My, €4.1k to €227k in 2 years, journal.

Back on topic.....
When are you actually going to start trading Benj......??

Im not sure yet jungerns, its been a bigger task than i gave it credit for at the start! :LOL: £5000 still fully intact though (y). ONce ive got a strategy down though, im going to go about backtesting it - im going to trade "systematically", as i want robust methods that have stood the test of time. Im talking 10+ year backtests and showing a clear edge with "consistent" performance metrics (obvs. gonna vary over time, but should have an approx. constant avg. value) :smart:.

GTTY.

Back on topic.....
When are you actually going to start trading Benj......??

back off topic, how much was the holiday playboy? i'm off on my hols to Lowestoft in a week, i say hols but it's business too, need to pick up a kilo and a new wife while i'm there. wish i was you coz you got it made by the sounds of it.

back off topic, how much was the holiday playboy? i'm off on my hols to Lowestoft in a week, i say hols but it's business too, need to pick up a kilo and a new wife while i'm there. wish i was you coz you got it made by the sounds of it.

Ive heard Lowestoft is lovely this time of year. Have a nice time. Gene Simmons thought it was ace.

Reactions: 212
I'm glad you're taking your time.

Forget back testing. Read up on "curve fitting". Forward testing and testing with small risk is the only way to really test a system. And you need to do it for long enough to ensure you're able to trade in all market environments.

Keep us updated. :)

Forget back testing. Read up on "curve fitting". Forward testing and testing with small risk is the only way to really test a system. And you need to do it for long enough to ensure you're able to trade in all market environments.

I beg to differ. Unless you're willing to forward test for 10 years, 5 years absolute minimum, then backtesting is the only solution. If you forward tested a negative expectency FX trend following strategy during 2008, and decided it "worked" because you were up 50%, how do you think you would've fared thereafter??

I abhor curve fitting, which is why i don't intend to do it. Simple is the way forward. Yes, some years will be breakeven or a little down maybe; that's the price of trading robust methods, but the good years more than make up for it. Just my humble opinion of course, still trying to bring it all together.

GTTY.

I beg to differ. Unless you're willing to forward test for 10 years, 5 years absolute minimum, then backtesting is the only solution. If you forward tested a negative expectency FX trend following strategy during 2008, and decided it "worked" because you were up 50%, how do you think you would've fared thereafter??

I abhor curve fitting, which is why i don't intend to do it. Simple is the way forward. Yes, some years will be breakeven or a little down maybe; that's the price of trading robust methods, but the good years more than make up for it. Just my humble opinion of course, still trying to bring it all together.

GTTY.

I think people get to carried away with all this talk of forward and back testing. You are making it more complicated than it needs to be. Simply put; you need to explain logically why doing what you intend to do will work, and most importantly why it will work in all market conditions.

If you can be precise about this you need to do neither; forward or back test.

Traders get the best results by being logical, not systematic. Systematic = restricted, whereas logical = evolving.

I think people get to carried away with all this talk of forward and back testing. You are making it more complicated than it needs to be. Simply put; you need to explain logically why doing what you intend to do will work, and most importantly why it will work in all market conditions.

If you can be precise about this you need to do neither; forward or back test.

Traders get the best results by being logical, not systematic. Systematic = restricted, whereas logical = evolving.

There's some truth to what you say.

I intend to exploit an observable market concept, however to trade it in a systematic fashion. Backtesting will give me the confidence to trade this method through the bad times it will inevitably have. To illustrate why i believe backtesting is crucial, imagine you and i are trading the same method, but ive done the backtesting, and you havent. We hit a string of 8 losses in a row (in reality there can be much more than this), however, i know these runs happen from my previous testing, but you think the method is "broke", therefore not taking the 9th trade, which is the large outlier. Guess who wins?

GTTY.

Ive recently taken up squash

I'm just back from squash.
played 4 different players today, unbeaten :clap:

our wee group plays 2 or 3 times a week, so looking forward to having a game with you when your winnings bring you over to Thailand :)

I'm just back from squash.
played 4 different players today, unbeaten :clap:

our wee group plays 2 or 3 times a week, so looking forward to having a game with you when your winnings bring you over to Thailand :)

Well played! Yeah ill take you up on that game, cheers.

Im playing tomorrow, looking forward to it. I think im starting to get hooked on it. There are worse vices though :LOL:.