Multi-Screen Trader station

I use a laptop with an additonal screen attached so I get two screens and it has been fine for my needs.

Paul

Jason,

It's usually possible to plug a monitor straight into an ordinary laptop and extend the desktop onto it with no additional cards or software. You do this from Control Panel >> Display >> Settings.

I use a mid-range Dell desktop with 2 x 19"s and a laptop for backup / additional charts.

PS I merged your two threads and moved them here to the Hardware forum ... hope that's ok.

Frugi is right as that is what I do. You dont even need a modern laptop as mine is a Sony Vaio and is now 4 years old and is still fine for all of this.

Paul

Don't the rolls of used ticker tape obscure your view just a teenie bit though Paul? I hear these new-fangled Nasdaq stocks sometimes trade over 100 shares a day. :)

PC user with 2 15" screens - Dell

hi,

I use a Dell desktop (2.2GHz Dimension workstation, single processor, HT technology, RAM 1MB, Level 2 cache of 512K) with two Dell 15" screens (DVI input) and NVidia Quadrofox processor. It has been working just fine for nearly two years now and I have TA software (Equis MetaStock fed by eSignal) running with eTrade platform.

It becomes more difficult when running anything data-fed in addition to it (e.g. eSignal platform, eTrade MarketTrader) as the broadband connection (BT, 1.1Mbps in my area) cannot handle all the data requests/streaming and the graphics processor cannot keep up with charts.

So I'm now thinking about buying an extra desktop with single big 24" screen to connect up and run separate software. Also thinking about LCD screen with in-built Freeview/HD decoder for Sky News feed and connect up to second PC as 2nd screen for Bllomberg internet feed. Any views how to improve?

CodeWrecker, London

how many markets are you watching?

to be honest, i would surprised if the system was slow with this. are you sure something else isnt wrong?

what have you changed since the 2 years it was working, and the issues you are now facing.

market data doesnt use that much resource up in relation to the computing power available today at low costs.

Hi Charliechan,

Damn quick reply. I'm watching LSE, NASDAQ and NYSE. eSignal feed into MetaStock limited to no more than 30 securities. Running some other mainstream apps aside: IE (warrants trading web app), Acrobat, Excel, Outlook and sometimes streaming TV.

Haven't changed anyting over the past 2 years but do notice that as I get my skills up, I want more facilities (Level 2 reading, more TA charts and graphs). So, thinking about either upgrading to state-of-the-art trader workstation (still researching that, not much info about) or just buying new desktop running on extra braodband enabled phone line (cheapest option).

Afterthought - elimiating unnecessary processes

I read on this forum about the need to eliminate unnecessary background processes which take up memory. The URL provided is unfortunately no longer actual. Defragmentation was also cited as a good (weekly) exercise.

CodeWrecker said:
I read on this forum about the need to eliminate unnecessary background processes which take up memory. The URL provided is unfortunately no longer actual. Defragmentation was also cited as a good (weekly) exercise.

Hi Codewrecker,

I have found that when runnning a lot of other applications, Etrade Market Maker with a single chart up can be a major culprit in slowing my system down (3Ghz Dell + 2 high spec Vid cards + quad screens). I dont know why that is, I can have a zillion charts up in IG Markets and have no problems whatsoever.

Zzoom.

Chart frequency perhaps?

You could try to adjust chart frequency so it becomes less intensive - obviously your trading style permitting. eTrade apps are very resource intensive - I've got the Market Pro too as an alternative to eTr Online TRsding 1.2 but find it too resource hungry to run. I've thought about running it on a separate machine, but haven't yet done so (cost factor).

Yes, I have been considering running it on a seperate machine... was thinking of getting a laptop a feeding (another!) monitor off it which would make 6 displays total... although unfortunately a major accident occured last night and one of the screens screens was smashed so im back down to 3 displays today. doh!!

Having said all that, not having a 4th screen is strangely liberating.