My Fill of FTSE

JonnyT

2,560 22
Hi folks,

Tried to place an order for the FTSE Futures today (my first real FTSE future order) and didn't get a fill within a minute (Market Order).

Lost a 30 point trade because of this :(

Is this common?

How long does it normally take to get a fill?

I'm used to the emini's where you just don't have to wait.

Thanks

JonnyT

options

2,374 218
I thought you were.

No, this isn't normal.

market orders are normally instant.
even limit orders as long as they are close to the price only normally take a couple of seconds.

This is assuming you are not trading more than 5 contracts at a time.

Even when using a underpowered/dial up standby computer the above only takes a little while longer. Market orders have never been more than 3 secs in my case.

Only thing I can think of, is if you are using the desktop version and on installation you didn't take the europe site and the order is pinging back and forth.

I'll let you know if I think of anythink else m8.

JonnyT

2,560 22
Hi options,

I did chose the US option when I installed TWS. I wouldn't have thought it would make that much difference!

The order was for a single contract.

I'll try again and see what happens!

Thanks for the reply.

JonnyT

Henry

177 2
Agreed, not normal for IB / FTSE. I generally get a fill on a market order within a couple of seconds, and a limit in well under 10 seconds (assuming the market does shoot away from the limit price of course).

H.

ianp

179 7
Hi Jonny,

market orders are filled in seconds, I use easy2trade ,
I am about to change to ib maybe not such a good idea !!

ian

JonnyT

2,560 22
Just placed the first FTSE trade. Fill almost instant.

However I had an heart attack when TWS immediatly showed me I was down £2000

After much checking it looks like a bug in TWS...

JonnyT

JonnyT

2,560 22
Another quirk!

I got stopped out, the price did go past my stop but when the fill came it was at 0.5 points less than my stop so saved me a fiver!

Is this normal?

JonnyT

TBS

385 0
Depends on what is happening in the market, certainly I have had more price improvements recently than for a long time - but also some horrible fills if the market is moving away from you really quickly.

All part of the game.

waytogo

162 0
ianp

Can I ask why you are changing from Easy2trade to IB? I have just opened an account with E2T after finally giving up on spreadbetting companies. Are E2T in any way unreliable?

ianp

179 7
Waytogo,

I like easy2trade but I want to day trade U.S. stocks as well as
ftse futures so I need $25000 in ib account , so it seems silly to
have margin with 2 brokers ..

ian

Helenqu

Established member
841 3
I'd have thought that the huge commission charges with e2t would rule them out for most people.

RogerM

Established member
752 6
Had no problems with virtually instant fills on ftse, sometimes a point in my favour on a limit order. I use the European site, and the TWS standalone s/w. The profit/loss column is in pennies - so yep, 2000 down is £20, or 2 pts for a single contract. Gave me heart failure the first time as well.

I'd suggest that you ALWAYS input a "catastrophe stop" into the system (if not using a trading stop) as the telephone backup is not very quick - and suspect it would be none existent if the system went down.

JonnyT

2,560 22
Hi Roger,

My current PnF system has a 9 point stop entered once the trade has been filled.

JonnyT

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock