Here's a quick drawing of what I mea. It's hard to think in these terms, but both diagonal and horizontal trendlines have to be taken into account.

Snap1.jpg

Of course I am always trying to simplify things, and that is why I never liked these trendlines. Actually, I am trying hard to figure them out but I now remember why I always get pissed off and feel like throwing them away. Because you got all these lines that cannot be drawn in a univocal way... and do not have a univocal timeframe. It's a whole mess. I am again close to throwing everything away.

Maybe I'll just allow myself to draw two lines, the most important ones, whether diagonal or horizontal and only make trades according to 2 lines at any time.

Another thing that bothers me is the multiple timeframes, I don't like the idea of having to check the same security on three different timeframe and look at the trendlines. But then again that's why I don't make money maybe. Because the market doesn't care about pleasing me. It doesn't adapt to me in any way.

All this is solved properly by automated systems, of course backtested, that work. But their drawdown is big so I can't use them. Otherwise obviously I would have just focused on those (which I didn't when I could).

Last edited:
This is worse than any videogame. I feel like quitting any time... it's the lousiest video game i've ever played.

I was thinking that I'd use a moving average when there's trend and s/r when there's a range... just an idea. Overall I am tired, I woke up early because the maid was making noise and now I am pretty upset and maybe that's why I feel like quitting. But for one reason or another I am always upset and I am always quitting. I try a strategy, it either doesn't work or it's too boring, and I quit it. That's why I am hanging on to automated trading like to a religion, because it's the only thing that ever worked for me, since I am not the one doing it. But, each morning, now for 6 months, I turn it on and each night I turn it off, do all the backups... whether i am in a coma or not.

What really bothers me and keeps me from developing a discretionary edge is the irregularity, asymmetry, and unpredictability of the markets. If you play a flight simulator, even the combat flight simulators, you get an outcome for everything you do. You are in control. It takes you a while but eventually you learn. Here it's different.

Last edited:
If only I could place several bets during the day, it would all become very very predictable and regular. But I can't because i don't have the margin. If I had 100k, I could place - based on the hourly chart - bets, with stoplosses, on every major liquid future I have on my list (about 8 of them). I think I could eventually end every day as profitable. This would be a major turning point. But i cannot do this, except in simulation. I believe after all that the best chart is the hourly chart, and still using support and resistance. I do not have what it takes, once and for all, to play the video game of the 1 minute chart. I like video games but this video game is too hard to learn. The 1 minute candlestick chart is too hard for me.

Here's what I'll do.

**** the 1 minute, **** the 15 minutes, **** the ****ing diaz brokers.

I'll remember support and resistance only as far as the hourly charts.

I'll keep on placing bets according to the "diversified" strategy, the one I mentioned in previous posts, with trades that last several hours, which is also a strategy that takes advantage of what I learned with my automated trading (and backtesting of course).

I mean... I don't know why but this strategy always makes money, whereas the supposedly surgical precision of the s/r strategy on the GBP keeps me busy for hours, makes me lose my eyesight, and if I'm lucky returns 50 dollars (yes, the leverage is different: for one strategy i need 20k for the other one I only need 2k).

For example, a few minutes ago I opened my 8 trades according to the diversified strategy and here they are (the GBL lost 70 euros and the trade was closed):

Snap2.jpg

Then, when I'll see an awesome bet on the GBP or on the EUR (the only two futures I can afford, among the futures that move, because the GBL and the ZN are no good right now), I'll go ahead and place it with real money (I did, just now, on the GBP). But only when it's a really good bet, and with a stoploss (except this time I didn't use it because I can't afford to lose to any false breakouts like yesterday on the CL).

Ok, once again: no more 1 minute candles. Just 1 hour candles, and this means that I'll trade for about 20 minutes a day. For the rest of the time, I'll have to find something else to do.

I know there's spreadbetting companies, like the ones advertised on this forum, that allow you to bet a few dollars on every future I am trading, but the problem is that first of all it's complicated (opening another account and all the other stuff), and second of all, much of my strategy relies on charting and takeprofits and stoplosses capabilities of TWS, which are certainly not available with these companies. Also, I don't trust them. I read bad things about them (like that they don't want customers who are profitable).

Last edited:
Another thing I am wondering is: can you become profitable while leading a very unhealthy life like mine? I think it'd be best if I turned profitable while leading an unhealthy life, because otherwise my profitability might not last through hard times. I want to stay unhealthy and become profitable while being unhealthy. By unhealthy I mean that I didn't get out of my house for the past 2 weeks, and didn't even care to. I mean that people bother me, and that i turned down every invitation to do something. Basically it's called "being antisocial". It's not my problem, I don't see it as a problem. I am surrounded by dislikable people. I'd rather be alone than having to hang out with them.

Travis,

You are very unbalanced mentally (OCD) and correcting this needs to occur before you can trade profitably. You have an obsessive personality - high brain dopamine (energy, drive, paranoia) and low serotonin (perfectionism, addictions, obsesssions, antisocial behaviour). OCD is a serious disorder and has a strong genetic biological basis (father?). Trading will make this unbalance worse not better. Your journal is an expression of this unbalance: incredible amounts of energy expended, an obsession with edges and no progress.

I think you should stop trading and work on becoming more balanced.
A multi-pronged approach including possible medication, behavior modification and spiritual work is necessary. You need to rebalance your brain chemistry either with drugs or through behaviour change. And you can not exit this vicious cycle the way you think you can because you are a control freak.
I suffer from similar issues and reading your journal for me is like a recovering alcoholic sniffing alcohol. You got a long way to go....

Ok, I need a healthier lifestyle, but not pills

Very powerful and concise post as usual.

I hope you are wrong, even though everything you said sounds familiar to me. You've interpreted coherently everything I do, but I don't know if that's the right interpretation. On the other hand, the unhealthy life is there, and the 12 years of unprofitable trading are there as well. All mental problems you mention are there as well, but I don't see them as things to fix, nor requiring medication. Yes, the life is unhealthy, but if I could live at my house by the beach and not have to work, I'd immediately turn healthy. I believe the unhealthiness is caused by the environment and not by my mind. I haven't been always like this. I'm like this because my environment and work situation do not offer me anything good. And yes, all problems come directly from my dad (and my mom, who was sick enough to marry him).

I want to become profitable as unbalanced as I am, because in the future I may become unbalanced again and I don't want to lose all my money because I suddenly turned in a bad mood. My financial balance cannot rely on my emotional and mental balance. So I want to make sure I can be profitable even like this. My profitability cannot depend on my mood swings or similar.

But yes, something has to change. Yes, you're right. Something major has to change. But no way, I am not going to take any medications nor see any psychiatrist. But yes, something has to change. And it's not my edge. It's in my behaviour. The edge is there. I do have some edge, one way or another.

The question is: why do I find it boring? Why is my edge boring? Because I do nothing all day. You should just advise me to get out and find distractions from trading. Pills are not necessary. I cannot resort to trading as the only source of entertainment and satisfaction: actually I should not view it this way at all. That's why I keep on screwing up: because I ask trading for things it cannot give me. Yes, the money it can give me would change my life, but in itself trading cannot fill your day. Each time I trade is like asking the markets: give me some happiness. That's why I am obsessed with high returns, because I have no other source of happiness.

So after all, yes, I do have to lead a healthy life. Yup. Gotta take care of that. At least, I gotta watch tv. That's the least I can do. And walk a little bit around the house. Remove the laptop from my stomach. A few changes...

Last edited:
Regardless of whether I am "mental" or not, I will keep on trading the automated systems and the "diversified" method, because those two things work, even in my unstable mental state... so it means they're really really good. If something is profitable even with my mental state, it means it's really stable.

What I retained from these last few highly "mental" weeks is douglas and the stoploss (the concept of risk), the seiden videos and their concept of support/resistance: both are a good thing, and will help my discretionary "diversified" method. I did not learn to use s/r on the 1 minute chart: I am too mental for that. Also, I retained the great possibilities given by the Chart Trader function within TWS. It could give you great speed, even though I don't need it, but I will use the advantage of being able to place your stoploss and takeprofit in a graphical manner straight from the chart.

Not all my energies were wasted as you said. Yes it is true, as you imply, that my excessive energies (while giving me a decent understanding of the markets) are the cause of my 12 year long unprofitability.

But my knowledge of the markets, the brokers, the software, is all there, ready to be used, and one day I will turn profitable hopefully, maybe once I'll have a healthier lifestyle, which I thought I couldn't have until I turned profitable and quit my job, but I am going to have to reverse the order of things. If anything, that was the vicious circle right there: I thought I had to first make money and then quit my job and be able to be healthy, but I cannot make money unless I am healthy, because by being unhealthy I do nothing but trade all day, have no other sources of satisfaction, and as a consequence I overtrade.

Last edited:
I hope you are wrong, even though everything you said sounds familiar to me. You've interpreted coherently everything I do, but I don't know if that's the right interpretation. On the other hand, the unhealthy life is there, and the 12 years of unprofitable trading are there as well. All mental problems you mention are there as well, but I don't see them as things to fix, nor requiring medication. Yes, the life is unhealthy, but if I could live at my house by the beach and not have to work, I'd immediately turn healthy. I believe the unhealthiness is caused by the environment and not by my mind. I haven't been always like this. I'm like this because my environment and work situation do not offer me anything good. And yes, all problems come directly from my dad (and my mom, who was sick enough to marry him).

I want to become profitable as unbalanced as I am, because in the future I may become unbalanced again and I don't want to lose all my money because I suddenly turned in a bad mood. My financial balance cannot rely on my emotional and mental balance. So I want to make sure I can be profitable even like this. My profitability cannot depend on my mood swings or similar.

But yes, something has to change. Yes, you're right. Something major has to change. But no way, I am not going to take any medications nor see any psychiatrist.

Living at the beach would not make you healthy its just that by changing the environment to a stress free one the unbalance would not show. But thats not what you want, you are addicted to the stress/high that trading gives you thats why you trade and not for the money. So trading has served you well for 12 yrs. There is no need to change. Your desire for change is what you desire.
Your father is not to blame and neither is your father's father.

Your last paragraph is the best.... an expression of the control freaks nightmare.
Your need for control is absolute. Your financial balance can only rely on your health and emotional control and not on your obsession with control.

All the best

Thanks for the very thoughtful feedback, even though I hope my problem is not as bad as you describe it. I am the many things you say, but I am also other things, positive ones.

Looking at support and resistance at a 1 minute level means you have to constantly add support and resistance levels and the whole thing for just small profits of 10 ticks. A lot of work for little reward. Work that includes monitoring other levels of support and resistance, because you can't just get rid of them. You cannot ignore those other levels, for larger timeframes. So with the 1 minute candles not only do you have to constantly identify new intraday levels of s/r but you also have to find the levels on the hourly candles, and on the daily candles. Way too much work for me.

If you instead only monitor the hourly candles, say... one month of hourly candles, all you have to do is look at that one chart, maybe magnify it with the less for the exact entrance, maybe even change timeframe for more precision, but you basically go from the big picture to the smaller picture and this all still makes sense and is understandable. Besides, when you go for the bigger moves, such as 20 to 100 ticks moves, you can take advantage of the "time of the day" variable. Yes, because price does different things depending on what time it is during the day. There's moments for retracements and there's moments for reversals. With S/R in mind you're always looking for a reversal, but time of the day on hourly charts helps you understand how big and how long will that reversal be. During the day, the reversal will last 2 hours at the most, and it will be a retracement of the trend (so you should go the other way, WITH the trend, after the retracement). At night (starting at 22 CET), the reversals will be much bigger and much longer (usually 12 hours), so you can safely bet on them. Obviously the same thing you can do at 10 AM when the trend resumes. It doesn't always happen, but that's the tendency.

If I look at the 1 minute candles, I go crazy and I don't make any money. If I look at the hourly candles, I can use both s/r and time of the day, make money, and don't have to work more than a few minutes per day. As a consequence, from now on, it will be "diversified" system on the hourly candles + automated systems. The good things I retain from the surgical trading (which didn't work and killed many patients) is the stoploss and a better feel for support and resistance, which work on every timeframe but require too much work and stress at a 1 minute level.

Two not excellent but ok movies related to trading. Both movies are from the same book, so it's interesting to see how they changed the book:
http://www.letmewatchthis.com/watch-23264-The-Last-Casino

This one had a much bigger budget and it's more shiny:
http://www.letmewatchthis.com/watch-42-21
http://www.codingthewheel.com/archives/21-and-the-monty-hall-paradox
http://montyhallproblem.com/
This monty hall thing (in the movie" 21") doesn't convince me at all...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Hall_problem

Last edited:

As long as the host always opens one of the doors and shows a goat. Because if he only does it when he cares to, then he could be tricking you in order to prevent you from winning the car.

I've been thinking about it for 10 minutes and I still don't get it. I would say that your probability goes from 1 out of 3, to... ok, I think I get it. The video above wasn't clear to me. I would explain it like this: you have two doors, their prob is 66% to have the car, so you should pick the collective 66% when you're given the opportunity. It's as if you were given the opportunity to choose two doors instead of one.

Last edited:
Well, I guess trading is less dangerous than card counting in Las Vegas.

Anyway, here's the "diversified" system present situation and development:

1) place bets on the hourly AND 15 minute chart and leave them open until they hit either order

A) at 22 CET bet on TREND REVERSAL

B) before 20 CET bet on TREND CONTINUATION (enter with daily trend, after correction)

...something like that: find a way to make it work

Typical overnight reversal (hourly chart at 22 CET) triggering a SHORT at around 22 CET:

Snap1.jpg

Typical intraday continuation after retracement (hourly chart at 22 CET, same chart as above) triggering a LONG at around 18 CET, entry circled in red:

Snap.jpg

Both of these trades have the same profit target (their entry points are the reciprocal profit targets), and a stoploss which is less than half the profit target.

If I can limit myself to making these trades, at 18 and at 22, on all markets, I should be able to stay profitable on a weekly basis. Some days will be red.

I closed yesterday's LONG on the GBP for a profit of a few hundreds (balance a bit over 3000).

I opened a LONG on the ZN. It looks like it will bounce up on this pretty good support (hourly chart):

Snap1.jpg

Besides, it's highly oversold on the daily chart:

Snap2.jpg

I am planning on keeping it open for at least 10 hours, until I make a profit from 300 to 1000. Stoploss? I didn't place one, but I guess it would be a bit lower than support. Only I don't want surprises like on the CL, where the stoploss got executed 40 ticks away on a false breakout and I lost 3000 for no reason.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.