Article Member Profile: options-george

T2W Bot

Staff member
1,427 46
My Background Last month I turned 40. I have spent my life in equal thirds in Germany, New Zealand and the UK. Initially I qualified as a chartered accountant in NZ. But since the age of 25 I have always worked as a contractor, a freelancer or just independently in some form. I have tried and failed and tried and succeeded at quite a few things. I developed a habit of putting money to the side when the ‘sun was shining’, and that’s allowed me to get involved in various opportunities and to have a bankroll when needed.
Since August 2013 I have been trading full-time once again. In the two years since then, I have not made any profits from trading. I have not lost a lot either – I have approximately gotten to the point where I am breaking even or losing just a little from one month to another. I am not used to having to work so long without seeing success.
In this Member Profile, I want to get across my impression that I have found/am finding the journey to consistent trading...
Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Hallgent99

2 1
Good article. It's not easy making a living out of trading until the light bulb well and truely goes on. The professional commnunity get salaries. That's why all money mangers charge a fee or invest your money for better return than what they give you. Hedgies charge their 2 and 20, mutuals 2%ish. When you have $10Bn of assets under management say like a hedgie, that's $200m a year in minimum fees to run the enterprise and pay your salaries. Nice. Ideally, to take the stress away from trading, you need an income come what may. That's how a lot of pensioners get into it. Getting yourself to a positon where you have an income, passive or otherwise to pay the cost of living is essential. I've been at it a few years now. Still learning everyday. Prefer trading US stocks... volatile ones flagged up by free screeners helps. Sometimes stocks in the news can do well too. Successful traders that I see making money take big bites out of small moves otherwise you can be at the mercy of gaps against you and analyst down/up grades. I trade US stocks on Schwab platform. Commissions not too bad. Spreads are market, usually at 1c. Spreads for US stocks on IG outrageous so I don't bother. Schwab platform is OK but charting is lacking compared to ProRealTime. If only Schwab would provide an interface for ProRealTime...... Chuck, how about it? Anyway, enough of my wittering. Thanks for the history of your journey. You are not alone.

Reactions: options-george

Bludiver

1 1
It is true

<span>Nice explanation how trade works... Usually we focus on the luxury imagine of trading without realizing the hard work it is behind ...hard work, study, time and concentration...Reading the article i feeling myself in same situations and it help me to think to rewrite my strategies, learning from the mistakes .. Thank you for sharing your experience
Tony </span><span></span>

chronictrader

2,791 306
Thanks for sharing this - incredibly insightful. Took lots of nuggets from it for sure.

NVP

Legendary member
36,278 1,787
Excellent and honest profile

Very interesting profile.....anyone who has spent a long time learning the ropes,will identify with this path !

you will be successful it's just now a matter of time and letting the puzzle,finally fit

n

options-george

483 92
Very interesting profile.....anyone who has spent a long time learning the ropes,will identify with this path !

you will be successful it's just now a matter of time and letting the puzzle,finally fit

n
thanks NVP

I am still hanging in there for now....

with the benefit of hindsight, I could have obviously saved myself some time along the way! :whistling

options-george

483 92
bump.

I came across an article last week that resonated a lot with me in terms of my trading journey that I shared on here some months ago.

It essentially said that a big driver of whether we achieve something or not is how much hard work and pain we are willing to endure in order to get it.

Great read if you have a few minutes to spare, here's the link:

The Greatest Question

tokyojoe

Established member
866 287
bump.

I came across an article last week that resonated a lot with me in terms of my trading journey that I shared on here some months ago.

It essentially said that a big driver of whether we achieve something or not is how much hard work and pain we are willing to endure in order to get it.

Great read if you have a few minutes to spare, here's the link:

The Greatest Question
Good link O-G

Thanks