Multiple Nicks - Let's Take a Look

Nice try CM, but I have a copy of the original post before you asterixed out the full details (even though as a mod the edit doesn't show).

...which makes me wonder just how long, if at all, this thread will continue to exist....mods, bless 'em...

Actually Bramble, it was me who edited the posts not CM - I thought it might be in everyone's best interests, but at this exact moment CM is probably unaware of my editing.

RR - it would have been in everyone's best interest's if CM had checked this situation out with me before going public.

Or before listening to the poisoned meows...

ChartMan said:
The IP address 174.75.129.2 is used by:
TheBramble
StockBaron

The IP address 81.168.13.90 is used by:
TheBramble
StockBaron
GirlPower
O|K Martin, I've checked my static IP address with Eclipse and it's the 81.168.13.90 (hackers - you might want to test out my firewall, thanks Martin).

However, I'm unclear on the 174.75.129.2. Can you ask Skim what this one is? I've used a number on Internet cafes etc.both here and abroad and wonder (if this is one of them) why you haven't picked up the others?

McDonalds in the Strand was a favourite as was the Easy Cafe at Traf. Sq. while negotiating my company sale. Why haven't you got any of these?

Come on Martin...if you're going to fry my ass you'd better get yours in gear because I'm really p*issed at you.

I'm not at all sure there's any way back from this -
multipe nics only becomes an issue, in my view, when it's done with the intent to deceive - in fact in response to this all blowing up, and suggestions that I was posting under multiple nics from a couple on here -including yourself Tony, as far as I can tell from reading the posts - I checked myself out as best I could. I'm satisfied I don't have a multiple personality disorder, what I mean is I went trawling and found a 'daveb' account with my profile info in it from about 2 years back, that has made zero posts.

I assume that was perhaps one of those 'cookies' issues where the site wouldn't remember the user from one post to the next and I probabl re-registered trying to sort it out... I also, knowing me as well as I do, probably emailed Paul to say I'd done it.
I'm posting honest opinion, but others are not - what can we do about it though?

Would multiple nic policing stop it? Probably not, after all I can sign on here as 'Miss Muffet', spend a week or two being nice, then slipping the knife to anyone I choose to pick on - believe me, I could do it, I'm only surprised at how crudely most of the deceivers perform their dirty deeds - a bit of subtlety would be far more effective.

I think that rather than banning signatures with website info etc there should be a requirement for anyone selling goods or services into the trading arena to flage that up, perhaps one of these bl***y stupid symbols, stars and goodness knows what else could then serve a real purpose - alerting the reader that the poster MIGHT be posting from a commercial viewpoint, and MIGHT therefore have a reason to be posting derogatory comments, or suggesting 'a good course in Druidic Chart Analysis is what you really need'.

Warming to my theme a small icon of a sheep's blood cross might be available when sufficient votes had earned an 'avoid like the plague' rating for a poster.

I also think the Mods should step in sooner with a heavier touch - I apologise in advance for the occasions my posts would warrant that - I am aware that as it's a voluntary arrangement this involves more work, but a 'report to the mods' button (if not overused) might solve that issue in large part. There is room for healthy, even quite strident debate, personal attacks no... and as running multiple nics is viewed here as reprehensible behaviour I think it would be a good idea if these were vigorously policed (if possible) with a polite request to explain the apparent problem being the first step taken.

The degeneration here is visible in two ways - posters are becoming less polite with each other, and your mum would be ashamed (you know who you are, no shuffling at the back), and there is a perception of greater intent to deceive. (Perception - it might not, in fact, be so).

Users would do well to judge posts on content, there is, in the end, no way to tell if a poster is Captain Honourable, last bastion of Justice and all round good egg, or Silas Slimecruttle, purveyor of drugged white gentleladies to the Moors.

(And that last bit is a caricature, not a reflection of genuine views on anything, for those who've had their tolerance bone removed).

Dave

I have been out all evening. I will reply fully tomorrow, but for now please note:
No one is pulling my strings.
I have no axe to grind or tit for tat action just because something else happened or someone had a go at someone else. I refer specifically to Bramble's self confessed "go" at Socrates. I don't give a hoot. It has nothing to do with multiple nicks.
I will repeat myself. We have nothing against genuine errors over multiple nicks. it is the deliberate deceivers that we want to stop.

DaveJB said:
I'm not at all sure there's any way back from this

I think that may be right. It's a very big issue, and so it should be, too.

As an almost complete outsider with absolutely no 'locus standi' whatsoever, and therefore a lot of objectivity, (for anyone interested in my "potential bias" on this issue, in the past I've exchanged exactly one PM each with Martin and Tony and found them both to be kind, helpful and courteous!) with an increasing sense of macabre fascination with the developments, it seems to me that a very serious allegation has been made in public against a member by one of the moderators, and it needs to be either very convincingly substantiated or equally convincingly withdrawn in public.

ChartMan said:
I have been out all evening. I will reply fully tomorrow,
Martin, it is tomorrow now. Where is your reply and the responses to my very reasonable questions?

ChartMan said:
I will repeat myself. We have nothing against genuine errors over multiple nicks. it is the deliberate deceivers that we want to stop.
OK. All you have to do now is prove I'm a deliberate deceiver.

However, more than a few might be asking:-

1. If you have a whole cupboardful, of 'evildoing deceivers' why pick on me (who has neither multiple nicks nor deceptive intent) to 'out' - when the are so many others. Why not pick on those you do know have commercial intent or financial vested interest

E.G. Is DaveJB still Zenda as you PM'd me less than a week ago or is he now not?

2. Why did you publicly on these boards make your accusation (by implication) without any prior private correspondence giving me an opportunity to provide the explanation I've been forced to give in public.

3. Disclose my full personal information details on these boards - in contravention of current UK law?

I've PMd you and the other mods and admin yesterday and received no reply. I don't like being ignored. You have one more day.

If by end of play tomorrow I get neither a public apology for your false accusations based on ill-founded assumptions and shoddy research or a response from admin/mods I will take action against t2w without further notice. I don't care if Paul if away. I want this sorted. Right ****ing now!

Have any of you ever considered the possibility that if you are genuinely intent on catching the bad boys that you should look for those that use all those techniques necessary to evade your amateurish detective work?

If you have any integrity you'll resign your moderator position.

You have the floor.

Crikey!
Now I AM annoyed - Tony, as I PM'd you, I'm as pure as the driven snow - and Chartman apparently now owes me an apology as well, as nobody has ever contacted ME to clarify anything and as far as I am aware there are no grounds for imagining I was/is Zenda... for goodness sake, I'm the guy who asked Zenda to lay off the Insight review guys - since when have I ever given grounds for anyone to suspect I'd start a fake fight with myself over reviewers looking at a spreadbet info site?

This is totally bl**dy bizarre - I can imagine somebody WITHOUT IP tracking resources etc guessing I might be some sort of moron, but for a mod to PM you with that totally incorrect information is, in my opinion, outrageous. Did anyone consider actually checking? I'm posting to one account from my Freeserve (Wannadoo, whatever) ADSL connection, I don't post from elsewhere - I don't remember posting from Florida in July when I was out there, so there should be a single IP address for my posts.... if T2W records show me and Zenda to be one and the same then T2W had better get a grip because it isn't damn well so.

There are others on this board with sufficient reason to be reasonably sure that I am not Zenda, apart from the fact that the suggestion is barking bl**dy mad to begin with.

Tony, at least you've been 'outed' publicly, I've been asking for the past week if anyone had any idea why people were accusing me of multiple nic use - I'm ESPECIALLY mad at Chartman, as I PM'd him 2 days back asking him to help sort it out, I guess now I can understand why I've not had a reply.

This is seriously out of hand - there are people disrupting threads for the sheer hell of it, some evidence to suggest disruption aimed at competititors from commercial service providers hiding behind nicknames, and apparently the only outing to be carried out is of Bramble and myself - Tony posts all over the place as Bramble, copiously <g> on multiple boards, the 'mulitple nic' stockbaron sounds like a second user on the same PC, there is no evidence in the posts I read from stockbaron to suggest that anything untoward is going on. I DEFY anyone to locate any posts from myself under alternate names, and on the odd occasion I have rubbished the opposition I have been careful to point out that I'm in the business also - you will find I have been 'down' on Updata, Omnitrader, and that idiot who asked me to pay £1800 last week to watch Ed Downs sell me Omnitrader... as far as I'm aware that's it in the past 2 years.

So, while decidedly dodgy stuff goes on, the flatfeet nab two passers by because they're using an Etch a Sketch for the photofits... what's next then - I can prove where I was when Poland was invaded!

Fuming doesn't even start to describe it -

Dave

The person that now seems to be Zenda is John B, not DaveJB

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/member.php?userid=1551

Hope that helps.

John B is John Bartlett and sells CD's in the T2win shop. He also seems to like to promote his own website. Not sure why he is allowed two names but perhaps a moderator could tell us.

Why can all the people who use more than one name have their original name underneath the new one? Then at least we will know who they were in the past

Last edited:
Cheers BB,
it was John B some time ago in fact - I've a nasty suspicion that I've been labelled simply because of a passing similarity in name. Of course there does seem to be some limited evidence to support JohnB = Zenda, whereas my company address is on my site's home page and last time I looked there's some 700 miles of Britain between me and where Zenda is apparently based... so I must really motor sometimes to keep the argument with myself going, musn't I?

Amateur hour, and somebody left the monkey cage open....

Dave

Yes Dave JB I owe you a public apology. I got you mixed up with John B.I am truly sorry for any embarrassment I have caused you.

DaveJB said:
Cheers BB,
it was John B some time ago in fact - I've a nasty suspicion that I've been labelled simply because of a passing similarity in name. Of course there does seem to be some limited evidence to support JohnB = Zenda, whereas my company address is on my site's home page and last time I looked there's some 700 miles of Britain between me and where Zenda is apparently based... so I must really motor sometimes to keep the argument with myself going, musn't I?

Amateur hour, and somebody left the monkey cage open....

Dave

Scooby-dooby-doo. Zenda pulls off her mask to reveal John B!

The Bramble
You invited me to post whatever I liked and I did so. The information is in the public domain. You have provided a plausible explanation as to how your multiple nick came to be. There still remains the question of Stockbaron.
I didn't pick on you. I was merely pointing out that Socrates has no multiple nicks. It was unfortunate that your name was mentioned in the same posting. It's a pity it was not one of the multiple nick members that we know are deceiving others.
Giving me a deadline to reply -or else- does not wash with me. I said I would reply today and I am doing so of my own free will, not because of your threat.
There have been no false accusations. There are two nicks (at least) associated with a single IP address. You had ample opportunity to offer a simple explanation instead of allowing this to escalate beyond all sense.You do yourself no favours. At the end of the day, eventually you gave an explanation. How did it slip your mind in the first instance?
If there are two nicks with the same IP address, one can only arrive at one reasonable conclusion. I don't subscribe to the idea that a ,for example, two family members both have a burning interest in trading, both have a burning desire to be members of T2W and both register separately, thus effectively having a " multiple nick". I would suggest they are more inclined to share a single nick. In any event, the probability of two family members being interested in trading is remote, I would suggest.
If you have any integrity, you will accept that we are trying to weed out the fraudsters. At no time have I suggested anything other than the fact that you appeared to have multiple nicks. I have also stated that we have no interest in anyone that has genuinely overlooked or perhaps forgotten that they re registered due to PC problems or whatever.
I do have integrity, but I do make mistakes. It is up to others to point out those mistakes so that they can be corrected.

I didn't pick on you. I was merely pointing out that Socrates has no multiple nicks. It was unfortunate that your name was mentioned in the same posting. It's a pity it was not one of the multiple nick members that we know are deceiving others.

Chartman I am confused you have as you say inadvertently mentioned The Bramble in a discussion over members using multiple nicks to deceive. Yet you have not mentioned the members that according to the above statement you know have multiple nicks and are deceiving others. Have they been PM'd about it?

dc2000 said:
Chartman I am confused you have as you say inadvertently mentioned The Bramble in a discussion over members using multiple nicks to deceive. Yet you have not mentioned the members that according to the above statement you know have multiple nicks and are deceiving others. Have they been PM'd about it?
The situation is being discussed as to what action will be taken.These are cases where we know deception has taken place.Some have already taken it upon themselves to rectify the error.

Odd,
my reply got zapped somehow -
I am now happy, as the mistake has been admitted and my innocence duly reported.
GG - Scooby then used to pull several more masks off didn't he?
...And wasn't it always Mr Taylor, the Dry goods store guy who did it? (He'd have got away with it too, if it weren't for those pesky kids....)

Dave
(The real one - I just checked, trust me)