MTPredictor

there is free data available at yahoo.com in the financial section, and i do not know how to exactly download and convert data. I know its free and another software company told me about it when they thought i wanted it for eod program, but i am interested in real time, let us know how it works out for you.

josephforex said:
there is free data available at yahoo.com in the financial section, and i do not know how to exactly download and convert data. I know its free and another software company told me about it when they thought i wanted it for eod program, but i am interested in real time, let us know how it works out for you.
Thanks for the reply. That's my problem too, I don't know how to download it myself.

tradrejoejack said:
Thanks for the reply. That's my problem too, I don't know how to download it myself.

Here is how to download prices from yahoo into Excel spreadsheet
1. Get to finance page of yahoo.com
2. Create a portfolio and put in it your index etc. e.g. Dow Jones (^DJI)
3. Click on "chart" of said index - right hand column
4. Up comes the chart and in the left column click on "historical prices"
5. Set date range
6. Click "Get Prices"
7. Click "download to spreadsheet"

Hope this helps - easy once you have done it once

mtpredictor

pat494, do you have mtpredictor and if so, can you suggest how far back for dates for day traders, swingtraders, etc.?

josephforex said:
pat494, do you have mtpredictor and if so, can you suggest how far back for dates for day traders, swingtraders, etc.?

I don't have MTPredictor but I look forward to hearing how you get on. Just as a guess I would suggest 2-4 years of data so as to include enough for long term moving averages etc ( if it uses them ? ) to get up and down market movements.
Good luck

Yahoo data is about as good as its price. Whatever software / method you use you must have good data. Try TC2005.

Hi LevII, what are the problems with yahoo ?
I don't use it so have no experience of it, but i have seen a few software vendors suggest it for free data.
So just wondered, because if you are a reletive newcomer, how would you know if the data was good or not ?
As you say, you must have good data.

A

It is simply frequently inaccurate and unreliable.

If you have a look you will find spikes and other corruptions throughout the data.

There's no such thing as a free lunch!

Data downloads-Advertised as free but not so

tradrejoejack said:
Just bought software today. Any good free data feeds to recommend. Trying eoddata.com, having problems with downloads. Any help will be appreciated. :eek:
There are 3 that I have checked out.
1. eoddata.com's data is not "clean" and sometimes not up to date besides the download problems.
2. Two others that you could look at are hQuote Pro and Quotes4u. They are not free but you pay a "one time" fee and supposedly no cost from then on. I turned them both down because of data quality problems (some of their sources are already available to anyone-eg Yahoo) but I did find a high quality data source at www.endofday.com-not to be confused with eoddata.com-above.
Their data costs $20/mo, is clean, up to date but is limited to North American (U.S and Canada) markets. Their customer support is excellent.
I have no connection to them whatsoever except as a customer.

Last edited:
MTP have a number of recommended data suppliers - just look at their site!

Free Data Feeds

LevII said:
MTP have a number of recommended data suppliers - just look at their site!
With respect, a small clarification. I was trying to respond to the free data part of his question. MTP has a number of excellent, recommended, fairly expensive (with the exception of hQuote pro and Quotes4u which are also on the MTP site) data sources. These datafeed (ESignal, CSI etc) sources are all excellent if you have no problem rationalizing their cost.

mtpredictor

i use esignal live signal, for daytrading its imporant to have up to the second pricing. for others providers, i have no experience. Still looking into mtpredictor and have found tradedecision software offers more feautures including back testing, do not know how good/bad this company is. anyone hear of them? www.tradecision.com

I am thinking of buying the real-time version. I would appreciate comments from people who are already using the software.
Thanks

I have been following the various threads on this site and from both here and the MTP home page I conclude that MTP is a trading program that can be subdivided into three parts. A money management, position sizing, risk management part which is excellent and a trade identification portion and trade management part.

The trade identification portion comes across as the weak link of the system having 30-40% positive R trades dependant upon own's expertise. So the question one needs to ask is why. There are various filters to help identify trades ie TS1, TS2 etc. Unless I am mistaken I have yet to see any buy/sell analysis done on each of the filters. I have read what a couple of new users posted as to their experiences over a six month period, taking only well defined trades, following stricktly MPT rules. One broke even. He did a further analysis of his trades and observed that his TS1 trades were break evens,
TS2 trades were +R and TS3 trades were -R. Good info. The other user suffered a -3 something R loss. Not good.

So the question then is has anyone done a analysis of the various setups indivisually for buy side and sell side ie (M) TS1 buy signals, W/L ratio, R value and expectancy, the same for the sell side and the same for all the other setups. This would give an indication of which signals to trade and also improve the % positive trades. One could then take this a step futher and run the numbers thro' MSA to analyse how to trade the setups.

If this analysis has been done by anyone could you pleeeeeeeeeeze post your results here as I am sure that it would be a benefit to many who are trading and those who are contemplating buying this software. So far the impression is that some succed with this software and many don't. The aforementioned analysis might help in reversing this impression.

This was posted by someone on the MTP site and they went ballistic. Seems they didn't even bother reading it. Guess they don't like research

If you want an independent day by day analysis of MTP then read Jack O Clubs journal. It ended about November 2006.

Pat494 said:
If you want an independent day by day analysis of MTP then read Jack O Clubs journal. It ended about November 2006.
Yep, still trading the TS2 (ie fifth wave) set-ups and it's doing okay. I've not spent much time since my journal analysing the results basically because my trading has moved in other directions, but a quick run of the scanner each morning throws up maybe one or two set-ups I consider worth going for each week. The returns are fine (low double-digit %), and I'm sure if I spent more time on it I could improve my win/loss ratios, particularly in the two other set-ups I now ignore, but I'm making money doing other things, so it's a question of opportunity cost. I just take easy bread-and-butter trades from it without trying to do anything particularly clever and it more than pays for itself, so that's fine by me.

By the way, anyone shortlisting MTP might also look at the Automatic Pattern Search thread that Pat posts to, as he seems to be having solid results with that, as a piece of software that runs on similar lines (ie a pattern set-up scanner) and he spent a lot of time researching the alternatives.

Thank you Jack o'Clubs for mentioning the APS thread and software. Both seem to be extremely interesting. Checked out the APS site and have downloaded the demo software. Pat494 how are you faring with your purchase of the software? Care to share your experiences?