Multi-Screen Setups?

iota

172 24
Four screens work well for me. Here's mine:

View attachment 102374

The monitors are attached to Ergotron arms:

View attachment 102376

I also had to add a video card to my computer that would support 4 monitors. It was the ATI Firepro 2460:

View attachment 102378

Previously my setup was only 2 screens. But, since I upgraded to the four-screen setup, its definitely improved my efficiency.
You cleaned that desk before you took that photo, admit it!

Nice setup!

Reactions: wackypete2

Dubai

Established member
500 6
Currently running 3 monitors, done it over stages and each monitor is different but I kinda like it. Will invest in 3 new LED monitors soon as the latest 3rd monitor is LED and it simply blows the LCD screens away.

Run a 8GB, 2xNvidia graphic cards and the speed is very useful.

Attachments

Rossini

Established member
916 132
Currently running 3 monitors, done it over stages and each monitor is different but I kinda like it. Will invest in 3 new LED monitors soon as the latest 3rd monitor is LED and it simply blows the LCD screens away.

Run a 8GB, 2xNvidia graphic cards and the speed is very useful.
Do you find the LED monitors give less glare? I wonder if they become less tiring to look at?

R

Dubai

Established member
500 6
Do you find the LED monitors give less glare? I wonder if they become less tiring to look at?

R

The contrast/clarity is superb. I have to tone down the contrast/colour as it's so bright compared to the other 2 LCD displays.

amit1986

Experienced member
1,100 66
All four of my monitors are LED and they are DEFINITELY better than the LCDs I was using before. A lot less strain on the eyes.

2,342 637
NB. PC-savvy traders will probably know this anyway:
Connecting up multi-monitors - having myself recently gone from 2 to 3 necessitated a bit of research on the options - this may be of use if you're thinking of going multi-screen. Some options:

1. Go the gold-plated route and get (or upgrade) a PC with a graphics card(s) that can cope with 2/3/4 monitors. Setup easy with the included software. Possibly a bit pricey depending on your spec.

2. If you have an old/spare PC/laptop hook it up to a monitor and choose from following:
A. Have two separate keyboards and mice for the 2 PCs (works okay unless you try to operate one of the PCs with the other's keyboard)
B. Purchase KVM hardware which will enable you toggle between the two computers using just one keyboard and one mouse - having connected it all up and found some deskspace.
C. Use a software solution to make use of just one keyboard and one mouse, with the mouse & kbd operating across all monitors (as many as you want) as if working from a dedicated graphics card.
For the last option I've found 2 pieces of software which will do the job (both open source and cost-free for private use):

a. http://synergy-foss.org/ - bit fiddly to configure but great fun if you like IT challenges!
b. http://www.inputdirector.com/ - this is superb, works a treat, dead easy to set up in just a few minutes -- my recommendation.

Because the system requires networking of the 2 (or more) PCs you will need a router to connect both PCs (but you've almost certainly got one of those for your broadband and they usually have four ethernet ports or you could connect wirelessly if you require further IT challenges). This has the benefit of using an old PC which will suffice for most trading, and ensures a spare PC up and running should your main one fail (but it won't replace your broadband connection unless you have mobile WiFi also). If you're using a laptop with a half-decent battery you will also have a quasi- uninterruptible power supply. Also,don't forget to configure your laptop so that it outputs to the main monitor only and not the laptop screen, seeing as you will now want to shut the lid and hide it away under your desk! (or you can of course just use the laptop's screen as another monitor seeing as some of them are now mega-big).

I've got this setup with a netbook and my main PC (2 monitors connected via its own graphics card) and it works extremely well -- especially with the new Microsoft ARC smallish keyboard (50 quid at PC World or £33 on Amazon). Do note of course, that although the mouse & kbd work across all monitors, what you display on the various monitors depends on which PC they're connected to. Unlike the gold-plate option you can't display any window on any monitor - but then you'd only have one PC running. Pays yer money takes yer choice!

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: iota

stang3O2

21 2
Thanks for the info on LED screens. I would not have thought of these.
LED's look great but be aware that many of them do not have VESA mounts, which you may want if you have multiple monitors. I was going to buy LED's but this kept me from doing it and the LED monitor that i found with a VESA mount was about $100 more each so I went with lcd's. Also keep in mind when you are looking for multiple monitors how big the bezel is. I had some HP's that had an amazing picture but the bezel was huge and it left about a 4" gap between monitors, and I hated it.