Metastock Symbol list file

av1a

Last nite i was trying to make a symbol file & import it into metastock.
took like 2 hrs but still stuck.
what i did was made a file called xxxx.sym with
<company name>, <symbols>
eg.
Shell Transport, SHEL.L
TESCO , TSCO.L

Anyone know how to get UK (.L) symbols into metastock.

Obviously i'm novice to metastock
thanks

Download it from yahoo or somewhere where you can either get it in excel or CSV format.....

and then edit as follows...

1. Open a new ASCII file in a text editor (e.g. WordPad, Notepad).
2. Type the list of securities to add to the Symbol Database using the following format:

<security name>,<symbol>,<exchange>

Example:
Microsoft,MSFT,NASD
Apple Computer,AAPL,NASD
Oracle,ORCL,NASD
Iomega,IOM,NYSE

If the security name contains a comma (i.e. My Business, Inc.), the name must be surrounded by quotes (i.e. "My Business, Inc.").

There should be no spaces before or after commas. Each individual security must be entered on a separate line in the text editor. The <exchange> and <security name>
entries are completely optional. Therefore, the following format is also valid:

<symbol>

Example:
MSFT
AAPL
ORCL
IOM

In the example above, the ASCII file contains only one field per line (i.e., the symbol). Since the <security name> is not provided, the Symbol Database will attempt to provide a <security name> from the existing Symbol Database. For example, since the Symbol Database associates the symbol "MSFT" to the security name "Microsoft," the name "Microsoft" will automatically be used in the <security name> field. However, if a match is not found for the <symbol> in the existing list, the symbol itself will be used in place of the <security name>.

You may use the time separator specified in the Regional Settings found in your Windows Control Panel (e.g., 07:30), but it is not necessary.

3. Save the file with the extension ".SYM" (i.e. "Computer.sym"). If your text editor adds the ".TXT" extension (i.e. "Computer.sym.txt"), you will need to rename the file in Windows Explorer to remove the ".TXT" extension so the Symbol Database correctly recognizes the file format.
4. Place the symbol file in the same folder as the symbol database file (i.e. C:\Program Files\Equis\The DownLoader).
5. Open the Symbol Database dialog or the Open dialog. The name of the new symbol file will be displayed in the Type menu of the Symbol Database dialog, or in the list of available symbol types when you choose the online data vendor shortcut in the Open dialog.