MA's vs EMA's

andrewmooton

192 1
I've just being toying around with some strategies that involve MA's and EMA's.

They involve buying and selling when they cross each other.

I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts about the pros and cons of each one.

Cheers,

Andrew

elliottmillion

29 0
my opinion, and its only my opinion, its a waste of time.

i have tried it exhaustively many many many times. are you using other indicators as well??

personally, i wouldn't use MA and EMA by themselves

andrewmooton

192 1
Yes I was just practicing day trading the dow using nothing but the cossover of the simple MA or exponential MA.

What would you suggest as an alternative?

oatman

2,879 22
Don't forget Weighted MAs. I played around with 21 & 55 on 1min for a while. OK when the market was trending. I think it's one of those things you look at from time to time.
Like all indicators, it's OK if you need something to "hold your hand" when you're in a trade.
I've used them for confirmation. ie. I wouldn't enter against the MA.
To be honest, I'm not keen on any indicators.

chump

2,212 274
As per Oatman..I also am not keen on any indicators..this may not be specific enough to help you..but do you wish to try and think about strategies from a different slant..that is do you think any strategy that is highly transparent will make consistent profits ? Xovers in the main fall into that category...

elliottmillion

29 0
everyone has tried moving averages of some sort. I once had a moving average optimiser and spent hours everyday finding a good combinition, sometimes using 7 or 8 moving averages at once, othertimes just using one.

markets change so often so you can't keep using the same MA combination for long

iceman1265

8 0
Andrew
I successfully day trade the Dow using only SMA's and achieve an average profit of 50+ points per day. It may not be the best strategy, but it is simple to understand and works for me.
Ultimately success is achieved by what works for you as an individual, not what does or doesn't work for others.

Iceman

andrewmooton

192 1
I'd really like to know how you make 50 points per day on the dow Iceman.

I'll be your best mate if you tell me.

chump

2,212 274
"highly transparent"..I mean anything that must be blatently obvious to the majority of onlookers

andrewmooton

192 1
In answer to you question then chump, i'm not sure if such a system would give consistent profits.

I dont have enough knowledge or experience to answer such a question.

What do you think about it?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock