Mental Training: What about Chess?

MoeD

I recently started playing chess more regularly because I thought it's very similar to trading: You have to identify opportunities and threats, be patient and always be aware of the "whole picture".
What do you think? Is playing Chess helpful for becoming a successful trader?

Regards,
Moe

Last edited:
For chess to be similar to trading you'd need your opponent to have knowledge of your intentions afew moves ahead, a middleman to charge you for moving each piece - with a premium on moves when the game gets exciting - and the equivalent of the SEC to change the rules halfway through the game.

I recently started playing chess more regularly because I thought it's very similar to trading: You have to identify opportunities and threats, be patient and always be aware of the "whole picture".

Regards,
Moe

depends........trading in truth is a little less cerebral than chess and perhaps requires more sphericals ....:p

No idea if this will work but transforming just one letter at a time to link provided by 12WBT.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundels

I'm handing the torch onto the next player. The aim is to get to a wiki link which bears some resemblance to the OPs question.

For chess to be similar to trading you'd need your opponent to have knowledge of your intentions afew moves ahead, a middleman to charge you for moving each piece - with a premium on moves when the game gets exciting - and the equivalent of the SEC to change the rules halfway through the game.

Ever played against a modern chess computer? ;)

Apart from that: I think you guys got me wrong; I don't mean Chess can simulate trading - I think it's a good mental trainer.

To explain: I read some books regarding mental training and the psychology of trading and one thing they told me is, how important it is to train your brain in identifying opportunities and to distinguish them from opportunities your brain WOULD LIKE to see, because the human brain naturally is always trying to fool you; to let you see the thinks you like to see.
They also told me exercises like concentrating on one single point for several minutes to train your brain in focusing and identifying market situations correctly.

THAT for instance is what I think Chess is "simulating" perfectly.

Last edited:
You might be right. I'm sure empirical studies have been done on the topic, but even then, it's tough for any study to say or show what will work for one population will or will not work for another.

As for training your focus on a single unmoving point for several minutes; try several hours and you've got the forex market during the summer months.

Somebody posted a way back on here about an old zen master chess player who trained the apprentice monks by deliberately taking longer and longer to make his move and especially if there was only one possible move to be made.

Have I played chess against a modern computer? No. I'd rather spend my time on less intellectually challenging endevours such as posting on here. Better suits my impoverished skillset.

You might be right. I'm sure empirical studies have been done on the topic, but even then, it's tough for any study to say or show what will work for one population will or will not work for another.

As for training your focus on a single unmoving point for several minutes; try several hours and you've got the forex market during the summer months.

Somebody posted a way back on here about an old zen master chess player who trained the apprentice monks by deliberately taking longer and longer to make his move and especially if there was only one possible move to be made.

Have I played chess against a modern computer? No. I'd rather spend my time on less intellectually challenging endevours such as posting on here. Better suits my impoverished skillset.

Yes, I agree. Playing against a world cup winning chess computer is pointless and just frustrating if you're not having the mathematic brain like an computer yourself.
Fortunately there are software based chess games out there which let you adjust the level of difficulty but still force you to think.

Last edited:
Anything that keeps the brain active and challenged is probably a good idea...but then so is getting proper sleep.

Things I do.

Chess
Poker
Sudoku
Physics Games

We could ask Sharky to embed some apps here on T2W.

What exactly are these?

Whatever you do don't talk to my mother-in-law............she will suck all the intelligence out of you after 2 hours of conversation regarding

1) the weather
2) sainsburies deals on offer
3) the size of her freezer (too small)
4) Emerdale
5) the weather
6) the lady over the corridor who's dog barks all the time
7) the picture I wont put up in my house as i'm lazy
8) the fence I wont paint in my house (lazy?)
9) the bus service in Bognor
10) the lady over the corridor who's dog barks all the time

repeat above ad nauseam for 24/7

beam me up scotty :LOL:

N

Last edited:

Regards,
Moe

Rudimentary play is based around tactics and tactics is about pattern recognition mainly and when to employ some basic techniques to obtain material advantage.

Playing chess to an average level (rated 1500ish) and trading, I say neither give each other any edge.

Whatever you do don't talk to my mother-in-law............she will suck all the intelligence out of you after 2 hours...
I'm not formally trained in the cognitive psychology area, but, these fantasies you have about your mother-in-law, have you ever felt the overpowering desire to bring them into reality? If you do, please post photos. Cheers.

It's OK auntie timsk, NVP and I are consenting adults and can discuss such things without needing to write to Points of View.

However, if anyone has suffered trauma as a result of the public airing of NVP's innermost desires and my attempt at a therapeutic intervention, call 0800-MILF-NEAR-YOU and ask to speak with the next available 'counselor'.

I'm not formally trained in the cognitive psychology area, but, these fantasies you have about your mother-in-law, have you ever felt the overpowering desire to bring them into reality? If you do, please post photos. Cheers.

+1

The thing is, next time NVP sees his mother-in-law, he will not be able to stop himself from imagining the scenario I have so fiendishly implanted in his unconscious. I hope she's a looker, for his sake. Nothing worse for the inner-self than having sexual fantasies about ugly women. Apparently.

The thing is, next time NVP sees his mother-in-law, he will not be able to stop himself from imagining the scenario I have so fiendishly implanted in his unconscious. I hope she's a looker, for his sake. Nothing worse for the inner-self than having sexual fantasies about ugly women. Apparently.

Or maybe she isn't a looker and is just predatory, needy and longing for him and his best mate.......

......in this fantasy world that does not involve any real people or offends anybody because we are talking about fiction here and not fact....

Last edited:
Or maybe she isn't a looker and is just predatory, needy and longing for him and his best mate.......
Yeah, yeah. And I wonder if they ever considered having a chimp along as well for some truly simian action?

O......in this fantasy world that does not involve any real people or offends anybody because we are talking about fiction here and not fact....
Oh right, yeah, forgot for a moment. {disappointment}

Well, not everyone's cup of tea obviously.....but they do get you thinking !
http://www.physicsgames.net/category/All_Games_1.html

Take this as an example.
http://www.physicsgames.net/game/Magnetic_Moment.html

It's all about applying forces. So if we imagine that the ball being pushed about is price, then in order for price to move, a force has to be acting on it. Get the idea !
These could become addictive. Reminds me a PC-based game where you had to build a machine with the various components available, but the scope of what you could build and what it could do was quite astounding when you considered the relatively few components available. It was back in the day so doubt anyone else can remember it either as you are either to young to have ever known about it or too to be able to remember.

I came across an old archived thread on here that rambled on for ages about a plane on a conveyor belt. Stuff like that can rage for years with no clear consensus even when the obvious is pointed out.

These could become addictive. Reminds me a PC-based game where you had to build a machine with the various components available, but the scope of what you could build and what it could do was quite astounding when you considered the relatively few components available. It was back in the day so doubt anyone else can remember it either as you are either to young to have ever known about it or too to be able to remember.

I came across an old archived thread on here that rambled on for ages about a plane on a conveyor belt. Stuff like that can rage for years with no clear consensus even when the obvious is pointed out.

So, did the plane take off ? :LOL: