Daytrading FTSE index - order size and instant fill

A most enlightening thread, thank you everyone. Totally agree that spread firms are most suited to position trading and IB/Level 2 etc. for daytrading.

In regard to spreadbet firms bias, I have cut and pasted the following, with thanks to and copyright tradingspreads.com.

The Dow is sitting at a level of 10,000. The Spreadbet Company quote is 9,997 to sell and 10,003 to buy. You decide to buy and the Dow moves upwards over a period to 10,025. The quote from the SB company is now 10,222/10,228 (ie. 10,222 to sell and 10,228 to buy). You sell the Dow to close the Buy trade and realise a profit of 19 points (10,222 - 10,003). This is an idealised situation, you have called the direction correctly and the SB company quote straddles the current value of the Dow. In practice it is not often that the SB company quote will nicely straddle the current value and so it is unlikely that you would get two good quotes (one for the entry and one for the exit). The SB company will bias the price they quote and this can have a significant effect upon your potential gains and losses.

The first point to make here is that even though the Dow moved 25 points you will only have realised 19 of them. The other 6 points have paid for the spread.

Using the above example you have probably entered the trade because the Dow is going up. This being the case the SB company will probably have noticed this as well. They will bias their quote to reflect this upward movement and so, even though the current level is 10,000, their quote will probably be 10,000/10,006 (or higher). So, your buy price would be 10,006. When you decide to close the trade you have probably made this decision because the index seems to have reached its high for the moment and your view is that it is more likely to go backwards than forwards now. Again, the SB company will probably have a similar view and will bias their prices accordingly. So, the actual is now 10,025 but the SB quote 10,019/10,025 (or lower). To close the buy trade you will now sell at 10,019 to achieve a profit of 13 points (10,019 - 10,006). This would be a typical trade, the Dow has moved 25 points in your favour but you have only managed to bank 13 points. You have given away 12 points in spread and bias.

In the above example you can quickly see that had you got the direction wrong and the Dow had gone down that your loss would have quickly been very large as the SB company moved from a positive bias to a negative bias.

Spreadbet Company Price Bias

It is widely accepted and known (the obvious exception being SB company glossy promotional literature) that the SB companies quote, whilst being based on the underlying instrument, can be heavily biased in the current direction of movement or in an anticipated direction of movement. This is most obvious immediately before, at and immediately after the open of the days trading. It can occur frequently during the trading day as the SB company anticipates movements and attempts to balance their quote taking into consideration, amongst other factors, the Futures price and other SB companies prices. This bias can be very significant and can make the difference between a profitable trade or a trade that loses even though you have called the direction correctly. When the quote is significantly out of step with the actual level of the Dow then do not trade it. Every point of bias that you give away is a point you need to get back to be in a winning position for the trade. I have seen the quote as much as 50 points away from the actual and 6 to 12 points is not uncommon.

When the current level is 10,000 and the spread is 6 points and the SB company price to buy is 10,006 ie. 6 points above the current level (not uncommon) then a small reversal on the actual or a change of sentiment could cause the SB company to reverse the bias. It is unusual that they would do this in one step but it can be done in two or three quick steps which would not be uncommon. The position you are in now is that the original bet would have cost you 6 points to close if you had closed it as soon as you had opened it (ie. the spread). Your new position is that the actual index has reversed by one point but the SB company has reversed its bias and is now quoting 9,999 to buy and 9,993 to sell. You now have a loss of 13 points if you close at this point.

Taking another view, the SB company can also let the actual catch up with their quote. This means that if you had bought at 10,006 when the actual was 10,000 and the actual now moves up to 10,006 the SB company may not move its quote. So, the index has moved in your favour but to close you will still have a 6 point loss. This is not uncommon and can be seen a number of times a day when trading the Dow.

The bias is an aspect of spreadbetting that is not discussed very often but you need to be aware of it if you are to maximise your gains and minimise your losses when trading the Dow using spreadbets.

Cheers,

Frugi

Hi Frugi

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to post. While I no longer trade the DOW all that you mention I have witnessed when I did trade it and to a lesser extent now see this when trading the FTSE.

While some would say there is no manipulation by SB companies it is just the effect of the 'cash to carry' creating there own price but it does always seem to me that if the real price moves up by one then the immediate reaction of the SB price is to move the price down by one and so on. The trend remains the same but the FTSE SB price will continually be placed on the opposite side and as you explain there are periods that I refer to as the SB company 'drawing breath' where they appear to hold a position regardless that for the most part they have followed all the price changes the real price has made with opposite moves and then suddenly they do not move the price even though the real price has just moved by 2 - 4 points. If the real price holds then they gradually move it up otherwise if the price starts to move back they move there own price down appearing to create a bigger gap in the difference between the real price and there own. Which can be frustrating if it is against you.

At the end of the day you maybe better off trading through conventional means especially as SB is thought to be free of tax but if you appear to make an income from it then if you could be liable to income tax and you will not be able to off-set any losses during the year as you can with Futures etc. The tax issue that the SB companies always claim you are free from in your dealing is the VAT because it is considered gambling but this apparently has no effect on the issue of income. If tax comes into play then this being the only bonus of trading through SB you might as well trade through conventional means because the spread is better, you get a quick fill to your order unlike the delays from SB's and the chart has less fluctuations than those provided by SB prices and as I already said when you get it wrong you can off-set losses.

regards Kevin

Would it not be possible to argue that the spreadbetting companies have no better idea about where the market is moving than we do? The only advantage they have over us is the spread. In fact the well published fact that they do funny things with their prices could in fact be a disadvantage to them. A trader who knows what they are doing can always take advantage of an incorrect price. It might mean a different sort of strategy, but it should be possible. Just a thought ...

Hi Kevin, jls,

Just to remind you that the Futures industry is exempt from VAT.
If you register as a Futures business you can claim back your tax on spending in that business.

Be lucky,

Frugi & Kevin456. I'm going to do you a favour and explain once and for all how and why spread betting companies make a price on daily cash markets.

Futures markets respond more quickly to news, events, or simple trading flows than a stock index cash market. It is a lot easier to buy 1 lot of Dow futures with a futures broker than it is to buy all 30 components of the index individually. For this reason, the futures markets tell us where, all things being equal, the cash market is heading.

If SB companies simply priced a market around the index, we would all be winners, as they would be ignoring the most up-to-date information from the market. In this instance then, it is not a question of them "biasing" their quotes. It is common sense.

Example. The Dow futures is at 8000. "Fair value" for the day is calculated at being around 10 points. That is, given the time up until expiry on the futres market and taking into account foregone interest, the futures market will be trading in this example at 10 points higher than the cash.

So the futures is trading at 8000, the SB quote for the cash will be around 7990. The cash itself may be trading at, say, 7985. The futures then rallies to 8020 in 10 seconds folling good economic data. The SB daily cash quote will follow the futures and will now be around (8020 - 10) 8010. BUT THE CASH MAY TAKE A FEW MORE MINUTES TO GET TO THIS LEVEL.

Perhaps if you tried trading "daily futures" markets instead, you would see that these markets generally are quoted right around the underlying futures market.

Please can we all try and understand also that a financial SB always makes a TWO WAY quote, a buy and a sell price. So if you think a quote is "biased" too highly, then sell, and vice versa!! Or do not trade! If you have bought the Dow at 10006, then find the quote is immediately reversed to 9994 to sell, then your timing is poor. If this happens a lot you should not be "day" trading.

Hope this helps guys.

Hi slippy,

They also change what may be considered fair value sometimes around 2pm UK time, so that can affect a current trade...

JonnyT

Hi Jonny T,

Change fair values at 2pm? I have never heard of this and think it must be a coincidence. They might change it by one or two points during the day depending on business they are seeing, but not necessarily at 2pm.

I currently trade the D4F ftse cash (to save 2 points on the spread). I can confirm that the price parallels their future quotes. there is a price difference but this seems to remain the same throughout the day.

I have had only one instance of D4F spiking during the day and I suspect this was a system glitch. (I wasn't in a position at the time)

I thought I'd found one today as shortly after I closed for the day there was a 20 point drop in the FTSE cash while the S+P was rising. Checking to the D4F futures chart and later to the delayed futuresource data confirmed that drop mirrored a genuine drop in the futures.

HTH

Dr. Mike,

I trade the D4f ftse cash and have positions open all the time. In the past I have witnessed a number of spikes. d4free normally say it was a "wrong price" and do nothing but on occasions they have executed a limit order which had not automatically executed. I haven't had this problem for a few weeks though.

John.

Dr Mike,jls,

It got very choppy late on with the end of 1/4 window dressing.
I've noticed that there's been a few more spikes this last week as well. Not a very good time at the moment.

Be careful,