my journal 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
more pics by my friend

This guy is a real artist. He could make hell look beautiful. I didn't know I was surrounded by such beautiful things until he took all these pictures.

flag.jpg

faro.jpg

big_wave.jpg

seagull_wave.jpg

wave_wind.jpg

littichedda.jpg

stintino.jpg

stintino2.jpg

It's interesting how when I am on vacation, and surrounded by peaceful people, I am so relaxed that I can go back to sleep a countless number of times, and don't get upset for being woken up by the neighbours.

When instead I am on vacation with my dad or not on vacation, if I get woken up by him or the neighbours, I can't go back to sleep and stay pissed off the whole day at them. This means that when someone is relaxed some things go better. I already knew it but today this detail was confirmed. I got woken up about 15 times, and each time I went back to sleep, and finally woke up and got up at noon, perfectly rested.

problems with last guest

The last guest (of 3 highschool buddies, 2 already left) hasn't left yet. I mean, obviously, because we will leave this place together. He's causing me some stress because he's highly messy. It's not that he's disrespectful to me, but he's disrespectful to his own things, and to mine as well.

I am not happy at all with him. He's messy, dirty, doesn't wash dishes, doesn't wash the table, doesn't throw out trash... he lives like a hippie, and I have to take care of everything. He takes out the milk and doesn't put it back in the refrigerator... a whole list of other things. When things don't work out, like my wi-fi router, I am always wondering if it's because he mishandled them.

His disorder quickly spread over to the whole house, not just his room.

What can I do? Nothing much. I have to behave properly as a host. I can't make him become a different person than he is.

I could think twice about going on vacation with him next time. On the other hand, going on vacation by myself has just as many disadvantages, totally different ones. Maybe I could look for a tidy person to go on vacation with next time. Yeah, that's what I'll do.

Anyway, here in this house by the sea the problems also derive from my mom. She left a ton of things in the house, so much stuff that it can't be properly ordered. There's more stuff that can fit in the furniture. She even misplaced my battery recharger, without which I am now screwed because I can't use my cell phone (can't buy another one in the nearby village), she placed a machine to cut the grass under my bed, and she left boxes everywhere on the floor.

It's very frustrating to be surrounded by messy people. But other times it's just as frustrating to stay alone. Most of the time I'd rather be in control of what surrounds me than be with (messy) people, but sometimes I give up my order to be around (messy) people. This guy for example is likable otherwise. Probably the most intelligent person I've ever met, but as far as being orderly he shows a lot of stupidity.

Tonight I went on strike though. I said I will be eating by myself for the next few days. Number one because he's on a very crappy diet, and eating with him makes me fat despite all the swimming I've been doing, because we drink beer, eat a lot of meat, and so on. So I won't eat with them, and they'll have to wash all their own dishes and throw out all their own trash. I am tired of eating unhealthy and feeling exploited. Yeah, because they (him and his friend) appreciate my order and hard work, but don't move a finger to help me out. So screw them with their messiness. I will be inside my room or swimming and let them rot in their mess.

Last edited:
I might extend my vacation, because after my last careless guest will have left tomorrow morning, I will need a short vacation to rest from having him as a guest, him and his friend. I will never have a careless guest again. I am really fed up with washing his dishes while he plays guitar and cracks jokes at my expense with his non-invited ("I also invited... is that ok?", that's how he asked me) non-welcome female friend. Two careless people siding up against their host. Ridiculous. I will never have them again obviously. Next time they can rent a nearby house if they want to come. I was nice until the end because i didn't want to take advantage of my power as a host, but I also made sure to let him know that I wasn't happy with carelessness, and with his trashing of my house. Obviously, he will be careless about my complaint as well, but he will notice the consequences of his carelessness and disrespect when I won't let him come back. He's the smartest guy I know, but there's a limit to my admiration for his intelligence. I prefer to have friends who are less intelligent and treat me more fairly, who know the value of things, and who don't trash your house without even realizing it, since they mistreat their own stuff anyway.

Here's the latest news. They were in the kitchen and I got up, at about 1 PM, and said hi. And then I told her (he was loading his car) "please tell him to clean up the floor, there's bread on the floor since three days ago, we can't leave this mess like this...".

She goes "yesterday you threw away some bread that we were going to have for breakfast...".

I go "look, did you see the mess he left in there? Throwing out bread is nothing compared to the mess he left there...". And then i added "it's not fair that one guy does all the work, while other people don't do ****. It's the last time I am going on vacation with him", and then I left.

Then I went swimming and they were cleaning, and when I came back, everything was quite clean and orderly.

So this is good, but also not good at all. While I may allow him to go on vacation in one of the houses here (not in mine), if he pays, there is no way I will ever go on vacation with him again.

One thing is to be orderly, clean and respectful of your host. Another thing is act like a careless pig for two weeks, and then when your host gets fed up with you, you put everything back the way it was. Probably if I didn't tell him anything and didn't complain for 2 weeks, he would have done none of this, nor would he have done anything without the help of his non-invited friend. Tidy people don't tidy up but keep things tidy and clean all the time. They don't live in a ****ing sty for 2 weeks, and then turn into a regular house only when they leave. This guy is a ****ing pig and I am not letting him into my house ever again.

In the years we might have changed or it's just that we never had such a long vacation together. Maybe I got tidier and more intolerant, and he got messier and more careless. But there's a point where I stop caring about his great thinking and company, because I mind his careless behaviour too much.

Most likely tomorrow I will not leave with them. So I only have another six hours with them to go. My cousin will arrive at about 8 PM. I guess that leaves me with only 3 more hours to hang out with this guy. After which I will never have to live with him again. Nor will I live with any other guys unless I am first positive that they are not careless people, like the majority of people.

Last edited:
he's leaving tomorrow

The last guest is leaving tomorrow and I am staying for a couple more days.

We've talked for a couple of hours about our problem because he's too smart to not be told these things. The girl was there.

The agreement was on this: I am very tidy and orderly and this is good, but I am intolerant of other people who are not like me, and this is bad.

He is not tidy and orderly, but he thinks his method works best because it allows him to be relaxed, which I am not.

What we didn't agree with is who's right and who's wrong. I believe if I am the one doing the cleaning and all that, then I am right, because I am willing to do more work for the other. He feels such work is not necessary and so I should not expect even a guest to do it.

This guy is really good with words, and he might even fool me when he's wrong. The girl is generally more on his side than mine, but that's because they've known each other for a while.

The point is what is the general expectation of a guest? The general opinion and knowledge is on my side I think.

You don't expect a guest to invade your house with his properties but to keep them in his own room. Within a couple of days my entire house was full of his stuff: guitar, computer, camera, canoe, towels, clothes, food and other stuff. He just left it wherever he felt like it: kitchen table, chairs, sofa, etc.. This is number one in my favor, regardless of what he says he's a careless bum and I don't care how relaxed he claims to be, but - by a general accepted point of view - he's not being a good guest. Then one could argue that most people are careless bums, which might be the case.

Other problems, which are also all in my favor:

- you don't drop bread on the floor and leave it there for days, carelessly.

- you don't let mosquitoes in, to bother your house-mates

- you don't let your host wash your dishes every single day even if he volunteers to (after 10 days of this, I got fed up).

There's just too much stuff that makes him stand out as careless and disrespectful guest. On the other hand he's like this with his own stuff and house. So let's just say this guy is a careless bum and I won't live in the same house as him in the future. He can put it however he wants, but I am not sharing a house with him, ever again. I am glad at least I got to explain all my points to him. I am pretty sure however that he will still think that he's living a relaxed carefree life and that his carelessness will only cause him minor side-effects. What I told him about this is that he can do it because there are other people taking care of everything in his place. He didn't acknowledge this. He denies this fact. He says we should all do like him, more or less. The thing is that if the world were full of careless people like him, we would be having a lot more accidents of every type. Put such people in charge of weapons and other dangerous things, and the world would get ****ed each day.

I give you and gave him a few clear examples:

1) You don't place a glass of water next to your computer or even worse mouse.
2) You don't leave a computer with a chord stretching mid-air across the room when there's people walking around.
3) You come home and you hang up your jacket instead of throwing it on your bed.
4) You don't let dishes pile up in the sink.

He argued against each and every one of them, saying his method was better in that he never stressed out about these things, and if his computer broke every 2 years, he would just buy a new one, which would still make it worth it for him, since he didn't worry about it for 2 years. He lets the dishes pile up and only washes them once a week. He lets his bed become a mess.

Basically instead of keeping his house in order, he just tidies it up once in a while. But that way he rarely enjoys the advantages of orderliness. He's constantly forgetting things.

Anyway, to make a long story short, the general agreement of these two guys is that I am the sick one. The one who washed their dishes the whole week, threw out the trash, took in the laundry before it got wet, is the one who has to be cured from intolerance and obsessive-compulsive behaviours. The guys who trashed my house for the whole week and the good examples to follow, in that they lead relaxed lives.

To this I say that these to guys are goddamn idiots, mother ****ers, and they're not sharing a house with me, ever again.

Of course they can relax - I am taking care of all unpleasant things for them. You mother ****ing idiots. If you guys did your share, I'd be able to relax a little more, about things not getting out of control. These two ****ing idiots. Next year they can rent any house in the neighbourhood but not mine. let alone occupy it for free. And I'll be very relaxed. I will go as a guest to eat dinner with them, and I will trash their house and be relaxed.

Last edited:
Re: he's leaving tomorrow

The last guest is leaving tomorrow and I am staying for a couple more days.

The point is what is the general expectation of a guest? The general opinion and knowledge is on my side I think.

Hi

the answer to that is easy in my opinion: courtesy and respect. If I invite someone to stay in my house (humble though it be) then they should show consideration for my property, feelings and unwritten house 'rules'. For me it's a given but I suppose everyone is different; however if I've been good enough to have someone stay, which in my case is usually in-laws, and they're disrespectful, then they will never be invited again.

My philosophy in life, or one of them, is that I generally expect to be treated by people as I would like to treat them (considerately at the very least), and if not then they cease to exist and I get on with something else - Life's too short!

I think perhaps you're too easy going and maybe don't like to upset people - which, to be honest, is one of my 'failings'.

Anyway I wish you well and trust returning to work will not be too traumatic an experience!

Regards,

Big Al

Yeah, you're right. He should cease to exist. But he's actually one of the people I liked best until now, so by this rationale I would be eliminating all my remaining friends pretty quickly.

Here's what I'll do. I will pay half of the rent for him to go live in another house (above mine), so I will feel I am being a good host, even though I am not actually hosting him and I don't have to deal with him.

I will definitely not live with this guy ever again.

One day by myself

The day was ok. My friends left in the morning and did a good job at arranging everything in order before leaving, even the last few things they hadn't taken care of.

This shows great effort on their part. I might end up forgiving them, but I still won't live with this guy ever again.

As soon as he left, I found a new enemy to obsess about. The germans upstairs, in the apartment above mine, rented by my aunt. Their children playing with the soccer ball, and the parents playing flute and clarinet, have been bothering for a week, but I never hated them as much as today, because I was able to focus all my hate on them, since my previous enemy number one had left.

This is how I am. As soon as I'll get back to Rome, I'll hate the door slamming neighbours again, with all my heart. I never tell anyone anything - I just hate the mother ****ers.

I live unhappy. Something is definitely wrong with my behaviour. Either because I am intolerant or because I don't speak up.

Forgiving my friends means that I will let them stay at my house or that I will split the expense of my aunt's apartment next year. Definitely I will not live with this guy though - he's no good.

more about my relaxed friend

He goes "i'm relaxed, you're stressed out, so my method is better". Sure you're relaxed. You're the one trashing my house, while I have to clean up. I don't care that you also trash your house and mistreat your own things. You're not doing it on purpose but the end result is that you trash my house and disrespect my things. I don't give a **** that your standards are low in general - you're not going to convince me that there's something wrong with me. Next year I won't let you stay in my house. If you're a real friend, you'll rent my aunt's house. Otherwise you're just exploiting me. Probably then he will not come, and I'll feel lonely and as if I've lost a friend. Too bad, I don't want to feel like I am the one being exploited.

Re: more about my relaxed friend

Today you've got my total sympathy. The guy in the flat upstairs from me had friends around last night and this morning I went outside and found the patio littered with cigarette butts, which has happened before.

The worst thing was that there was no-one to complain to. My girlfriend's away, the guy upstairs had left already, no-one is coming around today, so i just festered. I couldn't decide whether to nail the cigarette butts onto his flat door with nine inch nails which he won't be able to remove I know because he asked to borrow pliers once

- or to leave a note telling him I'm holding the cigarette butts as evidence to be used in a civil courtcase against him

- or just to grab him when he comes back and stuff the butts where his sun doesn't shine.

Eventually I just sent him a text message telling him it was totally unacceptable and I received an apology saying he'll do 'his best' to make sure it doesn't happen again. I texted back that I want him just to say simply that it won't ever happen again. Did he mean, he is so out of control of himself and his guests that he can't keep butts from falling out his window? It must be hard. I guess I should be grateful he's doing his best.

At least he's not a friend. Or perhaps it would have been easier if he's a friend.

Cigarette butts? yeah, you've got my sympathy as well.

Pretty funny post. Thanks for making me smile. I would have taken it much more personally.

As far as my friend, I will tell him that he can be as relaxed as he wants to, but he will have to rent a different apartment than mine (let alone stay for free at my apartment).

Back in rome, and back to my fixations. I definitely was on vacation for the past two weeks. Now everything here seems different.

changed my fixations, as expected

Just as expected, today I am focusing entirely on faults by the maid (buying the wrong stuff) and neighbours (slamming the door). On vacation, I briefly shifted to mistakes by my friend and housemate, and the neighbours, waking me up every morning with a clarinet concert.

In two days I'll go back to work, and, almost certainly, I will resume my complaining and criticizing of colleagues.

The constant is always my fixated and complaining mode. Probably the last time I was happy was decades ago. Once again, all this comes from my dad.

Pretty much all the confidence from my vacation and all the balance it had given me are gone. In a sense, I don't know what the point of a short vacation is, because it causes you more imbalance than anything else. Or maybe everyone should make less money and work less. If you gave me 6 months of vacation, then I'd be ok with a job. But 22 days of vacation are almost a problem, because they make me remember the good times when I had long 3-months vacations but don't allow me to experience them.

Tomorrow I'll go back to work and I feel like they almost don't want me back. They haven't complained when I left early (two days early) nor when i came back late (two days late). Now i've used up all my vacation days, pretty much. I wonder if they haven't complained because they knew how tired I was, because they were sympthetic or because or they're going to tell me that I'm fired when I get back. But that's very very unlikely. This stuff never happens to me, even though I am constantly worrying about it. This stuff hardly ever happens to any of my colleagues, who behave much worse than me.

There's a guy who took bribes who's presently working as a manager at my Compliance department. Now, with a guy like that as a boss, everyone feels safe about their job. If he's there, everyone else is quite safe.

I don't know. I'll watch a movie:
http://stagevu.com/video/zszvlodbfeyh

Something Wild. One of my favorites.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.