My, €4.1k to €227k in 2 years, journal.

I think people get to carried away with all this talk of forward and back testing. You are making it more complicated than it needs to be. Simply put; you need to explain logically why doing what you intend to do will work, and most importantly why it will work in all market conditions.

If you can be precise about this you need to do neither; forward or back test.

Traders get the best results by being logical, not systematic. Systematic = restricted, whereas logical = evolving.

Here we go again, another one of the brigade where there's only one way of doing anything, namely his way!

This trait is usually universal in novice traders who've just found a way to make a bit of money in the markets (often flawed anyway). Not saying WW87 is, but it seems to be a common denominator for others.

I'm just back from squash.
played 4 different players today, unbeaten :clap:

our wee group plays 2 or 3 times a week, so looking forward to having a game with you when your winnings bring you over to Thailand :)

I need a bit of advice on rackets Rathcoole....

beginner-intermediate sub £50.

Any ideas?

mine's a Dunlop Muscle Weave
but I think most of the other lads play with Wilsons

mine's getting on a bit though and I could do with sorting a new one out for myself too

imagesCAT60JM8 lucky lucky.jpg

Here's something lucky, Ben. I'm playing with mine right now.:)

Has this changed into an EA now? How are you going to backtest a manual strategy for 10 years? Unless its day bars or higher you will still be backtesting in 5 years.

back off topic, how much was the holiday playboy? i'm off on my hols to Lowestoft in a week, i say hols but it's business too, need to pick up a kilo and a new wife while i'm there. wish i was you coz you got it made by the sounds of it.

All in spent around £6400 but a nice proportion of that came from the winnings in the Euro final...

Here we go again, another one of the brigade where there's only one way of doing anything, namely his way!

This trait is usually universal in novice traders who've just found a way to make a bit of money in the markets (often flawed anyway). Not saying WW87 is, but it seems to be a common denominator for others.

Not at all, and of course it matters not what anyone thinks, as they will do what they want to. I was just posing a thought that maybe the logic behind backtesting and forward testing is flawed, thats all.

In other words to test something, surely you really need to know what you're testing? If not everyone will waste time trying to formulate abstract concepts.

Each to their own; I agree with that.(y)

Last edited:
There's some truth to what you say.

I intend to exploit an observable market concept, however to trade it in a systematic fashion. Backtesting will give me the confidence to trade this method through the bad times it will inevitably have. To illustrate why i believe backtesting is crucial, imagine you and i are trading the same method, but ive done the backtesting, and you havent. We hit a string of 8 losses in a row (in reality there can be much more than this), however, i know these runs happen from my previous testing, but you think the method is "broke", therefore not taking the 9th trade, which is the large outlier. Guess who wins?

GTTY.

You're beginning to sound like a guru, Benj. When do we get the chance to pay $1000 per week for your FX signals??:)

dont mislead him...he has to grow "only" at the rate of 1.044% per week compounded...that means he needs to be around £25K at week 39 ....almost 9 months from when he starts....

here is a ready reckoner

I think you're off the mark a bit.

It isn't 1% per week. It's 1% per day...

Hi benj,

Ive just came across your thread. how are you getting on what is your total at now?
are you in profit?
I am a trader myself for the past year with a prop firm.
i haven't made 200k this year ive just got over the 100k mark. what your planning is ambitious but without doubt achievable .

I trade the European equities for the morning session and the us energies in the afternoon/evening session. i also trade the metals when things get busy.

What markets are you trading?
What software are you using?
What resourses are you using, squaks etc ?
have you came up with any strategies so far?

would like to chat with you about this

all the best

I think you're off the mark a bit.

It isn't 1% per week. It's 1% per day...

congrats for possibly the only person to notice and point out that. no wonder you a legendary member

actually give away is in the post itself. if you look at the image the % is ~ 4.3% per week (1.04 on the top left corner)

that post was in response to some other post that claimed op had to be at 25k by now (week 2 or 3) which was incorrect

he has 39 weeks to get to that point and that answer still remains

anyway all in jest so let the games begin

congrats for possibly the only person to notice and point out that. no wonder you a legendary member

actually give away is in the post itself. if you look at the image the % is ~ 4.3% per week (1.04 on the top left corner)

that post was in response to some other post that claimed op had to be at 25k by now (week 2 or 3) which was incorrect

he has 39 weeks to get to that point and that answer still remains

anyway all in jest so let the games begin

Don't split hairs. I'm sure benj will be able to beat those percentages by tarding at the weekends when the markets are closed.

I think people get to carried away with all this talk of forward and back testing. You are making it more complicated than it needs to be. Simply put; you need to explain logically why doing what you intend to do will work, and most importantly why it will work in all market conditions.

If you can be precise about this you need to do neither; forward or back test.

Traders get the best results by being logical, not systematic. Systematic = restricted, whereas logical = evolving.

It's obvious that you need to have a reason for the trade and then you'd still need to test it rather than risk the full £5k only to learn your reason is flawed.