Databull and Metastock

Healey

Hello everyone - need some help sorting the data feed side for metastock. Can't find answers on any previous threads.

I have just acquired metastock 9 which came with a data disc for the US / Canada which was populated with data up to 28th April 2004. This data was loaded on my hard disc in the following file structure:

Main folder - "Metastock Data"

Sub-folders - Canadian Stocks
Sub-sub-folder - Canada Venture Exchange, Sub-sub-sub folders - A-L stocks and M-Z stocks
Sub-sub-folder - Toronto Stock Exchange - sub-sub-sub folders - A-L stocks and M-Z stocks

Subfolder - Futures

Subfolder - Indices and Indicators

Subfolder - Nasdaq100

Subfolder - S & P 500

Sub folder - Stocks Grouped by Sector
Sub-sub-folder - each of the sectors by name, then sub-sub-sub folder for each industry by name

Sub folder - US stocks, sub-sub folders for A-D, E-J and so on

I have also created a sub folder for the UK stocks called "UK". I would like to have subsub folders for the sectors.

All fine and dandy so far. The key point here is that the data is duplicated in a number of places - once in the Stcoks grouped by sector folder, once in the main US stocks folder, and then one in the S & P 500 folder if relevant.

Having researched far and wide, I thought Databull would be the answer for the data feed. Seems a good deal - a one-off 99 Euros for ever. So I signed up. Having watched my PC chug away for 6 hours (no broadband here yet) and get 3/4 of the way through my first download, my power was cut by a thunder storm. I go in to the download report and find that it has not been doing what I thought it was. So I am now thoroughly frustrated.

Databull works by creating download lists which can be bespoked to suit your needs but are based on each main stock market. They are offering the following markets relevant to my needs:

NYSE
NasdaqNM
NasdaqSC
London
Indices
CNDX

The problem is that it will only download to one location. How do I get the data into my file structure where data is duplicated a number of times?

And they seem lacking in many of the indices that came with the Metastock disc ??

Grateful for any guidance - as yet no response from Databull help "service"

i use data bull with omnitrader and i found the same sort of problem.i finally settled with downloading all the symbols that i wanted to one folder and have omnitrader retrieve the ft100, ft350,sectors etc.
i think you might have to subscribe to a data provider if you want to append data to what's already there. :rolleyes:

sorry i don't know about metastock

fwiw, I use Hquote pro for commodities and equities. Good but slow and sometimes it skips over items so you need to check all items are updated. Upside, it dumps in Metastock format to portfolios in different folders and you can define the portfolios. Cost about $50US as a one-off then free data.

For forex I use Norgate. Cost about £6 per month (payable 6m in advance). Excellent, very fast and dumps in Metastock format. Downside, you take wht they give you, which is more than I have needed so far, though with a move to Oanda, I can use more of what it delivers.

Hope this helps

MT

Healey said:
Hello everyone - need some help sorting the data feed side for metastock. Can't find answers on any previous threads.

I have just acquired metastock 9 which came with a data disc for the US / Canada which was populated with data up to 28th April 2004. This data was loaded on my hard disc in the following file structure:

Main folder - "Metastock Data"

Sub-folders - Canadian Stocks
Sub-sub-folder - Canada Venture Exchange, Sub-sub-sub folders - A-L stocks and M-Z stocks
Sub-sub-folder - Toronto Stock Exchange - sub-sub-sub folders - A-L stocks and M-Z stocks

Subfolder - Futures

Subfolder - Indices and Indicators

Subfolder - Nasdaq100

Subfolder - S & P 500

Sub folder - Stocks Grouped by Sector
Sub-sub-folder - each of the sectors by name, then sub-sub-sub folder for each industry by name

Sub folder - US stocks, sub-sub folders for A-D, E-J and so on

I have also created a sub folder for the UK stocks called "UK". I would like to have subsub folders for the sectors.

All fine and dandy so far. The key point here is that the data is duplicated in a number of places - once in the Stcoks grouped by sector folder, once in the main US stocks folder, and then one in the S & P 500 folder if relevant.

Having researched far and wide, I thought Databull would be the answer for the data feed. Seems a good deal - a one-off 99 Euros for ever. So I signed up. Having watched my PC chug away for 6 hours (no broadband here yet) and get 3/4 of the way through my first download, my power was cut by a thunder storm. I go in to the download report and find that it has not been doing what I thought it was. So I am now thoroughly frustrated.

Databull works by creating download lists which can be bespoked to suit your needs but are based on each main stock market. They are offering the following markets relevant to my needs:

NYSE
NasdaqNM
NasdaqSC
London
Indices
CNDX

The problem is that it will only download to one location. How do I get the data into my file structure where data is duplicated a number of times?

And they seem lacking in many of the indices that came with the Metastock disc ??

Grateful for any guidance - as yet no response from Databull help "service"

Ta everyone for your thoughts. Looks like I might have wasted £60 on Databull.

I just figure that there must be some way (perhaps in Windows XP itself) to automate the mass copying of a file from Folder A (created as a result of the Databull download) to another file in Folder B (from the previous update, but in the file structure as I want it), both of the files already being in Metastock format ????

But perhaps I am clutching at straws. Such is life.

there are a number. I use Beyond Compare

MT

Healey said:
Ta everyone for your thoughts. Looks like I might have wasted £60 on Databull.

I just figure that there must be some way (perhaps in Windows XP itself) to automate the mass copying of a file from Folder A (created as a result of the Databull download) to another file in Folder B (from the previous update, but in the file structure as I want it), both of the files already being in Metastock format ????

But perhaps I am clutching at straws. Such is life.