my journal 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
back at work, doing nothing

Today is even worse than the usual lately: I was done with all work at 9.20.

Yet I will not go to the boss to complain about not having anything to do. I am going to enjoy this and keep on relaxing, after breaking my back for several years.

Needless to say, my work is not down to zero thanks to the ace - kaizen - "continuous improvement" dicks. It is almost down to zero because the kaizen dicks turned my statistics from modern excel statistics to stone age statistics, where instead of using pivot tables and automated charts, we use big sheets of paper glued to the walls. Our rooms are all full of these charts drawn by hand, on a daily basis. It is simply crazy. I refused to have in my room any of this paper charts or smilies on them in some cases.

I refused all these changes, so they - gladly for me - removed me from my positions and tasks.

Good. I would rather not do something at all, than to do something in an inefficient way, which is what they are doing now.

Now I'll go shopping. I just have to buy a new pair of shoes. It would be funny if I got fired because I went shopping after breaking my back for four years. It could happen. Remote change but it could happen.

Indeed, I am not allowed to leave the office building. It's like being in jail, temporarily. Obviously everyone does leave it still, but in theory we cannot do it, just like we cannot browse on the web.

So I could get fired for both things, especially because I've been criticizing ace and the boss for 4 months and telling them they suck and they've destroyed our office. So they could make me pay for doing something everyone does on a daily basis.

So maybe I will just limit it to web browsing and not buy those shoes after all. I'll make my mind in the next hour, depending on how bored I am.

I need to buy these... "venetian-style loafers", is what they are called in English ("mocassini" in Italian).

Those I have are still ok, and they look new, but they make a slight noise, on just one shoe, at the end of the step, when you're about to lift your foot from the ground, and press on the ground with your toe.

I am not cheap, but I feel it would be a waste to buy new shoes just because of a noise, so maybe I won't buy them out of wanting to save, rather than because I am not supposed to leave the office. On the other hand, this noise is embarassing. At least to me, in my imagination. Maybe the others can't hear it. Hmm, I don't know. There's only... two places when they could hear it at all: when I walk down the hallway and when I walk into that big room to bring the reports for them to process. But that's quite a bit of embarassment still.

Let's say that I will resist with the noise for another 10 days, and then, depending on the profit I made from the systems for this month, I will buy the new shoes or not. I don't want to overstretch myself either, financially.

Last edited:
Walt... d'Isigny

Fascinating stuff from wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Disney
Disney was born on December 5, 1901, at 2156 N. Tripp Avenue in Chicago's Hermosa community area to Irish-Canadian father Elias Disney and German-American mother Flora Call Disney .[4][5] His great-grandfather, Arundel Elias Disney, had emigrated from Gowran, County Kilkenny, Ireland where he was born in 1801. Arundel Disney was a descendant of Robert d'Isigny, a Frenchman who had travelled to England with William the Conqueror in 1066.[6] With the d'Isigny name anglicised as "Disney", the family settled in a village now known as Norton Disney, south of the city of Lincoln, in the county of Lincolnshire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isigny-sur-Mer
The Disney surname derives from the canton of Isigny. The earliest known ancestor of Walt Disney, with a similar name, was Jean-Christophe d'Isigny ("of Isigny"). "d'Isigny" was, over the generations, transformed into "Disney".

It all started when I was looking at this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miser

Then I got to this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrooge_McDuck

Then on to Walt Disney.

ace-kaizen, my boss, and getting screwed

Unbelievable, but statistically ok.

How many times can I get screwed this year? Probably not again in the near future. Because it's not normal to get screwed by your fellows so often.

Here's what happened.

A week ago, a friend from the management met me in the hallway and told me "oh, congratulations, I've heard that you've been transferred".

And I replied "what? who told you? that doesn't make any sense. You've got it all wrong". He said "rumors".

Well, it turns out he was right.

After breaking my back for 4 years for my office, who do they transfer, the boss and the ace-kaizen dicks? Me!

WIth all the slackers working at my office, today I was talking to another guy in my office, and he told me that it is true, and that, in one month, when we'll move to another building, nearby, in Rome, on that occasion, I will be switched from one office to another.

No wonder today the boss came to me and was trying to accuse me of some bull**** errors: he was trying to start a fight to motivate the fact that he's transferring me to another office, without even talking to me about it.

Pretty lame. This is how I get rewarded for:

1) breaking my back for 4 years
2) telling these idiots that their "continuous improvement" of our office was a lot of bull**** and they were just doing damage to us.

Yeah, that's right. For these last 4 or 5 months, I've kept telling them they were doing a messy job, and were just destroying my work. And I told them to go ahead and have me mop the floors instead of forcing me to be part of their bull**** farce.

I spoke the truth, I broke my back for 4 years, and they rewarded me by moving me to another office. And they feel so guilty about it, that they didn't even tell me. It's almost like getting whacked by the mob, where you best friend comes to you and then kills you.

The boss kept on coming to my office, up to yesterday, and told me, as his usual "is everything all right?". At the same time he was going ahead with screwing me and transferring me to another office.

This is really an amazing experience, worth remembering.

[...]

This experience is very depressing, while on the other hand the damage done to me is limited. I will just stay in another room, with just one person, pretty likable guy, too. Except for feeling that i've been stabbed in the back, i am not too bothered by switching from one idiot boss to another boss, who may be less of an idiot. Other things that do bother me is that I won't be in my office any longer and for a while I will be a newcomer and feel like a guest in the new office. That really sucks. The stabbing and being in a new office.

I really didn't deserve this. For not kissing up.

[...]

Oh, and last but not least, guess who will be working at the same office I will be moved to? Vito the Chimp. That's right.

I will be stuck in the same office as my worst enemy of 2010. Damn. Not in the same room, though. Thank god for that.

Well, as they say, "**** happens", and my odyssey goes on. An odyssey that should finally lead me back home, to my Ithaca, to my little island in the mediterranean, by way of Spain, France, Belgium, Luxembourg, the States, and another 10 different places and jobs. I just want to get home, where I was on my childhood vacations, without any school, any homework, any worries. I just want to be in the ocean, swimming, without any worries. On a permanent vacation.

[...]

But let me add one more thing. If those ace-kaizen guys, my boss and some of the butt-kissing colleagues I have are the good and efficient guys, then I want to be on the list of the bad guys, if possible as bad guy number one. Yes, please. I don't want to be on the same bull**** good guys list as those slackers and salary thieves. Yes, they're punishing because they know how much I despise them and because I would not accept their bull**** game, so they had to make a point and say that I am a bad guy, because otherwise everyone would have thought they were the bad guys, which is what I've kept saying all these months.

And now these worries are behind me, and I'll focus on my next movie, which i started yesterday and doesn't seem bad at all:
http://www.letmewatchthis.ch/watch-24155-Chuck-Buck

Last edited:
Chuck & Buck - masterpiece

Wow... excellent acting. I will now look on rotten tomatoes for the review I agree with.

BUT DON'T READ THIS BEFORE YOU WATCH THE MOVIE.

But first here's my reactions as the movie is ending:

Holy ****, shockingly, disgustingly, disturbingly, painfully and unexpectedly good. This is amazing. Understated masterpiece. This is not a movie, or at least it doesn't seem like one. This is about real life, real feelings... it's amazing. They don't seem like actors, you don't feel like you're watching a movie... it seems like you're watching real life. Like when I was watching taxi driver: de niro was travis, and travis was de niro. It didn't feel like de niro was an actor. That's when you know you're watching an excellent movie. It seems like a documentary.

In fact, he is gay:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_White_(scriptwriter)

And this is a masterpiece.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/chuck_and_buck/

I knew it! 85% at tomatometer. They definitely agree with me.

Here's the reviews I like:

Chuck & Buck might be the most perversely agreeable stalker picture ever made.

February 12, 2008 Full Review | Comment
David Edelstein
Slate
Top Critic

Possibly the most daring and honest drama about sexuality I've ever seen.

Lisa Alspector
Chicago Reader
Top Critic

That Chuck & Buck holds attention despite -- or partly due to -- its murky, troubling central conceit can be credited to execution that's stealthy and low-key throughout.

Dennis Harvey
Variety
Top Critic
"low-key", told you so.

Genuinely unsettling.

June 24, 2006 Full Review | Comment
Time Out
There you go - that's what I said.

It's certain to make almost everyone in the audience squirm, either out of embarrassment for the characters or because the situation hits too close to home...

June 15, 2002 Full Review | Comment
James Sanford
Kalamazoo Gazette
Disturbing review, but that adds value to it.

Chuck & Buck is a film which you can't quite get a fix on: it's a movie about child sex which is also as airy and sweetly likeable as anything you'll see this year.

December 2, 2002 Full Review | Comment
Edward Lawrenson
Sight and Sound
Another excellent review.

This is a movie about life, real life.

Creepy, funny, yet surprisingly affecting, Miguel Arteta's darkly comic drama pulls off a remarkable balancing act.

January 7, 2010 Full Review | Comment
Michael Dequina
TheMovieReport.com
Yeah, I thought, after the Good Girl, that Arteta sucked, but I was wrong.

I am going to stop here because I am going to agree with almost every review. It's just that you can't make a good movie with Aniston in it.

Last edited:
awake, upset

This rumor of me being transferred is upsetting me a lot. I can't sleep.

Tomorrow I'll go late. Despite everything, I still care about what other colleagues think of me, and it bothers me that I am not being appreciated for my work and my seriousness and dedication. I feel the boss is undermining my reputation and spreading resentment towards me, and the butt-kissing colleagues are following suit, according to the scapegoat mechanism. I never thought it'd apply to me, but in this case, for the first time at work, this thing is happening indeed.

Probably my boss is getting back at me for spreading the word that he and those other ace-kaizen guys are idiots. I guess I deserve it to some degree, or even to all degrees. How on earth did I expect to be immune from criticism?

How did I expect to be the only person who could say others are idiots and not be touched or criticised by anyone? Instead it happened big time. Despite the fact that there's little to criticize, so they're probably blowing things out of proportion, despite them being wrong, they're going ahead with criticizing me, mostly behind my back I suppose, mostly to please the boss I suppose, mostly in bad faith... all despicable behaviours, but I did exceed in disrespect towards the boss and those kaizen guys. I did exceed. They provoked me, but I exceeded in disrespecting them.

Now do I have the strength to stand the counter-criticism and backfire? Nope, I am not ready and I was not expecting it at all.

And I am quite paranoid about it, probably imagining half of the things that aren't even there.

It's now keeping me awake and it's driving me mad at work. It really drives me mad that an idiot of a boss is daring to criticize my work, without even knowing anything about it. He's wrong, he's clueless... and he dares to talk.

I cannot reason with stupid people, and he's a big idiot. Damn, what an idiot he is.

And the systems are losing money. My systems are losing money. Everything is going wrong.

I have turned into a perfectionist, which is good, but also into a paranoid hyper-critical person, who is so focused on perfection that doesn't tolerate other people's shortcomings. I am totally intolerant and they're now making me pay all at once for that. At the same time, I am totally paranoid, and so I am also imagining stuff that is not there.

And I can't quit my job.

My negativity is sometimes even making negative things happen, by rushing to conclusions that are still not there.

Once my aunt told me this story that she thought often applied to my thinking. A guy goes and wants to borrow a bike. Then on the way to his friend's house, he start thinking that his friend won't let him borrow the bicycle. Then, he keeps on ruminating, and when he gets there, instead of asking if he can borrow the bike, he says "screw you and your bicycle".

And yes, this is what i often do, especially with women. I'd often go there expecting to be rejected and will reject first, and... self-fulfilling prophecy.

Intelligence cannot conquer everything. It's not like I am so intelligent that I know everything there is to know in a bank anyway. And being more intelligent and hard-working and knowledgeable than average is not enough to entitle me to look down on the majority of my colleagues. Or rather, I got away with it for years, but occasionally, or rather... I was bound to clash with someone sooner or later and especially this time, when I stood up against all these bosses and told them they suck.

Oh, well, I will be missed, but also I will miss my little office, with my little tasks... I don't see any upcoming improvements in my office life. Let's hope to compensate with much happiness from trading.

Last edited:
boss engaging in discontinuous attitudes towards me

Crazy son of a bitch. Today I came late, at 11.15, and he actually did not say anything. Not only that -- he even was friendly, whereas yesterday he was mean.

Today he even went to the printer and brought me back some work I had printed. He goes out of his way to be kind to me, and at the same time he okayed my being transferred to another office. Sleazy son of a bitch.

As usual, I will be mistrusting, but I won't be the one to shoot first. I expect nothing good of humans, but I don't shoot first, ever. Because I know I am excessively mistrusting and sometimes someone will do something nice to me, so I am not going to shoot everyone approaching. Maybe even this guy is not meaning any harm. On the other hand, as far as I know now, he's a sleazy son of a bitch, because he's having me transferred to another office. Yet I won't shoot him.

It's like here. I don't place people on my ignore list thereby preventing them from posting here unless you keep on busting my balls for ten posts in a row.

pretty depressing days of a depressing year in a depressing century

Yesterday I found out that I'll be transferred.

The day before I had the office medical examination with two asshole doctors who treated me like I was in the army, and then told me all the things that are wrong with my health.

All week the systems have been losing money, plus some related unmentionable worries.

And then today the Pin Bar thread, very recently started, is about to surpass me in views.

Other than this, and some health concerns (worsening eyesight), other than everything wrong, everything else is fine.

Ok, I am home, after arguing with some more people, I am done with all work and stress for the day, and I will watch a movie.

The systems are finally making some money, or rather, all of them are losing, and there's one big win.

I am going to watch... I don't know what. I'll come back later to write what I watched.

I will get in the bath tub and watch a movie. That's perfect.

Only way to save my eyesight, because I can't bring my laptop in the bathtub. I'll be taking a lot of baths in the next few months, because my eyes are tired from all the work they've done in the past 2 months (new systems, and excessive work at the office).

You know what? I could even quit my job. That is how confident I am about the systems right now. But I won't. But simply I will relax, because I have really gotten to a point where I almost do not depend on the salary from work.

cedar rapids

Barely enjoyable and far from perfect, far from being a work of art, even further from being a masterpiece.

http://www.letmewatchthis.ch/watch-2408609-Cedar-Rapids

I will look for reviews I agree with and post them here:
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/cedar_rapids_2010/reviews/?sort=rotten

Norman Wilner - NOW Toronto
It's a reliable set-up for farce, but somehow Cedar Rapids never breaks free of its influences to establish its own rhythm.

Sarah Boslaugh - Playback:stl
... not nearly as funny or insightful as it thinks it is, but I will say this for Phil Johnston's script: it runs like clockwork right down to the crises which show up predictably at 30 and 60 minutes in.

Last edited:
a foreign affair (2003)

http://www.letmewatchthis.ch/watch-361440-A-Foreign-Affair

It wasn't bad. Given that it wasn't pretentious and didn't promise what it couldn't deliver, we could say it's a good movie. A lot of my judging movies depends on how much they seem to promise and how much they deliver. For this one the ratio was good, in that it delivered more than it promised.

Here's the only RT review, and somewhat I agree with it:
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/a-foreign-affair/

http://homepages.sover.net/~ozus/aforeignaffair.htm
"For those who are easily pleased."
Reviewed by Dennis Schwartz

First time director Helmut Schleppi helms, from a screenplay by Geert Heetebrij, this offbeat comedy/drama about two mismatched socially awkward bachelor twentysomething brothers, Jake and Josh Adams (Tim Blake Nelson & David Arquette), who wallow in misery when their overbearing loving mom dies and leaves them unfit to care for themselves on their vegetable farm somewhere in the Midwest. After trying to get household help via a series of cleaning ladies, they find themselves eating out of cans and growing irritable as they can't get anyone to keep house for them because they are slobs. The more aggressive and functioning older bro, Jake, arranges for an expensive two week "romance tour" of St. Petersburg, Russia, by accessing the website loveme.com (a real site), which offers a program for singles called "Foreign Affair." They're not looking for romance but actually one housekeeper to serve both of them, and are willing to sign a contract stipulating this arrangement for two years in exchange for helping the woman get a green card.

It all sounds like a silly sitcom premise, and never engaged me with the brothers' overblown plight. I never believed their situation for a single moment, and was not tickled by the obvious attempts at comedy drawn out of their inadequacies to communicate as they swoop down on their Russian prey by offering to buy them and place them into some kind of indentured servitude.

The always smiling tour guide and pitchman Ken, who met his Russian wife through this website offer, steers the brothers to meet the scores of Russian women at socials who are dying to meet these lonely Yanks; the unstable Josh and the business-like no-nonsense Jake inevitably conflict and end up going their separate ways to meet the ladies. Josh breaks free of his brother's hold and meets sexy Ana--which leads him to forget about the 'woman sought as a housekeeper' and he goes romancing with many of the ladies. The serious Jake has no luck tracking down the housekeeper of his dreams (all by the way, good-lookers). He gets sidetracked when a Brit journalist living in Russia, Angela Beck (Emily Mortimer), someone fluent in Russian, is shooting a documentary about the website. Angela gets involved with Jake as a translator and a love interest between them slowly grows. The witty lady tells the humorless but honest farmer: "Your biggest problem is that you're far too easily pleased." For those who are easily pleased, this also might be viewed as an acceptable indie romantic comedy.

Scheppi's direction is as clumsy as are the rube brothers on the trail of hot Russky women. He mixes in reality TV interviews with his fictionalized tale, but he does it so awkwardly that it breaks the film's comical mood. "A Foreign Affair" never amounts to much of anything, and the characters never become interesting. The main thing this flick has going for it, is its unique premise.

REVIEWED ON 1/18/2005 GRADE: C

Dennis Schwartz: "Ozus' World Movie Reviews"

© ALL RIGHTS RESERVED DENNIS SCHWARTZ

Last edited:
excellent

http://www.letmewatchthis.ch/watch-351001-The-Last-Shot

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/last_shot/reviews/

Jules Brenner
Filmcritic.com enlivened by a steady stream of contributing talents

Full Review | Comment | Original Score: 3.5/5

Eugene Novikov
Film Blather A very funny film at times, written with a sharp ear for absurdity and performed by some very talented people.

Full Review | Comment | Original Score: B-

James Verniere
Boston Herald Amiably cockeyed, well-cast ensemble comedy about Hollyweird.

Full Review | Comment | Original Score: 3/4

Richard Roeper
Ebert & Roeper
Top Critic
An affectionate satire of Hollywood's fringe players.

Todd Gilchrist
FilmStew.com
Baldwin's commitment to character is admirable and continues to set him apart from performers of his generation.

Steve Rhodes
Internet Reviews
A cute little picture.

Full Review | Comment | Original Score: 3/4

Last edited:
commercial vs artistic movies, movie vs film, etc.

I was just going to bed when I came up with a good distinction between a movie and a film, or better: a commercial movie vs an artistic movie.

The commercial movie aims at entertaining as many people as possible without worrying too much about saying something.

The work of art, the artistic movie, aims at saying something without worrying too much about entertaining nor about how many people will get its message.

Another one. The commercial movie wants to make money, whereas the artistic movie wants to be remembered.

In some cases the commercial movie is very distinguishable from the artistic film, whereas in other cases a movie can be both things, such as for many comedies. For example, Dumb and Dumber was both artistic and commercial at once.

I thought about this, because i have just finished watching a clearly commercial movie:
http://www.letmewatchthis.ch/watch-27796-Brooklyns-Finest

Which did have some message though, about temptation to do your job less than well in order to look after your own interest.

A perfect example of art instead this movie I watched recently:
http://www.letmewatchthis.ch/watch-24155-Chuck-Buck

I think you have been watching too much Debbie Does Dallas and thats why you can't sleep and your eyesights going:eek:

Teenage Paparazzo

Excellent fast-paced movie:
http://www.letmewatchthis.ch/watch-1936185-Teenage-Paparazzo

This Grenier's movie is as deep and philosophical as any movie on this subject can get. This Genier studied molecular biology and he is no idiot:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrian_Grenier#Early_life

Great ratings at rotten tomatoes as well:
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/teenage-paparazzi/

...an entertaining, surprisingly informative look at the relationship between celebrities and the paparazzi...

October 3, 2010 Full Review | Comment
David Nusair
Reel Film Reviews

Sometimes it gets heavy by how deep and philosophical it is. It's almost like a psychology or sociology or anthropology college course on mass media, fame... and that type of stuff.

It's a work of art by a hard-working person. Very well-made. The only thing I do not like about this movie is the the few songs it used, which suck - surprisingly, for something so well made.

It should be coupled with watching this other movie I recently watched:
http://www.letmewatchthis.ch/watch-2076-Paparazzi

Also, somewhat related to Heckler, which was also good, but not as deep and smooth and coherent and logical:
http://www.letmewatchthis.ch/watch-4783-Heckler

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teenage_paparazzo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrian_Grenier

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paparazzi
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Dolce_Vita#Episode_4

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tazio_Secchiaroli

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.